Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have Ceramique on my e5200. When I upgrade to the Q9550, I don't know if I should stick with the Ceramique or go with the AS 5.

Since this was my first build in a long time, I went with the Ceramique because it's not conductive but I see AS 5 is highly loved too.

Has anyone done side by side comparisons on what works better?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Ceramique is a good TIM. TBH the brands doesn't matter that much, there's only 1-2C difference between Ceramique and some of the better TIMs like MX-3 or OCZ Freeze.
I'd say use up your ceramique and then get OCZ Freeze, it's cheap, very good performance, no curing time, doesn't bleed and it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
I agree. Just use what you have. There is a bigger difference between a decent, brand name TIM and the white stuff than between different brand TIM. I still use AS5, but that is only because I have a ton of almost empty tubes, lol.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies.

Since I don't plan on changing out the quad core ever again, I have no problem with going with something better now. If I'm going to drop 250 on a new processor, I have no problem spending a couple bucks on better TIM.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Thanks for the quick replies.

Since I don't plan on changing out the quad core ever again, I have no problem with going with something better now. If I'm going to drop 250 on a new processor, I have no problem spending a couple bucks on better TIM.
Then get MX-3 or OCZ Freeze.
If you want to be really hardcore though and get yourself some bragging rights, get Coollaboratory Liquid Pro. But it's conductive ^^

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBeeJ View Post
HELL YEAH,
Some1 agreed with me
. Not only conductive it oxidizes aluminum. So if your heatsink/block has aluminum in it, i.e. the base has aluminum, stay away from it. Its also the hardest to apply but its results if applied right are remarkable
Hehe

Yeah it is very important to not use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro with aluminium coolers. Aluminum could form an alloy with "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" which would react with the surrounding air's humidity.
I have never used it myself though, but I'm thinking of trying it out sometime.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
yeah, I'm fairly sure the dark knight is aluminum so no deal there.
It's partially copper and aluminium, the heat pipes are made of copper and the things that are between the heatpipes are made of aluminium.
So yes, it's a no go for the dark knight.

·
Iconoclast
30,437 Posts
I've used Liquid Pro, and it's temps, when applied properly, cannot be beat. However, it's a royal pain in the ass to apply properly, and cannot be completely removed without lapping. And yes, it does corrode aluminum and is extremely conductive.

AS5 may not be conductive with the voltages you run into inside a PC, but it's capacitance can cause almost as many problems. More than once I've gotten a tiny amount where it's not supposed to be, and couldn't use a GPU, CPU, or mobo until I cleaned it off completely.

Ceramique is not the best performer, and takes even longer to set than AS5, but it's still within 2-3C of the best non-metalic TIMs after it's been worked in and it lasts forever. Some high performing TIMs (like Prolimatech PK-1 or TX-2) have worn out on me in 3-6 months when exposed to frequent and extreme thermal cycling. Even AS5 and Noctua NT-H1 rarely last more than a year in these situations. However, I have parts that have had the same application of Ceramique on them for 3-5 years and show no degradation in thermal performance. Furthermore, Ceramique is a great deal. It's less than a quarter the price of many TIMs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts