Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to the community

I have two older motherboards, the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo and the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R and I intend to use them for building two PCs, both with Xeon X5492 CPUs.

Both motherboards utilize SATA II ports (3.0 GB/s), but in my hands are two modern SATA III (6.0 GB/s) SSDs, the Western Digital WDS250G1B0A, 250GB units.

I wonder if there is a benefit in using these SSDs on those motherboards, especially in terms of read-write speed, over older SATA II SSDs. And speaking about speed, I mean in the real world.

Both PCs are going to be equipped with relatively modern hardware and peripherals (8GB DDR2 1066 MHz RAM for the Asus and 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM for the Gigabyte, modern GPUs etc.). Both are going to be used for video editing, but no gaming. So would I see any difference in use between these two different types of SSDs?

If yes, would the use of a newer PCI-E SATA III controller be a better solution?

Thanks.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,921 Posts
No, you'll be limited to the SATA II bandwidth using a SATA II connection. Even so, it won't be a big problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

No, you'll be limited to the SATA II bandwidth using a SATA II connection. Even so, it won't be a big problem.
Thank you so much, mate! I was suspecting it, anyway.

However, I am still thinking if there would be optimal to use a PCI-E SATA III controller card, as I asked in my first post.
How about this thought?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMelas View Post

Thank you so much, mate! I was suspecting it, anyway.

However, I am still thinking if there would be optimal to use a PCI-E SATA III controller card, as I asked in my first post.
How about this thought?
I have no idea. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I think those cards are more for when you need more SATA ports, but this is really just a guess.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Check if you motherboard can successfully boot from a external pci-e card and see if you can find a used one sata iii with Intel chipset. The cheap ones perform horrible
redface.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

Check if you motherboard can successfully boot from a external pci-e card and see if you can find a used one sata iii with Intel chipset. The cheap ones perform horrible
redface.gif
thumb.gif

Thanks, for the information, mate! It's very useful to me and I am going to follow your advice.
cheers.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts