Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

sudo apt install sl
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/11/facebook-expects-profits-to-be-hit-by-ios-14-ad-tracking-restrictions

Facebook representatives have reportedly reached out to key advertisers about how Apple's forthcoming ad tracking limitation in iOS 14 will affect them all.

Announced as a privacy feature, Apple's forthcoming iOS 14 will require users to choose whether or not to allow ad tracking. Facebook reportedly expects a significant number of users to refuse it, and has been trying to work with advertisers concerned at potential loss of revenue.

Ad tracking is the feature that lets an advertiser know that someone buying a product from a certain place online, was driven there by an ad in, for instance, a game. To facilitate it, Apple has a random device identifier tag called an IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers) which lets companies track the effectiveness of ads without gaining a user's personal data.
Glad to see a mobile OS taking action against Apps that are used for ad tracking. Might finally have to switch to an iPhone. I'm sure Google will follow soon like they've followed Apple's Safari with blocking third party cookies and one year certificate validity.

Super Moderator
Good. If Facebook goes down and never comes back, it would be of great benefit for everyone except Mark, Facebook employees and shareholders.

Registered
I feel its only time till we all use wechat instead of facebook,etc. Wechat is much better tool for online business advertisement, they literally have chat groups where you can join and sales people will post pictures of stuff and then you contact the sales person to buy the stuff. Before the ongoing cash flow issues, basically sales people at Neiman Marcus, etc would use wechat as way to contact potential clients. They would literally tell the sales person they want x item and then they would handle the charging over wechat pay/etc. Even my local computer reseller, Memory Express had sales people that used wechat to handle sales with clients. Apparently, they got people placing orders (for store pickup i assume) through the app. All professionals have wechat too now when they deal with the asian cliental. Only downside for professionals, you will be dealing with overseas cliental all the way into the morning hours (they don't care what hour it is in your local timezone).

Registered
I feel its only time till we all use wechat instead of facebook,etc. Wechat is much better tool for online business advertisement, they literally have chat groups where you can join and sales people will post pictures of stuff and then you contact the sales person to buy the stuff. Before the ongoing cash flow issues, basically sales people at Neiman Marcus, etc would use wechat as way to contact potential clients. They would literally tell the sales person they want x item and then they would handle the charging over wechat pay/etc. Even my local computer reseller, Memory Express had sales people that used wechat to handle sales with clients. Apparently, they got people placing orders (for store pickup i assume) through the app. All professionals have wechat too now when they deal with the asian cliental. Only downside for professionals, you will be dealing with overseas cliental all the way into the morning hours (they don't care what hour it is in your local timezone).
Nobody is going to use Wechat outside of China. Nobody is going to willingly inject themselves into the PLA's censorship and surveillance platforms in the west.

Facebook needs to die. It has done massive, enduring damage to society. If you haven't deleted your FB yet, you should do so ASAP.

Overclocker in training
Hi,
Still waiting for my new iphone SE but have no intention to go on facebook or browse the web for that matter all that much except to track a package/..

Registered
Nobody is going to use Wechat outside of China. Nobody is going to willingly inject themselves into the PLA's censorship and surveillance platforms in the west.

Facebook needs to die. It has done massive, enduring damage to society. If you haven't deleted your FB yet, you should do so ASAP.
That's bit of understatement actually. Depends on where you live. If you live in city like Vancouver, Toronto: Wechat usage is very common in all aspects of life. You see stores here accept wechatpay/alipay/unionpay as well. It's probably true of all places that has visible Chinese population.

Just different generation and its practices, the younger ones love to share photos publicly on the internet, etc. If you look at history, this is the same thing the 50's-70's born culture clash that occured between them and the pre-ww2 generation. You already are seeing signs of different generation clashing together. Gen-X and Y being well versed in both pre-digital/pre-social media and post. My perspective is that the current generation growing up has many concerning cases globally. Gen X/Y knows when to step away when you get too involved into things that you lose focus of what's actually important to your own life.

Regarding facebook, I still have my account but its more or less an ghost account with bogus information, I don't get how they allow John Smith alias on it. Me and my friends mostly use whatsapp and whatsapp group. Unfortunate, its also owned by facebook. I always wonder why the how does facebook find my friend's on that account. It's not connected to my primary e-mail account and even that doesn't contain the bulk of my friend's contacts. Probably whatsapp sharing my information to facebook.

Registered

Facebook is still just a symptom of the real problem, which is surveillance and tracking in general.
The Internet Economy is based on theft of personal information, people talk like it would be the end of the world if modern advertisement platforms disappeared, but as far as I'm concerned the Internet was outright more productive in the 90's before advertising really took hold.

• Rep+
Reactions: DarkUltra

PC Enthusiast
Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/11/facebook-expects-profits-to-be-hit-by-ios-14-ad-tracking-restrictions

Glad to see a mobile OS taking action against Apps that are used for ad tracking. Might finally have to switch to an iPhone. I'm sure Google will follow soon like they've followed Apple's Safari with blocking third party cookies and one year certificate validity.
That's one of the good things about owning an iphone. But I still cannot digest their pricing.

• Rep+
Reactions: DarkUltra

LTSC for life crew
The level of depth and stretches that Facebook goes to in order to track and monetize every aspect of a person's life is downright creepy. If anyone is curious there are quite literally dozens of documentaries from the last decade or so that discuss the ad tracking and advertising these giant companies do, Facebook and Google included. Suffice to say it's highly manipulative and highly invasive.

Good. If Facebook goes down and never comes back, it would be of great benefit for everyone except Mark, Facebook employees and shareholders.
This 100%.

Overclocker in training
Hi,
I just use the host file to avoid any contact.

sudo apt install sl
Discussion Starter #12
That's one of the good things about owning an iphone. But I still cannot digest their pricing.
They're priced very close to the current Android flagships and usually have a faster SoC. Apple also supports their phones much longer than Android phone manufacturers. They get 5-6 years of OS updates while Android phones get 2 or 3 years depending on the manufacturer.

Registered
The phone industry has an major issue. Saturation. I really don鈥檛 see the need for the latest phones. The current phones do everything you need without much slow done. Anything else you can use something like ipad pro, which is just better on your eyes.

Only thing is they design the phones so you want to replace it every couple years as things break down and repairing costs add ups more than buying new.

Registered
The phone industry has an major issue. Saturation. I really don鈥檛 see the need for the latest phones. The current phones do everything you need without much slow done.
Phones are similar to PCs in this regard, anything on the high end from 2017 or later you're not getting much of an upgrade by doing a "keeping up with the Jones's" churning of the high end products. I don't owe anything on my iPhone X and until the battery goes kaput, there's no phone out there that will provide a remotely cost-effective upgrade.

Registered
Phones are similar to PCs in this regard, anything on the high end from 2017 or later you're not getting much of an upgrade by doing a "keeping up with the Jones's" churning of the high end products. I don't owe anything on my iPhone X and until the battery goes kaput, there's no phone out there that will provide a remotely cost-effective upgrade.
Totally true. That or you are one of those pokemon go players. God know how many phones my parents have killed playing that game.

Politically incorrect

LOL, and iPhones store your location data in an unencrypted text file, whether you want them to track you or not. Apple are doing this so they are the only ones who are able to sell your data, making iPhone users far more valuable.

And this is why the US are waging war on Huawei and Chinese companies, they can't compete any longer so they just want to ban.

As I've said before: when you sanction everyone you sanction yourself.

Super Moderator
LOL, and iPhones store your location data in an unencrypted text file, whether you want them to track you or not. Apple are doing this so they are the only ones who are able to sell your data, making iPhone users far more valuable.

That was fixed almost 10 years ago.

Registered

Amen! Preach Brother!!

Registered

And this is why the US are waging war on Huawei and Chinese companies, they can't compete any longer so they just want to ban.

As I've said before: when you sanction everyone you sanction yourself.
That's the case for Huawei 5G, as result rest of world is lagging behind in 5G implentation. However, we are hitting same issue where with crappy economy, how many of us really can afford to pay more for 5G data. So its moot point to me.

My preference in phones is Sony (I was an Ericsson user for the longest time) but I get laughed at for using Sony phones. The main issue with Huawei phones isn't the spying to me but that they are priced at Apple pricing and they share the same flaw as Korean brands. Apple has random flaws but i wasn't quite happy how Huawei let whole batches of phones go out with that green line issue developing on the Mate 20. I lost money returning that phone to the UK to get it refunded.

I have lot of issues with the Korean brands in regards to this (in all aspects - TV's,Phone's and even home appliances and air conditioner). They always have some odd issues that never get fixed till the next year model is out. We just ran into issues where LG air conditioner leak if you set the temperature too low (samsung not much better) died after 15years of usage but all there new models are not interchangeable because they now use larger aircon ducts. Luckily there was an Japanese Model Daikin available (super reliable brand). Just couple years ago my parents had an samsung fridge with those smart screens and it only lasted 5 years till the coolant leaks started happening, ended up having to replace it with an gaganeau. Meanwhile the US brand sub-zero fridge we have is still running strong after 15years though replacement parts are expensive.

At this point, I rather buy one of the google pixel, one-plus and xiaomi because they are priced lot better and not really significant difference from the Huawei phones. The camera wars are also pointless when Google Pixel Software Encoding comes up top/challenges those higher end multi-lens camera systems and you can get good camera already in the pixel 4a.

I'm hesitant to adopt 5G because i really don't seen an need to atm. LTE is enough for my daily needs as is. That and in some places in Asia like Hong Kong, a lot of people went back to 3G plans because its really cheap. Less than 100HKD/month where as 4G are closer to 300HKD/month. The ever increasing costs of living there means that you got to cut costs somewhere else. For the people who reside couple months in both Canada and Hong Kong (maintain homes in both places), there's no point paying double 4G data plans (one in North America and one in Asia). In the US, you guys have the unlimited world wide plans, which are very desired by this group of people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts