Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4870 idles at about 60C with fan at 50%, and under load with fans at 100% it gets to 80-82C. My ambient temp is a little hotter then 22C

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
it is absolutely running hot... My 4870x2 idles @ 31C @ 22C ambient with 40% fan speed

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've heard those particular cards run hot. While it is not ideal, it won't destroy your card. However, I would suggest possibly looking into an aftermarket cooler if you don't feel comfortable with those temperatures. 80C isn't deadly, but it's getting up there...
Also, check your wiring and make sure nothing is in the way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Not normal

• Ambient is hotter than you think
  • Bad airflow
  • Fan is clogged

The card is about a month old, so it's not the fan being clogged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, quite sure. Can hear it pretty well too!

Just checked and at full load, the difference between 80% and 100% fan is 800rpm, but only makes a difference of about 3-4 degrees

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Far cry 2 is the most intensive game I play, I'm running that with gpu-z in the background, wandering around and whatnot.

My biggest worry is probably airflow, I have the stock two fans with my case, both take air out.

Cable management is ok, though the cable that gives power to my mobo is short and has to go over the heat pipes of my card to reach. (PSU on bottom, mobo power at top)

That being said, my cpu temps are fine, idle at 40C and under load at 54C with stock cooler, so I'm not so sure the problem is airflow here :/

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll jump in.

Try reseating the cooler with a fresh set of quality thermal paste like Arctic Cooling MX-2. Just did my 4870x2 today, dropped me about 10-15C but I wasn't as high as you to begin with. The reference coolers are more than adequate to cool the card when they are seated correctly and you are running a customized fan profile. Download RivaTuner if you don't already have it and follow the guide here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345181

I also suggest you underclock the card further than the factory set it to for putzing around in windows, I have mine set to 400core/300mem for Windows although if you set it too low some cards don't like it, I heard alot of people can't lower the core under the factory 500 for 2d mode, it is hit and miss. This can be done with RivaTuner as well or you can just make a custom Ati Overdrive profile and set the core speed leaving the fan to automatic, and let RivaTuner take care of the fan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Whatare you loading the card with?
Please don't say furmark.
How is your cable management/airflow, will the temps drop substantially with the side panel off?

And what is wrong with Furmark?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts