Overclock.net banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
This is the **** that makes me think they limit WU's based on IP address. see below!
Unrelated to FaH I regularly work with a .NET windows service that returns that exact error when the service isn't licensed or is down. I will do some research tomorrow on exactly when it is used, but I think that is a standard message that is not always just a refused connection.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
@Avacado I did some more digging into that message and I find references to it across a number of projects using both .NET, C and C++. However, I am going to focus on the .NET side as that is where I am most familiar. In .NET the error originates out of System.Net.Sockets.SocketException so this seems to be a standard error message coming out of the Socket or TCP client connection. Specifically it looks like it occurs when the server returns a reset (RST) instead of an ack when you are initiating a connection (reference: TCP Handshake). So RST causes immediate connection termination without any confirmation from the client. When this happens during the handshake (establishing the connection) it means the server (OS & Network Stack) is up, but it does not want the connection. Some reasons that a server actively refuses a connection and sends a RST are

• Firewall blocking the port
  • No service listening on requested port
  • There are probably others, so don't treat this list as exhaustive

Based on @tictoc's link and this being intermittent I we are looking at the case that the machine is up or up enough to respond at the network layer, but the FaH service is down / not listening on the requested port. For HTTP requests (typical for port 80 and 8080) if they were throttling requests from your IP it would be more typical / inline with the RFC 6585 to return a 429 Too Many Request from the HTTP Request vs resetting the connection.

• Rep+
Reactions: Avacado

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
@Avacado I did some more digging into that message and I find references to it across a number of projects using both .NET, C and C++. However, I am going to focus on the .NET side as that is where I am most familiar. In .NET the error originates out of System.Net.Sockets.SocketException so this seems to be a standard error message coming out of the Socket or TCP client connection. Specifically it looks like it occurs when the server returns a reset (RST) instead of an ack when you are initiating a connection (reference: TCP Handshake). So RST causes immediate connection termination without any confirmation from the client. When this happens during the handshake (establishing the connection) it means the server (OS & Network Stack) is up, but it does not want the connection. Some reasons that a server actively refuses a connection and sends a RST are

• Firewall blocking the port
  • No service listening on requested port
  • There are probably others, so don't treat this list as exhaustive

Based on @tictoc's link and this being intermittent I we are looking at the case that the machine is up or up enough to respond at the network layer, but the FaH service is down / not listening on the requested port. For HTTP requests (typical for port 80 and 8080) if they were throttling requests from your IP it would be more typical / inline with the RFC 6585 to return a 429 Too Many Request from the HTTP Request vs resetting the connection.
Solid work, thank you for that dig. +Rep

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Starting to dial in some OC's and get things ready for 24 hour use. 1x 2080Ti @+220 core (My golden GPU) and the second one only gets +150 core, bad luck or perhaps because it is running the display. 9900k @ 5.0GHz No AVX offset @1.3v. For whatever reason, the client is beating the **** out of my CPU1, stays at 100% utilization while folding. Pretty satisfied with the temps, not going above 70c. Collection server: 128.252.203.9. Has been down for 48 hours now. Sucks seeing 300k dwindle down to nothing, but thems the brakes. Looking forward to this months tourney!

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Starting to dial in some OC's and get things ready for 24 hour use. 1x 2080Ti @+220 core (My golden GPU) and the second one only gets +150 core, bad luck or perhaps because it is running the display. 9900k @ 5.0GHz No AVX offset @1.3v. For whatever reason, the client is beating the **** out of my CPU1, stays at 100% utilization while folding. Pretty satisfied with the temps, not going above 70c. Collection server: 128.252.203.9. Has been down for 48 hours now. Sucks seeing 300k dwindle down to nothing, but thems the brakes. Looking forward to this months tourney!
If I had another 2080 Ti I think I could compete, but my older cards (2x Titan X and a 980) combined only come out to the low end of a 2080 Ti PPD wise if they all have good WUs. Just have to see what the future brings I guess. :sneaky:

·
OC...D
27,801 Posts

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Hey guys, OCN's Boinc Team could use a little help with Rosetta. Put some cores on those big-boy-pants CPUs to work for a good cause. Most Rosetta work is SARS-CoV-2 (covid-19) based... so double good!
https://www.overclock.net/forum/365...1th-boinc-pentathlon-may-5th-19th-2020-a.html
https://www.overclock.net/forum/365...thon-rosetta-home-project-support-thread.html
I tried. I don't have the patience to dial in an appropriate OC on my cores to handle that right now. Thermal throttled to BSOD when I gave it a go.

·
OC...D
27,801 Posts
I tried. I don't have the patience to dial in an appropriate OC on my cores to handle that right now. Thermal throttled to BSOD when I gave it a go.
yeah, it will expose a "conditional" overclock for sure. I keep a profile saved for compute loads. 4.5 instead of gaming 4.9. ;)

281 - 288 of 288 Posts