Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to microcenter yesterday and picked up a Corsair H50 cpu cooler. I used the thermal paste that was already applied to the block and I'm fairly confident that I mounted it correctly.

I've got the radiator mounted in the rear exhaust fan position of my case. I'm exhausting the air from a push/pull setup through the radiator. I still need to get better fans but for now, I've got a high speed yate loon pulling and just a generic 120x25mm fan pushing.

Looking at my picture below, does everything seem normal? The pump speed and my idle/load temps in realtemp? My core voltage is shown in cpuz.
LL

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
I think it's messed up that my stock Intel cooler for my Q9550 is idling at 37-38C, while you're idling at 43-44C.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
The pump is supposed to run around 1400 RPM, so the pump is going at the right speed. Those are temperatures are way too high for a dual core @ 4 GHz.

Those temperatures are fine.

I know the temperatures are safe for my cpu, but shouldn't they be lower with the H50? Or is that normal for the amount of voltage?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Your temps are a bit high. Corsair says pump speed should be at or close to 1400 RPM, mine always turned at like 1410-1430RPM.

Do you have a fan monitor in BIOS?

Try re-applying TIM, the amount Corsair uses is way more than I ever have.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Your temps are a bit high. Pump speed should be at or close to 1400 RPM, mine always turned at like 1410-1430RPM.

Do you have a fan monitor in BIOS?
Yes, I do have a fan monitor in bios. The CPU fan is set to manual mode @ 100%. Should I use a different fan header or maybe even use an adapter and hook the pump to a 4-pin molex from the PSU?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post
Yes, I do have a fan monitor in bios. The CPU fan is set to manual mode @ 100%. Should I use a different fan header or maybe even use an adapter and hook the pump to a 4-pin molex from the PSU?
No, the pump is running as fast as it ever will.

1370 RPM is within 2% error margin of 1400 RPM. Errors in bios tach sensor and differences in the build of the electric motor easily account for this error.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking that my problem might be the fans...specifically the generic, cheapo fan I'm using to push.

Should I get another high speed yate loon to match the one that is in the pull position? Or should I go with different fans all together? Fan noise is not a big deal as long as it isn't just totally ridiculous.

Maybe this small case could be a problem too?

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. Your case has horrible airflow qualities from the look of it and the specs.
led
2. If you're not worried about noise too much, I use 2 Ultra Kaze 3000 fans with a fan controller on my H50 in a push/pull with plenty of other airflow and regularly see slightly above ambient if not ambient temps. Though my OC is nowhere near yours and I have CnQ enabled. But even with my PII X3 720BE at 1.4v I never go above 40c load.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loune View Post
1. Your case has horrible airflow qualities from the look of it and the specs.
led
2. If you're not worried about noise too much, I use 2 Ultra Kaze 3000 fans with a fan controller on my H50 in a push/pull with plenty of other airflow and regularly see slightly above ambient if not ambient temps. Though my OC is nowhere near yours and I have CnQ enabled. But even with my PII X3 720BE at 1.4v I never go above 40c load.
I can't get a different case yet but that will definitely be the next upgrade after fans.

Where is the cheapest place to get the Ultra Kaze 3000's?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Oh wow that case is bad for airflow. Here's how I would modify it to get better temperatures with your H50.

1. Mount the H50 as a rear intake fan in push-pull
2. Configure every other case fan to blow out of the case.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous you could remove the rear fan grill with dremel, and then cover the hole with a fan. IE

Fan | Case | H50 | Fan

·
Registered
404 Posts
those temps are hot,
my e8400 runs at 4G (1.36v) an temp is 32C on idle (room temp is 28C)
also i did use AS5 and i wasnt really carefull on putting very little on it
and yes my case has almost zero airflow so far as i dunno yet how to cable management in my case

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Oh wow that case is bad for airflow. Here's how I would modify it to get better temperatures with your H50.

1. Mount the H50 as a rear intake fan in push-pull
2. Configure every other case fan to blow out of the case.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous you could remove the rear fan grill with dremel, and then cover the hole with a fan. IE

Fan | Case | H50 | Fan
I can't really be cutting on the case as I'll be selling it to help pay for a new one.

So I should get better temps if my push-pull is intake instead of exhaust? Should the high speed Yate Loon be pushing or pulling and should the generic fan push or pull? Will that affect my GPU temps as I'm using the Accelero S1 Rev2 passively?

And the front panel 120mm fan I have as intake should be turned around to exhaust?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post
I can't really be cutting on the case as I'll be selling it to help pay for a new one.

So I should get better temps if my push-pull is intake instead of exhaust? Should the high speed Yate Loon be pushing or pulling and should the generic fan push or pull? Will that affect my GPU temps as I'm using the Accelero S1 Rev2 passively?

And the front panel 120mm fan I have as intake should be turned around to exhaust?
Oh, I didn't see that you had a 120mm intake. In that case, you should things as they are. Just try and make sure that you have roughly the same amount of intake as exhaust.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I would re-apply TIM and see if you get anything different.
Which method should I use for applying AS5 for this H50? Spread it out, a pea-sized drop in the center and let pressure spread it, or a line across the cores and let the pressure spread it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
apply AS5 as it is said in the instruction of AS5 --- meaning a thin line (i guess that the less TIM the better the results)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts