Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting a build together online just for fun, and I was thinking dust filters would help alot in the long term, but would they? Does anyone here have them already? If so, how are they, and how much air flow is blocked by em?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
They are nice to have, I'd recommend them. You have to vacuum them clean once in a while, but that's a lot easier than vacuuming the whole computer.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.
smile.gif

First and foremost, I am not baggin' on filters.

That having been said, I avoid them as they (or at least the ones I have used) decrease airflow.

I suppose it comes down to the environment the system in question resides in, and the cleaning/maintenance habits of the owner.

If one has a tendency to clean and dust the system(s) weekly and lives in a house that has minimal dust, then filters may not be something needed.

I also have a medical-grade air filter that runs 24/7/365 so dust, pollen and general airborne detritus is constantly scrubbed from the environment.

2cents.gif

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian;12021663
Hi.
smile.gif

First and foremost, I am not baggin' on filters.

That having been said, I avoid them as they (or at least the ones I have used) decrease airflow.

I suppose it comes down to the environment the system in question resides in, and the cleaning/maintenance habits of the owner.

If one has a tendency to clean and dust the system(s) weekly and lives in a house that has minimal dust, then filters may not be something needed.

I also have a medical-grade air filter that runs 24/7/365 so dust, pollen and general airborne detritus is constantly scrubbed from the environment.

2cents.gif
drool.gif
I live in a basement apartment, that would work wonders in my house.. wanna loan it to me?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbliss23;12021629
I've been putting a build together online just for fun, and I was thinking dust filters would help alot in the long term, but would they? Does anyone here have them already? If so, how are they, and how much air flow is blocked by em?
I have them on my 700D and plan to get a SilverStone 140mm magnetic fan filter.

They reduce the CFM/air flow, but the amount of dust they keep out (70-80% for me) is a lot. You can offset the loss of airflow with more fans until you have positive air pressure (I think) where the air is escaping out the gaps/vents in your system as out take instead of intake (negative pressure).

Fan filters are something I recommend for systems with lots of fans or vents to mount fans like 700D or Antec 1200. You'll lose airflow, but you'll keep a ton of dust out of it. I think the amount of airflow lost is only 1-2C in terms of temps.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you plan on cleaning it you don't really need dust filter.
If you are too lazy to clean it, get dust filters.
Either way cleaning is cleaning.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
i'd invest in one of these instead

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Get them, nothing worse than trying to clean an ECO Alu or H50 after six months.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg2;12021688
They reduce the CFM/air flow, but the amount of dust they keep out (70-80% for me) is a lot.
That's what I'm looking for. Chances are the computer they are equipped to I will be keeping for a really long time. After 1 year with my current rig, the dust is tremendous. I have a dog in my house which makes it pretty bad. Filters, or at least vey high quality ones, might be a wise investment.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Take a 50 CFM fan. Put a grill in front of it, it's not like a 40 CFM fan, if not less. Put a dust filter in front of that, it's like 20 CFM.

A fan works best with absolutely nothing in front of it. If you don't want dust, don't have fresh air coming into the case. Fresh air will always bring dust, it's reality.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Not 100% necessary but depends on your environment. My rigs pick up a lot of dust and without the filters I would be forever cleaning them. I clean mine one a month and then do a full system strip dwn and rebuild and clean every 12 months.

I always notice after I clean every thing, they sound a little quieter.

If you had no filters, your CPU cooler would get jammed up pretty quick and you will start to see higher temps as the airflow gets restricted. Not recomended if you are overclocking.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
YES dust filters are worth the Decreased Airflow.

Thruth is you should plan for it before you buy the filters. Buy your self a fan with alot of static pressure and it wont even notice the filters are there. Yet your pc will live longer/ be quiter / get lower temps.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Filters are definitely worth it if you don't have a super-clean environment with lots of dust extraction. Yes they do impede air flow, but it's way easier to clean a fan filter now and again than dust out a whole computer.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
i used to have dust filters on all my others cases except this HAF 932, and i didn't like how they blocked some airflow, and they always looked like poo even though my house is pretty clean, i have an air compressor i can dust my rig out every 2-3 weeks or so when it starts getting dusty.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls;12022379
i used to have dust filters on all my others cases except this HAF 932, and i didn't like how they blocked some airflow, and they always looked like poo even though my house is pretty clean, i have an air compressor i can dust my rig out every 2-3 weeks or so when it starts getting dusty.
I thought of using an air compressor but I heard they can damage parts. Which would be easier and most useful? Filters or just upgrading the way I clean the pc itself?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My case came with filters built in and I love it. 3 months without cleaning and the inside is as clean as day 1. All I have done is pull the filters out and cleaned them with a vacuum one time. Every build will include filters for the rest of my life as far as I'm concerned.

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbliss23;12021629
Dust will begin to build up on them and, yes, reduce air flow, but its alot easier to clean the filters than to clean the crap out of your computer. you wouldn't need them on the exhaust fans, since you would want the dust to escape the inside of the case.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplaneman;12021685
drool.gif
I live in a basement apartment, that would work wonders in my house.. wanna loan it to me?
tongue.gif
Do you have central HVAC? If so, you can just use a HEPA filter for the return instead of a cheap fiberglass one. They are about 8x more expensive but last 3x longer. Not to mention, they remove a lot more crap from the air. /off topic

I have my rig set up so that all incoming air goes through a filter. The filter needs to be cleaned about once a month, the rig, yearly(and it's really not that bad after a year I could probably go two years). My last rig did not have a filter and it would be nasty after six months.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunn;12022585
Do you have central HVAC? If so, you can just use a HEPA filter for the return instead of a cheap fiberglass one. They are about 8x more expensive but last 3x longer. Not to mention, they remove a lot more crap from the air. /off topic

I have my rig set up so that all incoming air goes through a filter. The filter needs to be cleaned about once a month, the rig, yearly(and it's really not that bad after a year I could probably go two years). My last rig did not have a filter and it would be nasty after six months.
Unfortunately no, I don't. That sounds like it would work brilliantly though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts