Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering if computer parts are sensitive to static? Like to the extent you need to use antistatic items? I used an antistatic wrist-strap to build mine but I was wondering if it's really necessary. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
They are sensitive.

I don't use one and maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't ever fried something from static.

If you work buiding PCs every day then at soime point, you will damage components

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Yes, to a certain extent. I mean they are suseptible to it, and that wrist bracelet will help and it's good practise to use it, but it's not like they are gonna instantly go boom if you touch them with a little bit of static charge built up in you.

Another good thing you can do is constantly touch your metal case while handling any parts near your rig. It will ground you

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
They used to be however now they are somewhat more resilient. That is not to say that they will be happy if you rub balloons on them or wrap them up in that nylon sweater that your aunt bought you for Christmas. Take some simple precautions and you will be fine.
  • Ground yourself on the metal frame of the case before stating work, that will get rid of any static you may be carrying.
  • Try to avoid touching pins and connectors as much as possible
  • Store any unused equipment in ESD bags
  • Don't rub balloons on the inside of your case.

I have never killed any component with static and I have been fairly blase about it in the past.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ESD has never gotten me, but ive always been taught (in my classes) that it is the silent killer.. i was actually kind of shocked at the lack of care regarding ESD people on ocn have (placing components on carpet for pictures)
i try to always ground out before i go putting my hands in my case..

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
ESD is a big deal. Most people completely disregard it. I work with sensitive military equipment that costs in the six to seven figure range and always have to wear my strap, no signal generating devices/electronics withing 24 inches, etc etc. Yes, I've seen things get killed just by someone touching it with their hands and no ground.

I'd venture a guess that 50% of supposedly DOA components that people whine about are their own fault from shuffling across the carpet to pick up a brand new GPU or motherboard.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PB4UGO
View Post

i just posted in another thread just now about keeping a pc on carpet. uh...i wouldn't.

and yeah, for the 2 seconds it takes to put a strap-on while tinkering in your pc, why not?

Fixed

On topic: i never use static strap(ons)hehehe...

·
(つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kill
View Post

Fixed

On topic: i never use static strap(ons)hehehe...

Ohh you!

But yes, they can be. I've never personally used an anti static strap, but when ever I would open up a PC i would just touch the inside of the case. And everything is working fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn
View Post

They used to be however now they are somewhat more resilient. That is not to say that they will be happy if you rub balloons on them or wrap them up in that nylon sweater that your aunt bought you for Christmas. Take some simple precautions and you will be fine.
  • Ground yourself on the metal frame of the case before stating work, that will get rid of any static you may be carrying.
  • Try to avoid touching pins and connectors as much as possible
  • Store any unused equipment in ESD bags
  • Don't rub balloons on the inside of your case.

This made my night XD

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've build a few rigs and I've never had any of them get killed by static. As long as you don't wear a wool jumpsuit with gloves and assemble your computer on a carpet, you should be fine.

Then again, safety precautions are always nice. If you have the option to use an antistatic strap, why not use it?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I remember accidentally killing my motherboard with static electricity.

It was sometime in the middle of winter, when I walked over to my computer. My PC case had USB ports on the top of it. I simply plugged a thumbdrive into the top port and bzt.. the screen froze, no POST, etc.

I found out the hard way that front panel USB ports are ungrounded. Luckily the motherboard was the only thing that needed replacing.

·
H20 only!
348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion49
View Post

ESD is a big deal. Most people completely disregard it. I work with sensitive military equipment that costs in the six to seven figure range and always have to wear my strap, no signal generating devices/electronics withing 24 inches, etc etc. Yes, I've seen things get killed just by someone touching it with their hands and no ground.

I'd venture a guess that 50% of supposedly DOA components that people whine about are their own fault from shuffling across the carpet to pick up a brand new GPU or motherboard.

Completely Disagree... on some of this.

I work with multi thousand to multi million dollar equipment every day, its my job as a CCNP. I will say they are vulnerable but by no means will I say that its a huge concern. Where as we do require people to wear these straps in case of the rare chance this would happen.

As for the DOAs. Not even close to 50% to this. I am far more inclined to believe that these are pieces damaged in shipping or just down right ignorance on the installers part. Not ES damage in general.

There are important things to note. It takes no time to ground yourself properly to avoid the issue anyhow so why not? But are you going to kill your chip outright just because your unprotected at any time you touch it? Nope. Just do not mess with contact points for power and data and generally you will be just fine with wise handling.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
They are actually not as sensitive as portrayed. It isn't necessary to wear a anti static wriststrap unless you're building you're computer on a carpet with thick shaggy socks. Just touch the metal part of your case once in a while and you should be fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They ARE sensitive to static, but as long as you ground yourself (i touch my computer case) you will be fine

i THINK i fried a stick of ram before.. but im not sure that it either a) arrived fried, B) was teh wrong kind, or C) was installed wrong. either way i returned it with no fuss

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I have never used the wrist guards or anything like that. I have built and repaired PCs for years while sitting on my couch with socks on, on a carpet. That being said, they are very sensitive to ESD and I would feel dumb should I ever fry something. I do take special care though when I work on them to avoid this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts