Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone know where to get custom printed appliques similar to the OCN appliques? A one-color one like the one they use would be ok, but if at all possible, I'd like a multi-colored one (at least 2 colors) or a UV-reactive one.

Also, anyone know if there is a way to print and/or otherwise attach a photo to a steel computer case?

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
The appliques OCN has are not 'printed' they are cut from a sheet of material. (I believe ours is a metallic vinyl. Most appliques are cut from vinyl). If you want a two color logo/etc you just layer one sheet of vinyl over the other. Any screenprinting/sign making shops in your area should be able to do it. I've seen a local shop make some stickers for the fire dept that were 5-color.

The best way to stick an actual photo on would probably be to print the picture onto some sticker paper and then trim it to size and put on the case like a normal sticker.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Sign companies are now using digital printers that also cut the vinyl after printing. You can even have it laminated, then cut out.
You need to provide them with the artwork to avoid art fees.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Repo's main reference is standard cut vinyl (solid color based from rolls of vinyl which can be layered to use multiple colors) which you see everyday from trucks to store fronts. Nick's reference is to the newer style of large format printers, typically 36" on the small end to over 100" on the high side. A shop that uses a large format printing shop will have a vinyl cutter to contour cut the full color graphic from the printer or a hybrid machine that will do both.

Prices will vary on each type and on who you go to. If you wanted a simple two color design a standard layered vinyl would probably be cheaper. If you wanted something crazy with full color, photo-realistic large format printing is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMak911 View Post
Ah, thanks Pedgette. It's just a two color job. Any idea what approximate cost I should expect?
That is an impossible question to answer.

A sign company will need more information to provide an accurate quote.
-Quantity
-size
-colors (some colors cost more than others)
-artwork
-quality of the material used (you want dirt cheap vinyl or 10yr outdoor vinyl)

If you proved artwork that must be scanned, vectorized, and then a hour or two of cleanup work, you will pay a lot more.
If you can provide vectorized artwork on disk (sized correctly), then you will not have to pay art fees.

When I ran a sign shop, I charged $40 per hour for artwork. I'm experienced and fast with artwork, so most of the time I could do anything in one hour.

I charged approx $10 per foot off a 24" roll of standard vinyl. Did not include specialty colors.

I learned the hard way, never quote a job without seeing the artwork first! lol

We can guess here on OCN about prices and not be the least bit close. Every sign company will give you a different price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts