Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some plans about building a really compact computer. I want to get some mini-itx board and have something like a 5800K with the HD 7660D. I know AMD doesn't really have the greatest driver support, but I am curious if the same goes for APUs as well. I want to have full hardware acceleration so I would be able to play games without any problems as if I was using windows (ex: css, csgo, tf2) I know that particular APU can easily play those games at a reasonable resolution with decent fps. But I am just worried that it will not work out so great because of the poor driver support from AMD. I know there is intel with the HD 4000 which would play those games as well.... but i'd like to have something better and save some money. It would be great if I can get some response from someone who has tried this before. Would really appreciate if someone can help me out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, this is a little tricky because the APU will rock those games wonderfully, but if you ever upgrade to a real GPU than the whole thing isnt worth it. The APU is great if you use it as an APU, but once you start throwing a real graphics card at it it becomes completely useless!

I started off with my media computer with an A10 and it ran all of your list games beautifully at 1080! The HD 4000 is not quite as good, unless youre a fan of 720.

Again, think about your future plans for the build, if you ever add a graphics card, your APU purchase was not worth it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Num_Lock View Post

So, this is a little tricky because the APU will rock those games wonderfully, but if you ever upgrade to a real GPU than the whole thing isnt worth it. The APU is great if you use it as an APU, but once you start throwing a real graphics card at it it becomes completely useless!

I started off with my media computer with an A10 and it ran all of your list games beautifully at 1080! The HD 4000 is not quite as good, unless youre a fan of 720.

Again, think about your future plans for the build, if you ever add a graphics card, your APU purchase was not worth it.
I do not really plan on adding a dedicated GPU because it would ruin purpose of having a really compact computer... the only upgrade I can think about doing is probably upgrading to a newer model APU just incase I want to be able to play more demanding games.

But anyways, you did not have any issues with installing the drivers in linux and having full hardware acceleration?

·
Registered
578 Posts
^^He's making the assumption that you won't be buying a 6670 for crossfire.

I have an A10 5800k myself and it's an excellent little chip, I'm able to play at max setting at 1440*900 on source games.

Another point is that in the last year or so, AMD has really stepped up it's game in terms of drivers, I wouldn't consider this to be an issue anymore.

As I alluded too, if you ever decide to upgrade your graphics you could simply purchase the 6670 and get substantial gains in performance.

If given a choice between the A10 and an i3 with HD4000+, it makes more sense (from a games perspective) to buy the A10.

Edit: Actually HSA is only partially supported with the current APUs. We'll see full HSA support in Q4 2013.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a A8 and im really happy, games like dota 2, l4d2, and much more runs great with almost max-max settings
smile.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh Haha, I saw this on the front page and didn't realize you were running it with Linux (I only tested Windows), but it ran great in windows with the above games and such. And, AMD said they were going to keep the FM2 socket for at least another couple year for upgradeability which is good.

I have heard that catalyst will work with it in Linux, so that should be a good start but no personal experience...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts