Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to some guy on youtube, well actually the guy started screaming at me that ATI's drivers were awesome and they were actually so Godly and perfect. I have an ati card and I can definetly say they aren't all Godly. My first drivers that were on a disc were good and then when I upgrade its unstable and crashes left and right.

Anyways I would like to ask if ati has good drivers? also is my system good?

I hope not to offend anyone here with the word Godly. Just quoting some person on youtube...

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
ATI drivers are just fine. I've had the same number of problems with Nvidia drivers as I have the ATI drivers (aka, zero)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nvidia is better known for good drivers and ATI is known to have worse drivers however I wouldn't consider either of them perfect, ATI has problems with fully utilizing their cards and both manufacturers have problems with good multi card drivers.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I'd say neither ATI nor nvidia have perfect drivers. They are getting better, but they probably won't be perfect for years to come. My cousins own a couple a ATI cards(4850, 4890, 2900xt) and they have had their share of problems but I've also had my own with my nvidia cards(8600gts, 2 8800gtx's).

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I've always heard that ATI Drivers are better and nVIDIA cards are better

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Personally I preferred ATI drivers, never had an issue that wasn't user error.

The only positive aspect of NV drivers are the profile options, that's it IMO.
I don't like the fact that NV releases a dozen drivers a week (seems like) and I still have to use a 2 month old driver because the newest driver always manages to muck something up.

Like the newest WHQL version, trashed them after 2 days, card won't clock down, Crysis locks up....
Also the bloatware NV is including now, uh hello not everyone uses the stereo vision, why force me to install the support?

Please lets not get personal here, keep it clean and respectful.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Personally I preferred ATI drivers, never had an issue that wasn't user error.

The only positive aspect of NV drivers are the profile options, that's it IMO.
I don't like the fact that NV releases a dozen drivers a week (seems like) and I still have to use a 2 month old driver because the newest driver always manages to muck something up.

Like the newest WHQL version, trashed them after 2 days, card won't clock down, Crysis locks up....
Also the bloatware NV is including now, uh hello not everyone uses the stereo vision, why force me to install the support?

Please lets not get personal here, keep it clean and respectful.
Yeah I agree. Sorry bout that

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcheez View Post
well...sometimes you have to pray that they work..
yea buddy!!!!!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
having had a Nvidia 8600gt before my ATI 4850 I would have to say that the NVIDIA drivers where better for the interface and that the ATI ones are good for the overdrive
feature.
I just wish that ATI could fix the crofire problem in XP like they said they did back in CCC 9.4/9.5/9.6 and now I'm now onto 9.7 and still to no avail CCC still tells me that my secondary card is disabled.
This I know is a small gripe but annoying none the less

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Dear freaking god...never....and i mean NEVER go to youtube if your in the mood to debate...if you look through half of the crysis and gta iv videos on youtube you will see the tech know how of the average moron who trolls youtube...

Trying to talk sense into them or expecting a half right answer from anyone on youtube is ridiculous...they are all morons...period...

On a side note i can't comment on drivers just yet...my 4870 is still in transit...iv enjoyed my 260GTX and 9800GTX+ though....lets just see what the red tide brings in..

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Do they still make Warcats and other 3rd Party drivers, or no?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
Do they still make Warcats and other 3rd Party drivers, or no?
owned a 4870 and 4890, not a single driver problem, rock solid "driver problems" are caused by people not knowing what they are doing "aka not uninstalling old drivers before reinstalling new ones" <- usually Nvidia drivers left on HDD.

But that said ive never had problems with Nvidia drivers either owned a 7900gt, 8800gt, and GTX260

So no 90% of the time its not the driver, its the user

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdesbien31 View Post
So no 90% of the time its not the driver, its the user
Exactly.
I've owned both ATI and Nvidia and never had any major problems with either.

·
Banned
2,135 Posts
I don't like nvidia drivers anymore. But I've had no experience with ATI since my X700, at which time they were terrible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts