Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Thing points the wrong way on my AM2+/AM3 Gigabyte. Blows toward the bottom of the PSU above it.

2. The copper CPU base doesn't cover the CPU entirely but leaves the edges bare. (AMD AthlonX2).

3. My temps go up over 10 degrees vs. stock and peak out at 65+ under load.

I yanked it and put the stock cooler back on and it's loud but cooler.

I don't get it these things are so popular and nobody has said anything about this problem on AMD chips? What am I missing? Anything I should try before I chunk it?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I used to have one of these and their is a trick to this.

The fan has to be horizontal (not vertical) and it has to be on the right side (where your memory is). The fan "pushes" air through it then to the back of your case where the exhaust fan is.

The fact that it doesn't cover the cpu entirely shouldn't be a problem, as long as it is only a sliver on the edges.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

I used to have one of these and their is a trick to this.

The fan has to be horizontal (not vertical) and it has to be on the right side (where your memory is). The fan "pushes" air through it then to the back of your case where the exhaust fan is.

The fact that it doesn't cover the cpu entirely shouldn't be a problem, as long as it is only a sliver on the edges.

I'm not sure he can mount it that way. It's AMD, not Intel.

Not sure why your temps are worse then stock cooling though, it shouldn't be that bad.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
I've read issues on OCN about that cooler with AMD chips, so I don't think you're the only one experiencing them.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,554 Posts
the arctic freezer (64 = designed for amd cpus) was mainly addressed to dual core mid range cooling not anything super performance wise for overclocking.

the highest i got an amd 7750 BE on that cooler is 3.2 ghz x2 and the temps stood below 53 °C on full load.

i suggest you grab a different cooler that will suit your needs better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen a lot of people complaining about this cooler. For me, it is perfect. I am using Rev.2 (7 pro, just like you) and it points towards the top or bottom of my case. I have it pointing towards the top because I have a top exhaust fan which works perfectly. Since your fan is blowing towards your PSU, and the PSU is just blowing hot air back into your air stream, your ambient temps in your case are probably very high. Try taking the side of your case off and see if that helps. Also, the Athlon x2 chips are known to run very hot. My little brother's 5200+ gets in the mid 40s with the same cooler (stock clocks/volts, also with optimum airflow, pointing towards a top exhausting fan again), while my chip (Phenom II x2 550) gets in the high 30s on a 3.8 ghz overclock with 1.55 volts. Once again, the only reason I can think of why the 7 Pro runs hotter than your stock cooler is because the stock cooler blows down onto the heatsink, where the 7 Pro blows the hot air back into your case, making your case temperature very hot. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
PSU fans exhaust air out of the back of the unit. They DO NOT push air into the case.

On topic:
Not sure why your having problems. I've used this same cooler now in 2 builds for my friends, both of them being an i5 setup though. I was able to mount the cooler with the fan blowing towards the back. It must be a AMD board thing to have the cooler mounted like that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of the heatsink? Of it on the board? It's not on now but if there's something I could try I'll put it back on and post some pics.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sorry bout the crappy iPhone pix. I think you can see how the copper doesn't cover the CPU in the last pic.

Whatever the reason (which I think comes down to them half assing a AM3 compatibility claim) the thing is 10 degrees worse than stock. Stock does a great job but sound like a hair dryer when I'm gaming. The stock fan is a 6000 RPM fan. I suspect the fan is just not up to the task but they sold it as if it was anyway.

I dunno whats the realistic maximum load temp of a 965BE low watt version?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I honestly don't think this a good cooler for AMD unless you have a top exhaust fan. It works well in my case because i have a 200mm exhaust directly above this heatsink, but it still isn't totally efficient because it doesn't cover the entire am3 chip. I am considering lapping it, because my load temps are approaching 58 degrees when I bump it up to 1.5 V.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
No, we can't see much on those pics.
The reason that cooler doesn't cover that old Athlon CPU is because those old 90nm CPUs are huge. This cooler is made for the newer 45 and 65nm CPUs, much smaller and cooler. Try a CM Hyper 212 Plus or KINGWIN XT-1264 120mm Xtreme. They have huge heatsinks that will fit (and work) perfectly on that old CPU. I have a Kingwin on my old X64 6400 3.2GHz BE, runs @40c+ - 60c+.
BTW they're good for 90c.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64.... I had on a AM2 Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Windsor Core 125W and never had an issue. I even OC'ed it for a little bit to 3.3 just for a test.
The only thing I have to say is the swing arm that tightens it on CPU has to be up towards the PSU, that way the fan is by the RAM and blows towards the rear exhaust fan.

now, I am putting on a AM3 Athlon II X2 3.0 65W it should be even better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a AC freezer pro 64 on my fx57 chip in a previous build, and it worked great. like it was said your problem is the fan is pushing hot air up from the video card below and also im sure the side closest to the ram (almost looks like its touching the heat spreader on the ram) is also getting nice and hot...what you need to do if you can find a cpu cooler that will pull air from the front of the case to the back...and install if possible a fan to bring in cool air from the front...so you get a FLOW across the hot section of your mobo. Doing that will help to cool your ram cpu cooler and maybe even bring some cool air for your video card to NOM up

AND on a more personal note...i still have my old cpu cooler, and it looks like it has the same way of attaching it to the brace around the cpu. The big differance is that the attachment brace is mounted so that air would actully push the air back tward that other fan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.