Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding this as my workstation at home. It would be my first mac computer. I like the build quality and saw one in person, it was amazing. The problem is that it's not cheap. Anything out there that compares to this build but cheaper?

i7 Quad Core
8GB Ram
1TB and 256 SSD
27" Display (IPS)

UPDATE 11 Jan 2011
Due to a budget limit of $1900, this is what I brought home from the store today:

Government Discount
27" iMac
i5 Quad Core
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

I really did not want to spend $2000. These are "hard" times people.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You could get way more with a custom PC but you wouldn't get an all in one... If you want/need the IPS you could buy an external monitor with a custom PC that would destroy the iMac in terms of performance.

You can't overclock an iMac but you can overclock a custom PC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was a little put off by that (not being able to overclock the macs). I'll try to conjure up some parts for a custom build and see what my budget allows. I really want to be able to easily transport it without a big hassle. I tend to move every 1-2 yrs as I rent.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Why not a SFF system? You can fit an i7 with a good graphics card into an mATX case like the Sugo SG02 in my sigrig or a Langear Da Box. Small, portable, yet packs a punch still.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Do you plan on gaming? At my work I have a 24" dual core iMac of the previous generation from early 2009. I secretly have Steam installed on it and play Counterstrike late at night when I'm bored or waiting on a reaction (I work in a university lab).

The gaming performance is quite pathetic. The built in GPU is not very great. The problem with an all in one system is that you can't upgrade the GPU.

Otherwise it is a fine computer. It does everything else flawlessly and is totally silent. If you just need it for casual use it will be a fine computer. If you want a gaming rig or high performance machine, build your own and skip the iMac.

My only real negative critique of the iMac is its weak GPU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a 27'' iMac i5 2.66Ghz, 8Gb DDR3, 1GB HD... i've had for barely a year, make me an offer if interested, everything works great i have original packaging after i build my custom rig haven't really used it much

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Posting from my 27", I love it. Highly recommended, but you might want to think about waiting till sandy bridge comes to Apple.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope;11967732
Do you plan on gaming? At my work I have a 24" dual core iMac of the previous generation from early 2009. I secretly have Steam installed on it and play Counterstrike late at night when I'm bored or waiting on a reaction (I work in a university lab).
I don't plan on gaming, but if I did, it would be a RPG or Racing. I learned my lesson back in the day when I bought consoles and PC games - after a few months, I was burned-out on them and never touched them since.

You're right, I was a little disappointed in the graphics card choices. Mine has the ATI 5750 1GB card.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1b4ll;11969987
Posting from my 27", I love it. Highly recommended, but you might want to think about waiting till sandy bridge comes to Apple.
I considered that, but decided to take the plunge now. If I waited for SB to hit iMac, I'd might as well wait for Ivy Bridge. It's a never-ending struggle against THE MAN.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf;11967775
Dont buy now, refresh coming soon. I have one for work only and I love it, 27" core I7 2.9 w/ 16GB ram. Works great as a workstation. For home I have my sig rig, which is needed for gaming
smile.gif
This.

They're terrible for gaming (like all Macs) because of the lack of drivers btw. If you bootcamped Windows on there and installed drivers your experience (though still mediocre) would be 2x better than running it native on OSX.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts