Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Aquacomputer High Flow Meter (53068) and Aquaero 5 XT. I connected my Aquacomputer High Flow Meter to my Aquaero 5 LT with the provided 3 pin cable; I connected it to the "Flow" plug of my LT. I am not getting a reading on my LT.

I've updated my Aqausuite software to 2015-3 and in addition connected an Aquacomputer Temperature sensor internal/external thread G1/4 (53067) which is working (although I'm not convinced it's calibrated correctly).

Would the Aquasuite have a reading if the flow was below 40L/h? (I can set the pump at full speed but obviously I don't know the flow at idle or full speed).

I have the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter connected into the Aquaero 5 XT 'Flow' 3pin connector currently, but have tried it in the Aquabus 'Low' and 'High' connections with out success.

I don't know what else I need to do to make it read.

Help appreciated,

Max

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
It only connects to the flow port, never connect it to the Aquabus ports. What pump are you using and where in Aquasuite are you looking? Are you looking at the Sensors / flow sensors tab?

Just check the connections on the cable because if the pump is running at all you should have a reading.
Screenshots are really useful for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply,

I have a dual pump set-up Zalman Reserator1 and EK-DDC 3.2 PWM.

Aquasuite screen shot attached

Connections checked OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I've checked the connections (they are tight and in place) I've noticed the sequence of cores (colours) is not the same at each end of the cable?

Left to right: (orientation with text on label)

Flow meter end of cable = Yellow - Green - Red

Aquacomputer Lt = Red - Yellow - Green

Is the cable supposed to be straight through?

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Max2xs View Post

Although I've checked the connections (they are tight and in place) I've noticed the sequence of cores (colours) is not the same at each end of the cable?

Left to right: (orientation with text on label)

Flow meter end of cable = Yellow - Green - Red

Aquacomputer Lt = Red - Yellow - Green

Is the cable supposed to be straight through?
Yeah that is how it is meant to be. Don't know with this one sorry. Everything looks like it should be working. They are normally the most bullet proof and easiest to use of their meters.

You could test the sensor by making an adaptor cable and plugging it into a fan header, or open it up and see if it is turning but other than that I got nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the next question, now I've connected the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter (53068) direct to the M/B, how do I interrogate/check if it's working.

I would like to use the Aqausuite software (2015-3 firmware) but I don't know how to link the software to open Hardware Monitor or the ROG M/B.

Is there a way to connect the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter (53068) to a Temp sensor connection (as I know that's OK)?

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:

The cable will plug straight into the M/B, I'll give it a go before a strip down
thumb.gif
No no, don't do that. The sensor runs on 5 volts. It could be damaged by motherboard power.

This is the sort of thing I was referring to.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/21/aquacomputer-water-high-flow-sensor-meter/3/

Then, with the speed signal connected to a fan header you would just blow through the sensor to make it spin and an RPM count should show in the PC monitoring software.
You can't use aquasuite to interrogate a motherboard fan header, and temp sensors work completely differently.

If the flow sensor was accidentally first connected to a port on the aquaero other than the flow port it could have been damaged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops Ok disconnected.....
biggrin.gif

I'll see if I can rig up a cable as per the picture, but it will have to wait until weekend for a trial when I drain the water (for another mod on the Reserator I had intended to do).

I'll use the pin outs from the post you mentioned.

The problem now is I'm going to have to test both the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter and the Aquaero 5 XT as I'm not sure if both might be damaged (no smoke or anything else electrically unhappy so far
thumb.gif
)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I've stripped the flow meter out of water circuit and blown through the ports, all seems fine.

Also I took the cover plate off but cannot see anything much underneath! I was hoping to see a PCB?

Any thoughts guys, I don't want to put it back in circuit without some confidence it will work ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, system fully drained and removed the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter.

Stripped the Flow Meter and made sure the vanes/impeller were free to rotate, (sorry no pictures) but it looks like the probe that reads the magnets on the vanes/impeller has corroded.

Obviously the bad news is that after reassembly and re-fill it didn't come to life
mad.gif

Any thoughts or do I have to buy a new one to check further?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys, just a short update..

I've bit the bullet and ordered a replacement flow meter, I thought I'd move forward with a Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4.

This will give me better functionality with the introduction of a temperature sensor within the unit allowing me to remove the current (Temperature sensor internal/external thread G1/4 for aquaero, aquastream XT and aquaduct stand alone unit).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:

Ok guys, just a short update..

I've bit the bullet and ordered a replacement flow meter, I thought I'd move forward with a Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4.

This will give me better factuality with the introduction of a temperature sensor within the unit allowing me to remove the current (Temperature sensor internal/external thread G1/4 for aquaero, aquastream XT and aquaduct stand alone unit).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.
The High flow USB meter does not have an internal sensor (the ones that do its not accurate anyway) just an external sensor input, the same as the Aquaero.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, discussed the pin outs on post 5. (Thanks all the same Costas
smile.gif
)

The new "high flow USB" G1/4 is installed and recognised by the Aquasuite, just to connect up the Aquaero 5 LT and configure with front and rear case fans, water pump, water and MB temp sensors.

Stats:
Ambient = 20.0c
Water = 21.9c
System = 29.0c
CPU = 19.0 - 26.0c (idle)
GPU = 13.0c (seems very low ?)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Once I was extending the cable on one of my high flow sensors and somehow managed to cross two of the wires and blew the internal digmesa sensor.
The internal digmesa sensor can be ordered from Aquacomputer...which is how I fixed mine. Pretty easy fix, but I don't recall the actual cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the 'heads up' Mandrix, I'll have a look on-line with regard to purchasing the internal digmesa sensor.

I was going to have to purchase a 4 pin Aquabus cable as I've run out of internal USB ports, I would appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers as to the different options to configure (wiring connections) as the manual is poor
rolleyes.gif

Cheers Max

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update; All installed and working fine, ultimately I believe it was the internal digmesa sensor that had corroded to such an extent that it could not read the pulse as the vane passed.

Thanks fro the help and advice.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:

ultimately I believe it was the internal digmesa sensor that had corroded
Interesting that you state that it corroded. Have you pulled it apart to verify this? The sensor itself is fully sealed and can not normally come into contact with any fluids. Only the 2 magnets and impmeller mechanism are submerged in the coolant.

It could be that the sensor itself has simply gone internally faulty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Costas,

Yep, I stripped the unit and although I cannot verify the sensor itself has not simply gone faulty, (I realise these are electronic components and as such do not have an infinite life), when I inspected the unit the probe mounted within the body which senses the magnet within the vane was just a corroded/eroded stub.

I use distilled water with EK-Ekoolant UV Blue within the system, and I cannot comment on the use of dissimilar metals within the system (I would need more time than I have to work out the effects).

Don't take this as a defamation of the product, I would still recommend Aquacomputer products including the Aquacomputer High Flow Meter (53068).
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts