Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a splitty9 about six months ago ... and finally got around to installing it in my water cooled Caselabs Mercury S5's pedestal. I have the 7 fans (6 on s 360 radiators, 1 exhaust) in the pedestal connected to the splitty and the splitty attached to the aquaero. I put the splitty pretty far forward so that I can reach that pesky blue knob.

I then turned up the controller output percentage to 40% and then slowly turned the blue knob until the fans started ... then I backed it off a little.

Then I tested when the fans came on ... and when they stopped.

At 35% - off. I was able to dial up the output percentage ... 1% at a time. The fans didn't come on until I hit 43%. Dialing down 1% at a time, they stopped when I hit 40%.

Nice! With this set up, I won't have the fans starting / stopping / starting / etc in a death to a silent computer experience.

Now I just need to determine how high I want my water / air delta, put 43% controller output there and enjoy no fan noise until I push my PC.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Or... buy 1K RPM fans, skip Aquaeros and tables and curve plottings, plug all your slow fans to a 5bucks splitter that is powered straight from your PSU, no mobo/controller connections.
PC always quiet because fans are slow and steady, even at startup (and Aquaero, for all its money, is just as bad as a mobo header in this, full blast when turning the PC on), max OC and everything, significantly cheaper and above all, zero hassle or time wasted. And did i say dead quiet.

But, to each their own i guess :)

I do thank you for the short review however, will admit i wasn't so certain about how the knob functions when plugged into an AQ (read: what it does to achieve said effect), so your empirical observations helped.

All i can say is that with room for two 360s or more, it's at best, kindest way to put it, foolish to have an Aquaero. Goes for me too mind, was dumb enough to buy me one. Been eating dust ever since.
One can have a dead quiet PC a lot cheaper, a lot faster. And always dead quiet. They don't tell you what an AQ sounds like when you turn your PC on, do they..

*someday i might just manage to grasp how you folks think, ie how you end up doing the purchases you are. Someday.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Aquaero, for all its money, is just as bad as a mobo header in this, full blast when turning the PC on

My fans don't turn on full blast when turned on. They stay at the rpm level I have set.

• Rep+
Reactions: Mxj1

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,173 Posts
I guess the problem is that he turns off the PC completely via a multiple socket outlet or the BIOS is configured in a way to cut power from USB when the PC is shut down. Normally the USB port will be still powered which keeps the aquaero in a standby mode so it does not have to perform a full restart when the PC is switched on again. This way it can just continue to work with the desired settings.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh - comments. And one from Shoggy too. Thanks

I did search for a splitty9 active review before I posted and didn't find one. That could be a reflection on my search ability.

I had Cryorig balanced fans (max 1600 rpm) and I swapped them all out to quite (max 1000 rpm) - yeah yeah ... more wasted $s ... but a) it is a learning experience and b) it is fun and entertaining.

I actually have a midget GPU (air) and an air cooler on my CPU at the moment ... changing up the flow a little ... so the liquid cooling is doing nothing. Two pumps, two 360 radiators and a reservoir ... excellent flow when I turn both pumps on. I also installed two hard wired switches so I can individually shut off power to both pumps. The are not running now - just sitting there.

I really only notice temps in the high 50s, low 60s when I am MKVing or handbraking a movie. When my system was underwater, those temps barely got into the 40s.

One aspect with the Splitty9 Active ... I was playing with the curve and 'broke' it ... it was putting out 0% no matter what my input or curve said. And 0% means the Splitty9 Active doesn't cut the power so the fans are getting power and seeing 0% PWM ... so max RPMs it is! That was slightly annoying. Fixed it by changing to hard coded controller that output 1%.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have some questions. I have a splitty9 and tried to run 12 arctic fans(p12 pwm pst) off of it, 2 fans per header and when connected to my aquaero 6; my aquaero6 wont turn on. Am I overloading it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts