Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be better for gaming performance to get lets say an AMD phenom II x4 965 black @ 3.4 with a Radeon HD 6870, ORRR get the new AMD APU A8 with the Raeon HD 6870 and run them together, because i know in the APU A8 the CPU is not that powerful, comparable to Anthlon x4?

·
Registered
351 Posts
From what I've seen, you really don't want to run the APU and an discrete graphics card. You'd be better off getting the Phenom II.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bulldozer is definitely not an APU. What're you going to be using it for? if you're gaming, then grab a sandy bridge processor and don't wait for bulldozer. Their main draw is their extra cores which are great for applications that support multithreading, which games don't support.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Actually, you can pair the APUs with certain 6000 series cards (from what I've seen).

For example, the A8-3850 with a 6670 and as a result, you apparently get a 75% boost in performance.

Don't take my exact word for it, but that's what I read somewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Essentially right now the Sandy Bridge (i7-2600K and i5-2500K) processors are the top of the line for gaming, with the best game for your buck. If you want gaming, go i5-2500K. If you want video editing and other hyperthreaded programs, go with the i7-2600K.

It's a general consensus that right now, Intel is beating AMD.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slakjak
View Post

I am going to be using it mainly for gaming, i heard that AMD processors are made more for gaming when coupled with the Radeon series graphics cards, and intel is made mainly just for processing such as movies encoding decoding ect..

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjak;14131147
I am going to be using it mainly for gaming, i heard that AMD processors are made more for gaming when coupled with the Radeon series graphics cards, and intel is made mainly just for processing such as movies encoding decoding ect..
You've got to be kidding me? Dude, Ever since Socket 775 Came out, AMD Has been lacking power in their processors for gaming - YES, I love both companies dearly, But Either way, Pick up some i5 and a GOOD LGA 1155 Motherboard w/ 6GB's RAM, and Maybe SLI GTX 460's ( I, don't even see why the frick why people these days mix intel/ATI)

Here's how it goes:
Intel + Nvidia = Exotic car (or PC I should say)
AMD + ATI = Muscle car

Mix either one, you have a nice, nice, nice 67' Elanor GT500 (The Gun metal Gray with the Double Fat Black Stripes)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
the APU can crossfire with a 6350 to 6670 series card but thats as high it can go in terms of using the APU's crossfire capability.

plus to the numbers are alright for most light gaming not DX11 gaming for DX11 you'll need a Phenom II to do that with a 6870(which is what you said you wanna use).

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia-Brownies;14131200
You've got to be kidding me? Dude, Ever since Socket 775 Came out, AMD Has been lacking power in their processors for gaming - YES, I love both companies dearly, But Either way, Pick up some i5 and a GOOD LGA 1155 Motherboard w/ 6GB's RAM, and Maybe SLI GTX 460's ( I, don't even see why the frick why people these days mix intel/ATI)

Here's how it goes:
AMD + ATI = Muscle car

Mix either one, you have a nice, nice, nice 67' Elanor GT500 (The Gun metal Gray with the Double Fat Black Stripes)
i rather have a muscle car more then a exotic atleast muscle cars actually can take a dent and keep on going compared to exotics which takes a dent and it's game over so much for aerodynamics.....
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
redface.gif

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvidia-Brownies
View Post

Here's how it goes:
AMD + ATI = Muscle car

Dual channel with 6GB ram?

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkoXan
View Post

i rather have a muscle car more then a exotic atleast muscle cars actually can take a dent and keep on going compared to exotics which takes a dent and it's game over so much for aerodynamics.....

LOL. Well, either way, I still say lean toward a Nvidia Card, because some will dominate over ATI Cards at the same price.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LOL. Well, either way, I still say lean toward a Nvidia Card, because some will dominate over ATI Cards at the same price.

well i got a phenom II with a 460 SSC sitting up in there boxes on my desk waitin.. XD

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Here's how it goes:
AMD + ATI = Muscle car

You've got to be kidding me? Dude, socket 1155 is made for dual channel RAM, and you're putting triple channel 6GB RAM in it??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Here's how it goes:
AMD + ATI = Muscle car

Intel + ATI = Nissan GTR, epic without the price tag

OP, go for a sandy bridge build with a 2500k and a decent mobo, you'll have more than enough juice for gaming and the chips overclock like nuts.
As for a GPU, you can't go wrong with a 6870. Amazing bang for buck. If you can fork out a bit of extra cash then get a 1GB 6950.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I like how we are in the AMD forums and there are tons of i5 recommendations here
Perhaps an i5 isn't in the OP's, budget, I know it isn't in mine, so I won't be getting it. I was interested in this my self, APU and a GPU vs. CPU and GPU. Looks like standard CPU and GPU wins then, right? Llano processor's just aren't for gaming? Phenom II or Athlon II CPU's would win?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rivaldog
View Post

I like how we are in the AMD forums and there are tons of i5 recommendations here
Perhaps an i5 isn't in the OP's, budget, I know it isn't in mine, so I won't be getting it. I was interested in this my self, APU and a GPU vs. CPU and GPU. Looks like standard CPU and GPU wins then, right? Llano processor's just aren't for gaming? Phenom II or Athlon II CPU's would win?

The Llano A8-3850 is equivalent to Athlon II X4 645,with a HD6550 GPU,it would be ok for gaming if you don't play at the highest resolution.
A standard CPU and GPU would be better for gaming,a Phenom II X4 955 would be better,along with a GTX460, GTX560Ti or AMD Radeon HD6870 if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
How well does the 6870 perform? Does Anandtech have some benchies to look at? I need to get an idea of it's power... I'm on an extreme budget and need the most powerful GPU I'll be able to get... Sorry for threadjacking for a post or two

1 - 20 of 27 Posts