Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you guys don't know a lot but what are these CPUs going to be like? Are they going to crush the i7s or will they be a new set of reasonably priced, well-performing CPUs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
AMD is always reasonably priced
 

·
I.T. Specialist III
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
Their version of 'hyper threading' like tech and use of cache is looking very inspiring, I am planning on a 6 core AM3 bulldozer myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueOptic View Post
I know that you guys don't know a lot but what are these CPUs going to be like? Are they going to crush the i7s or will they be a new set of reasonably priced, well-performing CPUs?
Will they crush i7? hell no
will they be cheap? with all of what amd makes.. im sure they will be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xMEATWADx95x View Post
well what do u want? relative i7 preformence at decent price? or do u want it to absoluly destroy the i7? i dont think u will get both
i think we will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Should beat i7 4 cores and 6 cores in single-thread performance (courtesy of high turbo), while beating i7 4 core and probably equaling 6 core in multithreaded benchmarks. That's the direction I would have expected to see AMD take, but I could be wrong.

I'm not expecting it to beat 2011 socket Sandy Bridges though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amstech View Post
Their version of 'hyper threading' like tech and use of cache is looking very inspiring, I am planning on a 6 core AM3 bulldozer myself.
I don't think you've read a lot. The Phenom II x6 is 6-core, the bulldozer is new architecture featuring 8 cores and may or may not be compatible with AM3 socket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
I dont think they will be. Look at the 1090, its $300!!!

I think theyll be higher than the Phenom II line but a little lower than the i7's were a while back. Thats a total guess on my part though but I dont expect $125 Bulldozers, probably more like $225 for the entry level proc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
I also noticed the diversion from price being a key feature when AMD's 1090 reatiled for $300.00, and it can't even run -bigadv without class warfare.

For performance there is nothing like the folding programs put out by Stanford that demand top notch performance to excell,and at this time Intel wins that application hands down. What other application do we use in a daily sense that demands more from a cpu than folding? I am pretty sure there is one,I just don't know what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
Will they crush i7? hell no
will they be cheap? with all of what amd makes.. im sure they will be.
You know this how? I would love to see the benchmark where you got this information.

Also it will be priced low if it doesn't beat the i7. If it does then it will be priced high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an 8-core Bulldozer chip isn't really 8 cores, since it's hypo-threaded (not to be confused with hyperthreaded), leaving you with 4 threads.

It will definitely beat the i7 in single threaded performance and multi-tasking. But the i7s will still kill it in multithreaded apps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
Will they crush i7? hell no
will they be cheap? with all of what amd makes.. im sure they will be.
says the fanboy
look it even say "fanboy" in your sig rig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
i think we will.
Would be quite awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an 8-core Bulldozer chip isn't really 8 cores, since it's hypo-threaded (not to be confused with hyperthreaded), leaving you with 4 threads.

It will definitely beat the i7 in single threaded performance and multi-tasking. But the i7s will still kill it in multithreaded apps.
I have heard this as well, its unlikely that it will stomp i7 in all ways, but at least in the single threading the bulldozer will be phenominal, no pun intended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius View Post
says the fanboy
look it even say "fanboy" in your sig rig
lol. people are funny.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
Will they crush i7? hell no
will they be cheap? with all of what amd makes.. im sure they will be.
prove it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an 8-core Bulldozer chip isn't really 8 cores, since it's hypo-threaded (not to be confused with hyperthreaded), leaving you with 4 threads.

It will definitely beat the i7 in single threaded performance and multi-tasking. But the i7s will still kill it in multithreaded apps.
What the? Can you link me to this info? I was happy there was going to be an 8-core cpu, but now you say it is going to be quad core?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,253 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdve View Post
What the? Can you link me to this info? I was happy there was going to be an 8-core cpu, but now you say it is going to be quad core?
Ignore him.

Ppl need to go read the information that is out there regarding the Bulldozer design as it is quite different to what AMD and Intel have released to date and there is a lot of confusion about it's architecture.

A "Bulldozer" CPU (ie. Zambezi) will use "Bulldozer modules", and each "Bulldozer module" includes 2 integer cores. So a quad "Bulldozer module" Zambezi, will actually have 8 integer cores, and a 8 "Bulldozer module" Zambezi will have 16 integer cores.

So yes, a 4 module, 8 core, Zambezi, will have 8 "cores".
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top