Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I know its another "DX10 card or not" question but here goes.

I'm gonna be upgrading my stuff when intel drops their prices this month (cpu, motherboard, ram) And i don't know what to do about my gfx cards.
At the moment I have SLI'd 7800GTX 512mb's and can run most games in highest settings @1280x1024. I want to know if these will be enough until nvidia release their next gen cards (9800GTX or whatever they are called)? Ie... will they be able to handle the likes of Crysis etc?
I will be going from an fX60 and 1gb DDR1, to Q6600/E6850 and 4gb DDR2. So would i see a noticable performance increase without changing my gfx cards?

Also would there be a big difference going from SLI'd 7800GTX 512mb's to a Single 8800GTS 640mb?

Sorry for another similar post, and thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv
View Post

Right, I know its another "DX10 card or not" question but here goes.

I'm gonna be upgrading my stuff when intel drops their prices this month (cpu, motherboard, ram) And i don't know what to do about my gfx cards.
At the moment I have SLI'd 7800GTX 512mb's and can run most games in highest settings @1280x1024. I want to know if these will be enough until nvidia release their next gen cards (9800GTX or whatever they are called)? Ie... will they be able to handle the likes of Crysis etc?
I will be gonig from an fX60 and 1gb DDR1, to Q6600/E6850 and 4gb DDR2. So would i see a noticable performance increase without changing my gfx cards?

Also would there be a big difference going from SLI'd 7800GTX 512mb's to a Single 8800GTS 640mb?

Sorry for another similar post, and thanks.


I'm pretty sure even my 8800GTS320 will blow the 7800GTS 512 SLI out of the water, maybe not hat extreme, but I'm almost positive its a good bit faster.

I doubt 7800GTX SLI will be able to play crysis on max settings

Edit....My friend has the same system I do, except he has 2GB DDR1 and a 4200+ 939. I get 11k+ 3dmark06, and he gets 71xx with the same video card. You should see a decent jump in performance by going Intel ATM

I'd wait myself. I beleive I heard a rumor that 9800GTX will be up to 3x as powerful as an 8800GTX
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,339 Posts
I'd have to see benches to believe that. I had a pair of 7900gtx in sli that was only slightly behind a single 8800gtx in benches.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
i have a friend with 2 7800GTXs in SLI and the thing is a madman. i think you guys are underestimating it. paired with his AMD X2, he runs all his games at max settings, including games like FEAR and STALKER. it's nothing to sneeze at.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,269 Posts
While the 8800GTS 320MB if faster I would definately keep your 7800GTX. I have an 7900GTX and it is plenty. I would wait and pick up a 9900GTX or Ultra. The difference will be much bigger, and you'll have more money by then. The minimum requirements for Crysis is that you must have a 7900GT or better. And, your 7800GTX SLi is definately better than a single 7900GT.

Robliar: Do you know anybody selling a 7900GTX?


NiNja
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Robilar
View Post

I'd have to see benches to believe that. I had a pair of 7900gtx in sli that was only slightly behind a single 8800gtx in benches.

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/pr...5&3dm06=755075

Thats the best example I could find.

7900GTX SLI with a C2D withing 25mhz of mine.

Bear in mind the 7900GTX is a good bit ahead of the 7800GTX

EDIT***in case the link doesn't work right, I got 11,303, he got 11,053
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,339 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ninja_Boy
View Post

While the 8800GTS 320MB if faster I would definately keep your 7800GTX. I have an 7900GTX and it is plenty. I would wait and pick up a 9900GTX or Ultra. The difference will be much bigger, and you'll have more money by then. The minimum requirements for Crysis is that you must have a 7900GT or better. And, your 7800GTX SLi is definately better than a single 7900GT.

Robliar: Do you know anybody selling a 7900GTX?


NiNja

Now you ask... geez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by MrBungle
View Post

i have a friend with 2 7800GTXs in SLI and the thing is a madman. i think you guys are underestimating it. paired with his AMD X2, he runs all his games at max settings, including games like FEAR and STALKER. it's nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks for the info people. I too can run STALKER and FEAR etc on max and its very sweet
, but i'm just worried about upcoming games such as Crysis etc. And was wondering if the change from FX60 and DDR to E6850 and DDR2 would be enough to keep me at mid to high settings?

Thanks for all your quick responses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv
View Post

Thanks for the info mate. I too can run STALKER and FEAR etc on max and its very sweet
, but i'm just worried about upcoming games such as Crysis etc. And was wondering if the change from FX60 and DDR to E6850 and DDR2 would be enough to keep me at mid to high settings?

Thanks for all your quick responses.

C2D will definitely hold you over until Christmas, then get a 9800GTX
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
don't buy into the marketing hype
if you buy Crysis and can't play it at the settings you like, then consider a video upgrade. seems silly to get rid of such a powerful setup because you think you might need to upgrade in a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Intervention
View Post

C2D will definitely hold you over until Christmas, then get a 9800GTX


Thats what i wanted to hear


Quote:


don't buy into the marketing hype
if you buy Crysis and can't play it at the settings you like, then consider a video upgrade. seems silly to get rid of such a powerful setup because you think you might need to upgrade in a few months.

Sound advice too. Its just that I have been holding off upgrading for so long, I'm starting to get very tempted...
mmmm SLI 8800Ultras


Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
I would sit on them. What EXACTLY, are you having trouble running, and at what resolution?

Yeah, I thought so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,444 Posts
yes, that is enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ninja_Boy
View Post

While the 8800GTS 320MB if faster I would definately keep your 7800GTX. I have an 7900GTX and it is plenty. I would wait and pick up a 9900GTX or Ultra. The difference will be much bigger, and you'll have more money by then. The minimum requirements for Crysis is that you must have a 7900GT or better. And, your 7800GTX SLi is definately better than a single 7900GT.

Robliar: Do you know anybody selling a 7900GTX?


NiNja

pm clockthis he might have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
I don't think those cards will have a problem playing Crysis at 1280x1024 at high settings. Honestly I would invest in a larger and higher resolution monitor if I were you.
 

·
Power Squid
Joined
·
9,609 Posts
When I first went from a single 7950GX2 to a single 8800GTS 640MB, I idnd't notice any real performance increase when running games. At least not at 1280x1024 resolution.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top