Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buyng a used Seagate, for keeping my own(my father gave me a "normal" not admin acount) OS (XP PRO ) , games and docs.
Are seagate's HD's good?
Ill backup from time to time ( i really don't have any important information, just saved games ahahah), so i really don't worry about the hd failling , but i dont wanna waste money.
It's IDE also.
thanks !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'm buyng a used Seagate, for keeping my own(my father gave me a "normal" not admin acount) OS (XP PRO ) , games and docs.
Are seagate's HD's good?
Ill backup from time to time ( i really don't have any important information, just saved games ahahah), so i really don't worry about the hd failling , but i dont wanna waste money.
It's IDE also.
thanks !
In my opinion, they are the best all-round HDDs. I have two Seagate SATA HDDs and one IDE HDD currently and have owned Seagate HDDs for a long time. They're not always the cheapest HDDs on the market, but I have found them to be the most reliable and robust and pretty damn quick too
.

Highly-Annoyed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else?
 

·
Goodbye
Joined
·
10,269 Posts
Seagates are definatly the best hard-drives I've used. They're all I've used for years now and I've never had a bad hard drive...ever....
 

·
404 Title Not Found
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Seagates are awesome, me and a friend of mine will never buy anythingelse. We've both have had problems with WD drives, he bought one and two weeks after warranty expired it died, he lost a good 100gb of school work/backups/pictures. I've replaced countless WD drives from name brand computers, but then again they do buy the cheapest so quality may not be all that great on any drive in mass produced computers.

Maxtor is another pretty good drive, I haven't really dealt with anything but the three.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks , I guess ill buy the HD then.
/off topic/
I had a maxtor in my old 486 and it never fuctioned properly, and I have read that they do give alot of problems/dying too much/, so i have not had a good experience with maxtor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
We have had 3 servers in 4 months all suffer from catastrophic data loss due to Maxtor drives.. one of those machines lost 5 out of 12 Maxtors in a RAID 5+0 machine!... I wouldn't touch them with some one elses data.

I use Seagates in all my home builds and swear by them.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
64,324 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Under The Gun

We have had 3 servers in 4 months all suffer from catastrophic data loss due to Maxtor drives.. one of those machines lost 5 out of 12 Maxtors in a RAID 5+0 machine!... I wouldn't touch them with some one elses data.

I use Seagates in all my home builds and swear by them.

Another satisfied customer of Maxtor lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
huh.. weird. Not a single Maxtor HD has ever died on me, and as for Seagate, I've always had issues with them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,104 Posts
Maxtor has the highest heat output and most deaths. Seagate = the best in my opinion. WD is pretty good too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by DataX

huh.. weird. Not a single Maxtor HD has ever died on me, and as for Seagate, I've always had issues with them.

I guess maxtor does 1 good HD out of 100 and Seagate does one bad HD out of 100.
You get the good and bad ones!!!!!!
 

·
Yes
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Agreed. I own a Seagate (Baracudda) and a Western-Digital (Raptor) and I love them both. No issues what-so-ever. I've been using these brands for quiet some time. I made a mistake of switch to Maxtor and I would never touch the brand again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Seagate does own Maxtor now, the overtake was a little while ago. Anyhoo, I like Seagates as well. As for issues...I've had issues from every popular manufacturer of HDDs. I seem to have the most issue with Western Digital, but only ever so slightly. All I can suggest is finding the manufacturer that provides the best warranty at the moment. Most of them have similar warranties, I happen to like Seagates.

Xaine99
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
My brand new Seagate just died on me. "The worlds most reliabe" 320 GB SATA 2 with perpendicular recording. It starting making a slight whirring noise, and before I could even narrow down what the noise was I got a BSOD. But, I have had a lot of Seagates, and this os the first problem. I believe no matter what brand there are always going to be some problems. The upside to this is, I already ordered a new one, didn't want to wait for the RMA drive. So now..... RAID!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jjk454ss

My brand new Seagate just died on me. "The worlds most reliabe" 320 GB SATA 2 with perpendicular recording. It starting making a slight whirring noise, and before I could even narrow down what the noise was I got a BSOD. But, I have had a lot of Seagates, and this os the first problem.

I think [email protected] put it well when he said:
Quote:


Originally Posted by [email protected]

I guess maxtor does 1 good HD out of 100 and Seagate does one bad HD out of 100.

Probably not accurate in terms of the actual figures, but a good take things anyway
.

Highly-Annoyed
 

·
 
Joined
·
29,532 Posts
Yeah, Seagate is nice, but they're a bit on the expensive side. Hitachi and WD are probably the ones I would go for; Hitachi for reliability, and WD for performance (Though they're very reliable too.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
I've had a Maxtor die on me, it bad sectors for a while then did'nt startup, i worked out it was the drive weeks before so i did'nt loose any data just a paperweight/HDD.

I was running a 20Gig Fujitsu for years (5-6+ years?) then one day that quit, still lucky it was being switched between machines so still no loss of data
(lucky) I have a 8Gig Fujitsu in the wifes rig and thats going strong still, now if that broke im stuffed


At the moment im running the HDD in my specs, very quiet and quick. I did'nt think it was to expensive at only £30 either, i may get another one day for RAID
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top