Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found any decent reviews on them...

They're $5 each on amazon now, which is a pretty killer deal even if it's just an ok fan with ballbearings and PWM...

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
I wasn't even aware they existed. At $5, I would definitely give them a try.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Only thing that concerns me is that the 4 pin cable looks short. Probably targeting radiators and air coolers more so than cases.

·
Avid Something-or-Other
155 Posts
Thanks for pointing this sale out; definitely will be picking some up! I want to compare these to my Bitfenix Spectre Pros as they both seem to target a balanced p/q profile @ high speeds and have similar design traits from what I can see. I am most interested in how that double ball bearing for the EVGA fans compares to the rifle bearing of Spectres noise wise.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
They are NOT ball bearing fans. They are just another overprice POS sleeve bearing design.
You make it sound like it's ball bearing vs no good. Reality is most fans are a onr variant or another of sleeve bearings. Some are very good while some are not. The same applies to ball bearings, some are good and some are not.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You make it sound like it's ball bearing vs no good. Reality is most fans are a onr variant or another of sleeve bearings. Some are very good while some are not. The same applies to ball bearings, some are good and some are not.
Agreed - the type of bearing doesn't necessarily guarantee quality. Some ball bearings are so poor that they sound like cement mixers and have shorter effective service lives than a well designed sleeve model. Some sleeve bearing variants (FDB and HDB) have extremely long service lives and are excellent fans.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just got three of four installed, fourth on the way. And I have to say, I like the sound that these make far better what I had, three chepo Rosewill's and the single Noctua NF-A14 while I shopped for fans. That Noctua was getting on my nerves.

No frills, they don't come with anything of note(a molex adapter, some screws and some anti vibration sticky pads. But for five bucks each I can't complain.

Did I mention 5 dollars a piece? There can't be a better deal out there right now.

The tape holding the power cable to the frame was loose on one and made a terrible noise, EVGA can definitely do better here. I saw a review where the reviewer was twisting the fan frame back and forth, eh so what once screwed down not a problem.

I know this isn't very scientific, but I can now feel some real air moving through the back side of my rad, with the Noctua not so much.

For less than the price of one Noctua fan. I now have four, that so far sound better, are definitely pushing more air and dont look like baby waste.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
They are NOT ball bearing fans. They are just another overprice POS sleeve bearing design.

In your first image there is a metal keeper about 3 times bigger in diameter than the shaft hole. Is it possible that metal keeper is holding the ball bearing in place?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not the keeper, that is the bushing.

The center part doesn't rotate. It is all one big bushing.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
That's not the keeper, that is the bushing.

The center part doesn't rotate. It is all one big bushing.
Could you possible post a pic with that big bushing removed?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a plastic bushing...
Green stuff was glue holding it in

I'm not really sure how they expect these to last the 3 year warranty period.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bushing is 100% plastic. It's a higher carbon plastic similar to what some of my RCs use, but still plastic.

I don't think I will be buying anything evga for a while...

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
@ whitrzac
Thanks! :thumb:
Rather strange design for fan bearing.

As or bearing life and 3-year warranty, warranty is more like an insurance policy and only as good company backing it up. First off how many peeps even bother to file for replacement under warranty if product is more than maybe a year old. If I had a nickel for every CLC with 5 year warranty that failed after maybe 2 but for sure 3 years or older with 5 year warranty that owners didn't bother to get replaced I would have a tidy sum of money. :p

Warranty is like mail in rebates .. most owners / buyers never bother to fill out the forms to use them / collect their replacement / get their money back.

·
Avid Something-or-Other
155 Posts
Yeah, I disassembled one of my 140mm FX fans I just got and found the same thing although I never removed the plastic bushing; just probed it with a screwdriver to see if it had a cap or was solid. I am considering sending an email to EVGA about the bearing photo in their marketing material and asking if it is just a stock image to advertise their "Teflon-steel" bearing. I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing term just refers to a thin Teflon coating instead of lubricating oil applied to the (presumably) steel shaft inside an ordinary sleeve bearing.

As an aside, that $5 per fan deal is pretty awesome and totally worth considering. IMO, these FX fans are almost like cheaper built Bitfenix Spectre Pros from my unscientific sound and temp testing. Kinda high pitched and a bit of grinding if you listen carefully, but solid airflow with decent static pressure; if only for the RPM it can reach. I guess time will tell how good these bushings really are.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts