Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will provide a pictures below but: Are my pins bent?!?!

I have no idea how that happened. The only thing I did since I last saw my pins was install a HSF for air-cooling instead of water-cooling.

I never took out the CPU though and never put it in incorrectly. Is it possible I put too much pressure when screwing in the HSF that it bent the CPU pins from the pressure?

frown.gif

Is there anything I can do? I doubt Gigabyte will accept an RMA with bent pins, physical damage.....

Update from later post:
Quote:
I have NO idea how this happened. Here's a bit more info on the story of how this came to be:

I had water-cooling. Everything was great. Then one day Windows froze in firefox browsing websites. I go '***?' as I had never had it freeze; ever. I had 100% stable OC and decent temps.

Restart and freezes while loading Windows.

Restart and go into BIOS. I see 105C !!!! Shut down! Shut down! I have no idea how it got that hot as it was suppposed to shut down via BIOS options if CPU fan died (hooked up pump to that) or CPU hit 80C.... Obviously neither was detected.

I realized my pump was dead. It made nearly no noise so I didn't notice... I take off the watercooling loop, put on the spare Dark Knight HSF I had. Try to boot up; no POST.

I reseat, No POST. Trial and error; If I take out the 8pin plug for CPU, the fans go (no post though) but If I plug in the CPU's power, the fans only spin for a split second then stop immediately. I take off HSF to potentially RMA or look for damage (burns maybe?) and see bent pins. I almost have a heart attack then decide to go to OCN for advice.
2011-04-12150044.jpg

2011-04-12150101.jpg

2011-04-12150120.jpg

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
it does look bent to me o_O,

you got my sympathy

·
Opinion8r
1,129 Posts
confirmed bent.

I have used a straw in the past, like the ones for stirring coffee, but damn those are bent pretty bad.

At least that is the way it looks, multiple directions?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Definitely looks like there is some damage there... did the socket come like that? I don't see how putting the heatsink on could cause that only in that isolated spot

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
interesting thats weird how u only bent like 10 of them in the centerish someone was messing with ur stuff>

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe;13099858
428450.jpg
Seriously? -rep

OCN is looking more and more like 4chan every day...

Anywho, my condolences man. I have no idea how something like that would happen unless someone's been messing with your system.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Get a pair of tweezers and try to bend it back into place, then work the cpu in over it.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe;13099858
428450.jpg
at yourself for being unhelpful....yep.

-reported.
teaching.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan;13099946
Get a pair of tweezers and try to bend it back into place, then work the cpu in over it.
I concur. Tweezers or a needle should do the trick. If the pins are bent you are still in business, but if the pins are broken, then you are screwed.

I had the same problem with my pop's asus 775, I was surprised that there was some bent pins, I just dont know what happened. My best guess would be that I lift the CPU at an angle instead of vertically.

I fixed the bent pins by using a needle, pushing the pins, and everything was all good; it didnt look 100% perfect though.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love OCN. 10 replies in like 12 minutes

Thanks for all your advice.

I have NO idea how this happened. Here's a bit more info on the story of how this came to be:

I had water-cooling. Everything was great. Then one day Windows froze in firefox browsing websites. I go '***?' as I had never had it freeze; ever. I had 100% stable OC and decent temps.

Restart and freezes while loading Windows.

Restart and go into BIOS. I see 105C !!!! Shut down! Shut down! I have no idea how it got that hot as it was suppposed to shut down via BIOS options if CPU fan died (hooked up pump to that) or CPU hit 80C.... Obviously neither was detected.

I realized my pump was dead. It made nearly no noise so I didn't notice... I take off the watercooling loop, put on the spare Dark Knight HSF I had. Try to boot up; no POST.

I reseat, No POST. Trial and error; If I take out the 8pin plug for CPU, the fans go (no post though) but If I plug in the CPU's power, the fans only spin for a split second then stop immediately. I take off HSF to potentially RMA or look for damage (burns maybe?) and see bent pins. I almost have a heart attack then decide to go to OCN for advice.

I have 2 ideas:

1) Try to fix the pins. Try to line up the CPU and hope for the best. CPU might be dead. Pins might be unfixable. It will be hard to determine the cause of the issue.
2) Downgrade my whole rig except CPU. I feel I spent too much for my needs anyways and was considering downgrading. Instead of replacing potentially both CPU + mobo for almost $600, I would get something cheap for $220 or so.
(I mean, Eve Online, WoW and League of Legends/Dota don't exactly need a 4.0ghz i7 with a GTX570)

I'm scared to go back to watercooling after this experience....

Anyways, the guy who posted Nelson with 'Ha-Ha' has been reported. I'm feeling very sad/frustrated as it is ....

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I've used these to fix just this sort of damage, along with a very bright maglite... although that looks pretty deep.

Slanted tip works best.

Link

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
DUDE it says right in the OP that you reseated it, you probably bent them then and when it wasnt posting it was probably like something unplugged but when u reseated it they bent...tough luck try and RMA it, if that doesnt work you can buy a cheap mobo to hold u over.

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
I would say get an i3 with a 5770 or something like that, your not playing very demanding games after all (as youve said already)

im sorry for your loss mate, all the best.

jdcrispe95

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
The pins look more than bent to me. Replace the motherboard. Am sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts