Overclock.net banner

Arctic Accelero Mono Plus on 670 -Reference-

15K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  ElevenEleven 
#1 ·
Isn't that cute
tongue.gif

full.jpg

Easy installation, dead silent, no massive weight on your tiny 670 board!

OC: 1250 core, 120% power limit.
Ambient temp: 24c
Idle temp: 31c
Stress temp: 58c

I did not use the heatsinks that come with the cooler, as they need to be glued on.
Instead I used some heatsinks I still had from my Scythe Setsugen 2.
No need to replace the reference VRM heatsink!

Ref temps: ~40c idle, 70c stressed. But used a pretty aggressive fan profile to keep it below 70. (without it, easily reached 80c)

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post

Well if you have heard a ref-design 670, you'll know they can get pretty loud
tongue.gif

This cooler does not go above the rest of my system, which is already pretty silent with most fans running at ~1000 RPM.
The 670 is not loud at all. It is most likely the quietest reference design card in that performance segment.
But I can imagine the Accelero to be dead silent. You even have some headroom regarding the temps, lowering the fan speed would literally make it inaudible, pretty nice.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by toX0rz View Post

The 670 is not loud at all. It is most likely the quietest reference design card in that performance segment.
But I can imagine the Accelero to be dead silent. You even have some headroom regarding the temps, lowering the fan speed would literally make it inaudible, pretty nice.
Do you own a 670? If not, you should'nt be saying the 670 ref design isn't loud.
It's pretty silent at idle, true... but even then it has that annoying grinding sound all 670 ref's have.
Anything above a 1300 RPM 120mm fan is extremely annoying to me.

#6 ·
Quote:

Do you own a 670? If not, you should'nt be saying the 670 ref design isn't loud.
It's pretty silent at idle, true... but even then it has that annoying grinding sound all 670 ref's have.
Anything above a 1300 RPM 120mm fan is extremely annoying to me.
Gonna have to agree with you, the 670 is not a quiet card. At idle it's fine but when it gets over 50% fan that's when it's pretty loud. Honestly though, I don't think there's one reference card that's actually quiet.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by roorooroo View Post

Hi Deluxe..would there be a need to remove the reference VRM heatink if using the included Arctic heatsinks?
Thanks...was going to go for the twin turbo 2 but this looks a better solution regarding weight on the card.
No, there is no need to remove the VRM heatsink.
It's a lot better than those tiny ones that come with the cooler
smile.gif

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post

wow, my asus top pulls those numbers, and i spent less.
Good for you, but nobody cares.
This topic is for reference design users that want a silent cooler.
I bet no default cooler is as silent as this while maintaining temps below 60c.

Also, i'm not entirely convinced you're telling the truth.
imageview.php?image=39378

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/9

Here's my temps in furmark:
full.jpg

I suggest you run it with the same settings with a closed case for 5+ minutes and post a screenshot
smile.gif

I was also running Prime95 at the same time to get the maximum stress on my PSU and heat into my case.

#11 ·
Quote:

Good for you, but nobody cares.
This topic is for reference design users that want a silent cooler.
I bet no default cooler is as silent as this while maintaining temps below 60c.
Also, i'm not entirely convinced you're telling the truth.
imageview.php?image=39378

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/9
yes no reference is but the top is not reference and that review is bad, highest temps on both of mine have been 68c

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post

yes no reference is but the top is not reference and that review is bad, highest temps on both of mine have been 68c
If you say you're pulling 68c, then you're not pulling the same temps are you?
As i'm way below 60 even in furmark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roorooroo View Post

Thanks Deluxe..just the info i wanted. Might go for one of these then.
Any tips on installation or is it as easy as it seems?
My tips would be:

- Don't use the white stand-offs, I fear they might be too high and cause bad connection with the core.
Just use common sense and don't screw it on too tight
smile.gif

- Don't install memory heatsinks before you checked how the cooler will fit on.
I've used a couple of smaller heatsinks on chips that would be blocked by the cooler.
I can guarantee you, you won't actually need any heatsinks on the memory at all though
tongue.gif

Be careful the memory sinks don't make contact with the transistors close to the mem-chips!

And yes, it is as easy as it seems. Just remove old cooler, screw this baby on and done!
Also no need to replace the default paste, you can see my temp's are just fine
smile.gif

#16 ·
I'm glad that the cooler meets your expectations, Deluxe. I had a reference GTX 670 for a short while - It was louder than my tolerance level, ran hot, and had the turbine motor issue seen in many EVGA 670 models. I swapped it out for a GTX 670 FTW, which was better but still too loud for a PC that sits on top of my desk. I have been using the Twin Turbo II for quite a while and it exceeds expectations. Arctic Cooling makes effective coolers - they aren't too hard to find on sale, either
wink.gif

The only complaint I have is minor coil whine from the card... but that's no fault of the cooler
smile.gif

#18 ·
Awesome thanks for the info Deluxe! Gonna have to grab 1 of these coolers to replace the stock on my MSI 670. Started over clocking yesterday and realised how terrible the stock cooler is with noise and heat. Was checking out the Twin Turbo II at first but just seems way to big for the reference 670 and puts to much weight on it, this looks like a much better solution for the short reference card.

#19 ·
Question. Do you think this cooler will fit in my case? Here's a picture of the current set up. It's a micro-ATX build so there's very limited space:

Doesn't look like it will clear at all...

Keep in mind that the board is mounted upside down, so the cooler will actually be installed on the top (that is, the side closer to the soundcard).

#21 ·
Quote:

I'd say probably not.
It might be too wide for your side panel to still fit on.
The cooler makes the card about 5 CM wider than it currently is.
Thanks. Any other aftermarket coolers that will fit flushed with the PCB? I also don't want something like the Accelero Extreme III, which is really too wide for the card, with two of its fan just sitting out to the right of the PCB.

#22 ·
Arctic Accelero product it the best solution for keeping the card cool as well as being silent.
I have one on my GTX 580 and idle temps dropped by 10c as well as load temps. With the Msi Twin Frozr II (which is one of the best stock heatsinks on the market imo) my Idle temps were in the low 40c mark and with the Arctic it's now low 30c. Load temps with the Twin Frozr II I was running in the low 60c and with the Arctic I run in the mid 50c.
Great heatsinks and well worth the money!

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

Arctic Accelero product it the best solution for keeping the card cool as well as being silent.
I have one on my GTX 580 and idle temps dropped by 10c as well as load temps. With the Msi Twin Frozr II (which is one of the best stock heatsinks on the market imo) my Idle temps were in the low 40c mark and with the Arctic it's now low 30c. Load temps with the Twin Frozr II I was running in the low 60c and with the Arctic I run in the mid 50c.
Great heatsinks and well worth the money!
I'm not saying it's a waste of money. I know it's a great product. I just rather have something flushed with the GTX 670. The Accelero Extreme III has three fans, one of which fits great on the PCB, but the other two are just hanging off on the end.

#24 ·
Hey Deluxe,

Thinking about getting a Mono Plus for my 670 (tried DWood's mod, but I'm concerned about the VRM temperatures), just wondering if you could check exactly how much the heatsink extends from the side of the card? I've got a P183, which doesn't have quite as much clearance to the side as your case.

Ta in advance
biggrin.gif

#26 ·
Old topic, but since it was resurrected and exactly relevant when i was looking to post myself, I'll reply here!

I'm interested in getting one of these (or the Twin Turbo II) for my reference GTX 660 Ti, but VRM temperatures are a concern. Here's a sample review for Accelero and Gelid Icy Vision heatsinks on some AMD cards:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/gelid-icy-vision_5.html#sect0

Those VRM temperatures are a concern, for me at least. I was thinking about getting other heatsinks for VRMs, like something made of copper perhaps--would that help? Something like these:

---
And another question: would it be better to get the Mono + instead of Twin Turbo, such that I could keep the large aluminum heatsink pre-installed (on the VRMs?) on toward the PCI-E bracket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.