Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering, with my Gigabyte G-Power Pro, i have my cpu overclocked to about 3.56ghz and i wanted to know if 41 degrees celsius is a good temperature for it to be idling at at first. But then i have it on for a while and then it jumps to about 51 degrees celsius. Im kind of new to the overclocking thing and was wondering if anybody could help by any chance? thank you it would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
604 Posts
41C is alright, but the 51C idle isn't so good... Could you take a picture of your case with the side off so we can get an idea of what you're dealing with?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
It looks like your cable management could use some work. Those IDE cables that are running horizontally across your case really inhibit air flow from your front fans (assuming you have front fans). Wire ties, twist ties, and electrical tape are great tools for keeping cables as far out of the path of the air flow as possible. Sometimes it's just not possible to arrange cables as well as you'd like, and in those cases, round cables (IDE, floppy drive) and cable sleeving can help a whole lot.

In general, idle temps don't mean a whole lot, and it's difficult to make a judgement on temperatures without knowing the ambient temp of the room. You'll want to keep your full load temp at or below (preferably 5-10°C or more below) 65°C.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

It looks like your cable management could use some work. Those IDE cables that are running horizontally across your case really inhibit air flow from your front fans (assuming you have front fans). Wire ties, twist ties, and electrical tape are great tools for keeping cables as far out of the path of the air flow as possible. Sometimes it's just not possible to arrange cables as well as you'd like, and in those cases, round cables (IDE, floppy drive) and cable sleeving can help a whole lot.

In general, idle temps don't mean a whole lot, and it's difficult to make a judgement on temperatures without knowing the ambient temp of the room. You'll want to keep your full load temp at or below (preferably 5-10°C or more below) 65°C.

^^ Fixing those cables will really help your temps. 41 idle isn't that bad but like taeric said 65 max but 55-60 is the best.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much everybody..my cables really could use some work...i have five fans in all and i was wondering why my temps werent better than they were ...i guess i didnt think about the flow..thank you!!

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernkid

thank you so much everybody..my cables really could use some work...i have five fans in all and i was wondering why my temps werent better than they were ...i guess i didnt think about the flow..thank you!!

How are your fans setup?? I mean, how are they arranged? do you have equal amount of intake fans as you do exaust fans? But yea, cable management is very important for case airflow.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way now my cpu is running at 41 celsius with about 40 or more processes running (according to everest ultimate 2k6) .it was a lot higher before..but my bios temps are almost the same...but after I streamlined the cords for optimal air flow i noticed the system temp go down 10 degrees celsius!!thank you guys

·
Registered
604 Posts
We're always glad to help. That's why we're here! Well, that and the strippers...

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suthernkid

my fans are all setup exaust should i change anything?

Generally, you want the fans low in the front of the case to be intake and fans in the back at the top (and blowhole fans in the top of the case) to exhaust. Side window fans usually work best when they blow the same direction as the CPU fan, which is most often towards the CPU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts