Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, recently it came to light that some of Arctic Liquid Freezer products were defective. I bought one such product ( Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 ) back in early 2022. And I gonna share my experience regarding the product.

First things first, I bought the product second hand, from someone else who brought it from the other country ( assumingly ) with intention of reselling it. Dude had like 20 of these and he was selling them for half the price. Maybe he knew that something was wrong with these coolers or maybe he bought them from someone with huge discount. Who knows, regardless, product itself was new and had no visible issues with it.

I have multiple unused AIOs and at the time I was using some CoolerMaster 240 AIO which I modified a little. Changing tubbing and running antifreeze / distilled water mixture. Just to add to this from modifying multiple AIOs I found antifreeze and distilled water mixture to do a better job than whatever AIOs came with originally. Likely due to AIOs being filled incorrectly and due to liquid permeation.

Now when I first slapped this 360 AIO on my CPU I noticed that it gave me worse temperatures compared to my modified 240mm AIO. That was a little bit weird, I thought it had bad contact with my lapped / sanded
Brown Wood Amber Rectangle Tints and shades
I tried both older and newer mounts, newer mount gave me slightly lower temperature so I went with that. Tightening it more to CPU socket helped a little and finally running pump at 100% gave me slight edge over my old and modified 240mm AIO.

I knew something was off with this 360 AIO, but for the time being I had enough cooling for my Ryzen 3800x. Before you call it low power draw chip, I am running EDC bug on it allowing it to boost quite a bit higher and run up to 170 - 200 watts.

So time went by and last month GamersNexus video came out about coolers being defective. That very moment I knew that I have such cooler. That same day or day after ( I don't remember ) I went on Arctic website and filled short form to get replacement plate. I didn't need to pay for anything or to confirm anything. Didn't need to prove anyhow that I even have the cooler.

It took around one month for me to get the replacement
Rectangle Font Wood Electric blue Business card
Fluid Font Personal care Electric blue Plastic bottle

And today I decided to invest my time in it and replace the old and ineffective cold plate.

I removed the old plate and I been greeted with
Rectangle Font Gas Circle Metal
sight. And it was very clear to me that I in fact had defective cooler here. Cold plate looked like
Grille Wood Automotive radiator part Rectangle Gas

I didn't take any pictures of liquid itself but it was full of some white gunk so I just flushed it out and replaced it with antifreeze / distilled water mixture. I usually use 20% antifreeze and 80% distilled water. Anything within 15 to 30% antifreeze ratio will work good.

For comparison both new and old cold plates
Brown Rectangle Wood Material property Font
and
Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue Tints and shades

Filling AIO was rather easy and fast and I would suggest replacing coolant if it's full of gunk. If you want to use antifreeze and distilled water mixture.

DO NOT.
  • Smell antifreeze
  • Taste antifreeze
  • Touch your eyes or face after getting antifreeze on your hands

I feel like you need to leave these kind of warnings in this day and age. Regardless be careful to not get antifreeze where it shouldn't be if you decide to use antifreeze and distilled water mixture.

Now with that aside I did run AVX2 load to see how much different temperature would be with new cold plate. Test is not fully consistent because I ran out of my Zalman thermal paste and had to use crappier mx5 and generic thermal paste mixture. Why mixture? Because Arctic included this TINY thermal paste tube that contained incredibly small amount of thermal paste that wouldn't stick to my lapped / sanded CPU IHS. It wouldn't even be enough to cover heat spreader, and I had to mix it with generic thermal paste for such reason. Since I didn't have any better thermal paste at hand.

Settings used during tests were fully default ( default as in default BIOS settings ) and silent AIO settings. In other words not 100% pump speed, running pump at 100% would give better results of course. Take note, even with much crappier thermal paste mixture I was getting better temperatures. Here are the results.

Before plate change.

15 minutes Prime95 AVX2 Small FFTs.

Average effective core clock 4113 MHz
Average core voltage 1.275v
Average temperature 88c. Max temperature 91.5c
Max power draw 178w

After plate change.

15 minutes Prime95 AVX2 Small FFTs.

Average effective clock 4195 MHz
Average core voltage 1.257v
Average temperature 86.6c. Max temperature 88.8c
Max power draw 186w.

Reading taken from HWinfo. I haven't tested 100% pump speed, previously I have tested 100% pump speed with crappy gunked cold plate and it was giving lower temps but honestly not too much lower.

Will have to test this. Feel free to share your experience with this product in this thread.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to ask, if you don't mind, if you're confident in your antifreeze's anti-corrosion abilities.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to ask, if you don't mind, if you're confident in your antifreeze's anti-corrosion abilities.
Yea, I am quite confident in running antifreeze / distilled water mixture. I was running it on multiple AIOs for several years with see through tubing. Had no issues with it and seen no weird things floating in the loop.

I often see better results with antifreeze / distilled water mixture compared to AIO liquid that was in AIO already. Likely could be even better if you drop ratio to 10% antifreeze and 90% distilled water. Although 15 - 30% worked quite well for me.

I am not sure that this had any impact but I always used green antifreeze. Another thing I noticed if using the same tubing there is less permeation, or seemingly less permeation compared to AIO liquid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts