Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Intel 4670k, 12 gb of ddr3. 3 ssd 500 mb/s. wx 4100 4gb radeon.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I. fffffffffff hate this heatsink. 4 hours last night trying to drive philips. then i went and bought new driver only to find out ffffffffffn bracket cant reach screw from heatsink.
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Light Bumper
Musical instrument Input device Personal computer Computer Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I hope you did not fully screw in one side all the way then tried the other..... My D14 and D15 will do the same if I did that. Barely screw in one side then try then try the other side. The springs are the only this keeping you from getting it on.

How long are the 4 screws to the AM4 motherboard? You could just try to put the heatsink to the bracket then try to attach the bracket to the AM4 mounting holes.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I over clocked to 4.7 ghz. And then when I went for 4.8 ghz it booted too and I encoded a 1440p video on handbrake no problem. Then I booted to windows at 5 ghz and I get this stupid error code. WHEA. So I went back to 4.7. No still the error code. So I went back to 4.5 ghz where I started off with. Nope. So now I had to reinstall windows. That solved that. and I'm at 4.5 ghz vcore at 1.325 volts and 1.860 ucore.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I don't agree with that statement Takla. The engineering is done here in Canada or the grand usa. The manufacturing is done in china/thailand. The shoddy manufacturing when it is shoddy, is from poorly paid workers made to work extremely long hours.

There's a joke in China. The chinese government is in a limousine and are following the american's. They come to a fork in the road. on the left is communism. On the right is Capitalism. The americans turn on their right signal light and turn right. The chinese government turn on their left signal light and turn right.

Arctic coolers are German. So it's shoddy German engineering. Yet the heatsink and fan itself is doing a pretty good job right now. Top temperature is about 54'c on load. vcore 1.325 and 4.5 ghz. 800 mhz over clock.

Or maybe the bracket was engineered by americans which is why it's so damn hard to install. And the heat sink is designed in Germany which is why it's so much better then the cooler master hyper evo v2. For only ten bucks more.

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
Yeah, you blame engineers for what is obviously problems caused by user inexperience. I'm not at all blaming crowhigh for not knowing to start all screws before tightening any. You could have similar problem mounting motherboard by tightening first screw installed .. or even first 2 screws. It's one of the most basic bits of knowledge assembly knowledge we learn in school of hard knocks .. by making the mistake and then learning to just start all screws before tightening.

Crowhigh:
Sounds like cooler is cooling your system well. Do you have Handbrake set to high CPU use? In Preferences, Advanced, Priority set "high". But even on high it's not working CPU super hard, especially if CPU is multi-core. I run 2 or more 2 sessions of Handbrake, all encoding at same time to max out load. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I followed the directions on the animated tutorial to the letter. It never said anything about tightening the heat sink to the brackets first. In fact I did do that before Boot318 mentioned it. But instead of limiting the screwing rotations to just the bare minimum I screwed it all the way in. Good thing "Boot" replied otherwise I would have overlooked that mistake.

So this comes down to whoever wrote the help manual tutorial, and here it is for everyone to view: Arctic Own. Click on installation.

Had I known this before I wouldn't have had walk 5 km to buy another Philips driver, a longer one, like in the bleeding picture. And then spend $13 on corsair t30 thermal paste. Because the tutorial I was given said the thermal paste has to be wiped after a couple hours unless you seat the heat sink on top and it stays put. Bleeding ick.

Anyway. The cooler cost me with new driver and new paste: $ 85.00 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But it looks pretty. And it's performance is steller. At full load even without the mx-5 thermal paste (corsiar t30) my temp goes up to 54'C, no more then 60'c. Which seems to be the sweet spot for my processor.

I don't know why. Maybe it's the cooling is better. Maybe it's because 300mhz makes a massive difference when you go past 4ghz. I don't know. But for some reason going from 4.2 ghz on stock cooler to 4.5ghz has made a huge impact for me.

And yes when I tested my system at 4.7 ghz I used handbrake with priority to high and encoded at 1440p. I also read tutorials and there were no glitches.
Part of me wants to run windows at 4.7 ghz or even get it closer to 5 ghz. But logically.... Something I spent $370.00 on and now it's running 800mhz faster and I can actually game with it, and stable. Not bad. On supreme commander forged alliance and FAF. I'm no longer slowing down the game with 2k units. Literally only a 500 mhz gap between me and players that have 8 core 5 ghz cpu's.
Automotive lighting Gas Headlamp Gadget Wire

Gadget Audio equipment Computer hardware Electronic instrument Gas

Mouse Peripheral Computer hardware Electronic instrument Audio equipment

Peripheral Personal computer Computer keyboard Input device Computer

Also I had this stuttering problem before. I don't know if it was because I was hacked and hacked again for not changing my username password for windows. But my cpu doesn't suddenly go max like it's running prime95 and my mouse doesn't go slow motion anymore and slowly blinks off and on while crossing the screen.

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
Maybe it should be included in instructions but then they would need to go into much more detail about other common sense things. And knowing to start all screws thru a piece before tightening them is basic common sense. If it was included in instructions, there would be something else that someone would not do correctly .. maybe complain because screws wouldn't thread in because they didn't know screws needed to be turned clockwise to thread in. ;) Like I said, you could have had the same problem of not being able to start screw mounting motherboard if you had tightened first on installed.

Glad it's all worked out.

It doesn't have "steller" performance. It performs on par with other similar coolers .. which definitely perform way better than stock coolers. ;)

Do keep in mind while Handbrake does work system pretty hard it is not working it as hard as is possible. When CPU is really working hard user cannot use keyboard without a lag between keystroke and text showing on screen. ;) I've ran stress test that used CPU so completely I couldn't stop test. System could not register keyboard input. o_O

Link below looks like decent explanation of many different system test software. Maybe give one of them a try.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Maybe it should be included in instructions but then they would need to go into much more detail about other common sense things. And knowing to start all screws thru a piece before tightening them is basic common sense. If it was included in instructions, there would be something else that someone would not do correctly .. maybe complain because screws wouldn't thread in because they didn't know screws needed to be turned clockwise to thread in. ;) Like I said, you could have had the same problem of not being able to start screw mounting motherboard if you had tightened first on installed.

Glad it's all worked out.

It doesn't have "steller" performance. It performs on par with other similar coolers .. which definitely perform way better than stock coolers. ;)

Do keep in mind while Handbrake does work system pretty hard it is not working it as hard as is possible. When CPU is really working hard user cannot use keyboard without a lag between keystroke and text showing on screen. ;) I've ran stress test that used CPU so completely I couldn't stop test. System could not register keyboard input. o_O

Link below looks like decent explanation of many different system test software. Maybe give one of them a try.

What happens when I call their tech support or contact them through their forums. First thing they're going to ask me is: Did you follow the steps outlined in the tutorial?

The brackets on top that the heat sink screws into. They're bent. By doing this I have voided my warranty! It doesn't say to do this in the tutorial. I know I can't send it back to manufacturer if a a defect appears later on.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
I don't know why that all happened and I'm not sure I want to. If it gets like that again I'm just gonna close this. Cleaned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts