Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was able to run aquamark3 before great until i had to reinstall windows xp pro with a clean install.

however, when i try to run it now with just the ati catalyst 4.11 drivers, i get a "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down blah blah* blue screen. it's a radeon 9600xt 256mb card.

i used to have it on the 4.12 betas and it worked perfectly before. i'm suspecting either an ati driver problem or directx 9c? maybe the order in which the drivers are being installed?

i've applied the hotfix on the aquamark website to no avail either.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Are you getting an actual BSOD? I thought that Microsoft did away with that, I have not recieved one since Windows 98. Anyway, try uninstalling Aquamark and reinstalling it. I haven't had a problem with it at all. Also, try 3Dmark'03 and see if it works. That will isolate whether it is limited to the App, or a bad driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, hard to believe but it's a good ol' BSOD even in this day and age. i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling aquamark3 so far but hasnt' worked. same error. i will try 3dmark03 though and let you know how it goes. weird because it used to work perfectly before until i reinstalled it.

thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
For a point I would like to make. I do belive SP2 has been corrupting ram left and right, ever since it came out, all my ram and all my friends ram have ended up corrupted and crappy. I do not understand what is going on except this. I think they mod your ram on there os to run at certain settings. And crash your computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh maybe you're right. i should try a clean install and just try the catalyst drivers before applying any microsoft xp patches at all.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the test! the xp patches/service pack theory sounds like a good possiblity ... now the hard part is trying to figure out which patch is screwing it up! gotta love windows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dualshock

thanks for the test! the xp patches/service pack theory sounds like a good possiblity ... now the hard part is trying to figure out which patch is screwing it up! gotta love windows

I have all of the SP2 patches installed and haven't had a problem. Did you try 3Dmark'03?? Just curious, I still think it could be windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh unfortunatley i'm at work right now so i'll try it 3dmark later and let you know. it's been driving me nuts over the last couple of days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found this little tidbit when i was googling for my stop error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330187

the message wasn't exactly the same but the error code is.

the thing is i never changed my hardware acceleration setting but i'm kind of at a loss and will try anything. i also never actually installed sp2. just individual patches. i'll give it a shot later and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dualshock

i found this little tidbit when i was googling for my stop error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330187

the message wasn't exactly the same but the error code is.

the thing is i never changed my hardware acceleration setting but i'm kind of at a loss and will try anything. i also never actually installed sp2. just individual patches. i'll give it a shot later and see what happens.

See, I installed it all at once. Express install is the only one that would work. Maybe that has something to do with it.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok computer is running smooth now. apparently if you do a clean xp install and you try to run aquamark3, you need to install the xp service packs or it won't work. you'll get blue screens. weird but typical of microsoft to be the reason my computer wasn't working
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dualshock

ok computer is running smooth now. apparently if you do a clean xp install and you try to run aquamark3, you need to install the xp service packs or it won't work. you'll get blue screens. weird but typical of microsoft to be the reason my computer wasn't working

Cool, I wonder if it has to do with the .Net Framework. I have read some programs require it. Glad that you are up and running.

QQ- Were you able to install service pak 2 via the custom update, or did you have to do the express install? Only reason I ask is because I had to do it via the Express install. When I tried to do it through the custom install, I would get an installation failed message.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

Cool, I wonder if it has to do with the .Net Framework. I have read some programs require it. Glad that you are up and running.

QQ- Were you able to install service pak 2 via the custom update, or did you have to do the express install? Only reason I ask is because I had to do it via the Express install. When I tried to do it through the custom install, I would get an installation failed message.

thanks. i was thinking that too about the .Net Framework.

i just did the express install. normally i always choose the custom update for most installs but this time around i figured i didn't want to muck around and forget to install something i needed. thanks for the help.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top