Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says everything, i am using reference clock profiles to avoid tearing and extend oC limits in msi ab, since i cant do classic xcl because of two cards.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
So you want to run Idle/Load voltages/clocks form a hd7970 on a hd7950?

I think that will be 100% safe, but the stability will depend on how good the hd7950 is.

But why do you want to use ''reference'' clock profile to avoid tearing?
Is that because you run a hd7950 and hd7970 in crossfire and get tearing from not matching speeds?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, i am getting tearing in msi ab when i want to overclock if i dont use custom clock profiles, with one card that is easy, just use xcl on end of command line and done, but with more cards you need to have custom pp tables for all running cards, and xcl command will unlock only one or master/primary card. Xcl creates custom power play tables for card, but tsm106 sent me his hd 7970 profiles, fan profile is broken, but its not important for me since i have watercooling.

Problem is i just cant get pp tables for slave cards, i would have to disassemble entire loop and slave must be primary to be unlocked and then re-assamble again everyhting to have reference pp tables on both cards. Bih hassle.

I tried with method to just plug in monitor in second card, but its not working, no pp are created.

Thanks for reply by the way.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
But all the XCL command does is Extend the maximum MHz in the sliders right?

And with different PP tables, what do you mean exactly? Like for every MHz strap there is a voltage pre-programmed? Or just the Low power 2d state/ video state/ 3d game state?
Im not really understanding this

Can you maybe fix it by flashing the exact same bios on each card? Or manually editing the VID/voltage with Radeon HD77xx/78xx/79xx BIOS Editor v0.4
(Link is on techpower up, cant find the thread on OCN at this moment)

Im just at work and kinda bored, so im just trying to help, Sorry if im telling complete crap
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: sena

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sena View Post

Title says everything, i am using reference clock profiles to avoid tearing and extend oC limits in msi ab, since i cant do classic xcl because of two cards.

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can apply xcl to any and all crossfire cards, you just are doing it wrong. If only there was a guide to show you how...
wink.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescotter View Post

And with different PP tables, what do you mean exactly? Like for every MHz strap there is a voltage pre-programmed? Or just the Low power 2d state/ video state/ 3d game state?

Can you maybe fix it by flashing the exact same bios on each card? Or manually editing the VID/voltage with Radeon HD77xx/78xx/79xx BIOS Editor v0.4

Im just at work and kinda bored, so im just trying to help, Sorry if im telling complete crap
biggrin.gif
XCL has a major drawback, it cannot create tables for non-active cards, ie. cards that are not the main running card. Thus for Sena, since he is watercooled in a loop, its a pain to run xcl. Though Sena you simply disable crossfire/eyefinity and plug your monitor to each card and boot with that card, run xcl, rinse repeat. Yeap, it's still a pain in the ass each time especially since you have to re-run xcl after a new driver. It can get annoying. Luckily there's a simpler way to do it, takes two clicks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescotter View Post

biggrin.gif
No problem mate, any help is welcome. I think states are only affected by this, gpu voltage is still in bios card or in msi ab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Yes you can apply xcl to any and all crossfire cards, you just are doing it wrong. If only there was a guide to show you how...
wink.gif
I tried you method, maybe i missed one step, dont know, but i have done this, installed drivers, installed msi ab, run xcl on master card, then i shuted down pc, pluged monitor in slave, run xcl again from another shortcut, then i shuted down pc again, pluged back in master, and again only master is unlocked.
Are these steps ok, or i am really doing something wrong, should i run xcl for both card from one shorcut or two?
Quote:

XCL has a major drawback, it cannot create tables for non-active cards, ie. cards that are not the main running card. Thus for Sena, since he is watercooled in a loop, its a pain to run xcl. Though Sena you simply disable crossfire/eyefinity and plug your monitor to each card and boot with that card, run xcl, rinse repeat. Yeap, it's still a pain in the ass each time especially since you have to re-run xcl after a new driver. It can get annoying. Luckily there's a simpler way to do it, takes two clicks.
Yes, pain in the ass. Dont know why amd did such think in the first place?

btw thanks all guys for help and info, +1 rep.

btw 2 what happened to your guide, it was really helpfull?

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Hmmm, you can't use the registry trick with two dissimilar cards. You'll have to manually swap the cables to each card and then do the xcl switch. Once you complete that, export the gpu folder from the registry, then delete everything except for the pp tables for each gpu. Then save that, back it up for future use and so long as you don't physically move the gpu you can continue to use that reg file in the future.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Btw, you can check to confirm that the extended clocks switch worked by checking the registry for the corresponding pp table. You'll know it worked because the entry will be there.

That said, why do you want to use official method? You're at the mercy of powerplay using official method.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Hmmm, you can't use the registry trick with two dissimilar cards. You'll have to manually swap the cables to each card and then do the xcl switch. Once you complete that, export the gpu folder from the registry, then delete everything except for the pp tables for each gpu. Then save that, back it up for future use and so long as you don't physically move the gpu you can continue to use that reg file in the future.
Hmm, pretty complicated, but i would give it a try, if hd 7970 clock profiles are safe, then its easier alternative.
Quote:

Btw, you can check to confirm that the extended clocks switch worked by checking the registry for the corresponding pp table. You'll know it worked because the entry will be there.

That said, why do you want to use official method? You're at the mercy of powerplay using official method.
Yes, and eliminate screen tearing, this is because amd something messes and now msi ab is confilicting with drivers and without xcl any atte

For some odd reason, with unnofocial method i am getting freezes with flash player enabled.
And since that is what powers youtube, its a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts