Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, are jokes that poke fun at politicians or political parties considered to be against the TOS? I read through the TOS, but couldn't find anything that related to this.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn. OK, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf
As the title says, are jokes that poke fun at politicians or political parties considered to be against the TOS? I read through the TOS, but couldn't find anything that related to this.

I've seen forum directors post political stuff. So, I would just ask one of them. I think a good joke is a good joke, regardless if it's political in nature. It just depends on their mood I guess. I still haven't figured them out.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
no matter what is against the TOS, the only issue is if you will get called on it. not every political comment is purged from the forums

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf

I think it will depend very much on the specific content of the joke/humour in question and what, specifically makes it political and to what degree.

A while ago CyberDruid made a post with a link to a video clip, making fun of G W Bush and I and one or two others contributed similar links to similar video clips. There was virtually no politics in the clips though; mainly they made fun of the man himself, rather than any of his political beliefs, or policies.

I think that in general making fun of a public person, like an actor, or politician is OK, but making fun of political policy or ideology, or making some kind of political point is not OK.

It's a tricky subject matter and it has to handled carefully, with an understanding of the issues, so you can avoid highlighting them. If you're not politically astute and don't know how to avoid being overtly political, it's best to avoid politics altogether on o/c.net, imo.

Highly-Annoyed

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC

I've seen forum directors post political stuff. So, I would just ask one of them. I think a good joke is a good joke, regardless if it's political in nature. It just depends on their mood I guess. I still haven't figured them out.

Unfortunately, forum directors aren't always the best role models and I've seen more than one break TOS on more than one occasion so following their lead with obeying the rules isn't exactly the best rule of thumb.

The "goodness" of the joke is irrelevant. It will inevitably be insulting to someone who disagrees with the punchline of the joke, because I've yet to see a political joke that does not insult at least one political member... whether it be intelligence, moral integrity... whatever.

Highly-Annoyed... you a few good points, but the line is far too fine for a lot of knuckleheads don't realize they've crossed it until they've tripped on it, broken it, fallen into a pit, and had half their face eaten off by the ground gnomes. Okay... maybe graphic... Basically people are stupid/foolish.

In short, no political jokes are acceptable, and darnit I will report every one I see, whether or not it has anything to do with the political party I support and whether it's posted by a mod or not. Some mods really don't like me because of that hahaha.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInformationator

Unfortunately, forum directors aren't always the best role models and I've seen more than one break TOS on more than one occasion so following their lead with obeying the rules isn't exactly the best rule of thumb.

The "goodness" of the joke is irrelevant. It will inevitably be insulting to someone who disagrees with the punchline of the joke, because I've yet to see a political joke that does not insult at least one political member... whether it be intelligence, moral integrity... whatever.

Highly-Annoyed... you a few good points, but the line is far too fine for a lot of knuckleheads don't realize they've crossed it until they've tripped on it, broken it, fallen into a pit, and had half their face eaten off by the ground gnomes. Okay... maybe graphic... Basically people are stupid/foolish.

In short, no political jokes are acceptable, and darnit I will report every one I see, whether or not it has anything to do with the political party I support and whether it's posted by a mod or not. Some mods really don't like me because of that hahaha.

Please PM me regarding this comment.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInformationator

I find that comment above insulting personally. I don't believe that at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts