Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i just replaced the craptacular thermal compound that comes on the stock intel cpu heat sink with some arctic silver 5 TC. right off the start i noticed a 7-10c decrease in temps...awsome right...well now a few days later 3 days to be exact im seeing temps that are 12c higher than my original temps. I think i remember reading some where that it will do that and in a few more days cool back down. Anyone with experience with this stuff please let me know what your thoughts...especally anyone pairing it with slightly OC E8500...(3.3ghz). thanks

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
AS5 does need some curing time, can't recall how long as it's been awhile since I used it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bo_Punk_2.0

·
Registered
787 Posts
I recently built a Athlon 64x2 rig and I used the same paste. For about a week it sat at the same temperature, but then I noticed an increase of about 6-8C myself, but that could be due to the fact that I put the side of the case on and have no fans on the case yet

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
an estimated 200hrs for the curing time; give or take.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i pulled my HS off and the paste looked real spotty like i didnt put enuf TC on there so i added a tiny bit more and smoothed it out with a credit card popped it all back together and im already back down to 46C from about 56C...lol funny thing is when i had that crappy stock stuff they had on there i had it down to 33C with an extra fan sitting on top of my gtx260 pointing at my CPU. I hope that after this and 200hrs...ill leave my computer on 24hs till then that ill see the temp drop down to at least 33C if not better. With that would anyone suggest i run a cpu torture test once a day to get the temps up in the 70-85C range for a little bit?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and interesting enuf even with the breakin ill only notice a differance of 2-5C after the 200hrs...so my issue of going from 33C to 46C is most likely either the method of application or the cleanlyness of the cpu prior to TC application...and No i did not do it the same way the AS5 site told me to do it...however the method i used is very similar to the way most people do it. Alas i may have to start from scratch and use isoprople this time...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks cravenr1 for the AS5 instructions...cleaning it off and doing it the way it stated netted me my better temps...anyone else that will be using AS5 pay close attention to the way you put the line of TC on and that its in line with where the yellow arrow is supposed to point. Also just a note, but even though this is a pain to do i suggest taking your MB out of the case to do this in order to spin the HS onto the cpu in order to spread it out...dont use a credit card or anything like that its a waste of paste, and will almost always give you air pockets. Remember the CPU is the hottest and most important thing on your MB so mateing up your HS with the cpu is key to keep it cool and running for a long time especally if you have plans to overclock...thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im using core temp 0.99.5 and i get quite a bit of random variance in my temp reading it can be 43 then 48 then back to 44 or 43...also my ambient temp in my case is usually around 16-20c my cpu temp is around 49c is that about right for that ambient temp? So idk if core temp uses my sensor in the cpu or other means. if anyone knows a better program for senseing my cpu temp please let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts