Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A 240mm is aluminum and B 360mm is copper

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a bunch of random watercooling parts on craigslist to get my custom loop started and learn how it all works. Two radiators were included and I am not sure how to tell if they are copper. Maybe this is a noob question and it is obvious to an experienced person? It looks like the inside of the threads are a bronze color but the fins are a silver color on both.

Rad A: 120mm x 240mm x about 60mm. EK logo on it but I cannot find one like this on EK's site.

Rad B: 120mm x 360mm x about 30mm. No branding.

Thanks!

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
The EK for sure is copper + brass and the second one looks like a Magicool that is also made of brass and copper. "Value" copper radiators uses only this material on the fins tubes and the rest is brass and alu, "high end" usually uses copper on the tubes and fins and the chambers are made of brass.
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: andydabeast

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

The EK for sure is copper + brass and the second one looks like a Magicool that is also made of brass and copper. "Value" copper radiators uses only this material on the fins and the rest is brass, "high end" usually uses copper on the tubes and fins and the chambers are made of brass.
thumb.gif
Great! so why do the inside of the fins appear a silver-ish color? do they treat the copper somehow? Or is that still the brass part?

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

Great! so why do the inside of the fins appear a silver-ish color? do they treat the copper somehow? Or is that still the brass part?
That silver thing inside is tin from the solder. Since they are used radiator before assemble your loop, flush them several times with water + vinegar (25%) and once you see that the water come out clean, flush the radiators a couple of times only with water.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

That silver thing inside is tin from the solder. Since they are used radiator before assemble your loop, flush them several times with water + vinegar (25%) and once you see that the water come out clean, flush the radiators a couple of times only with water.
Thanks for the explanation. I was planning to flush them but had not decided between vinegar or hot water. People seem to say both with confidence. Maybe I'll boil water then add vinegar and flush :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most budget radiator for pc in market use pipe copper, aluminium fin and brass radiator tank.

thermal conductivity copper > aluminium > brass (400, 200, 160 w/mk)
chemical reaction brass < copper < aluminium

Best cooling performance radiator it all copper but really expensive if compared performance/price about pipe copper and fin aluminium, brass it stronger than copper and aluminium so company will choose for radiator tank to reduce oxidation from coolant

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I flushed with vinegar and tap water then with just distilled water. When I took off the fittings that came on the pump there was pink residue in the threads. Should this worry me about the internals of the pump? Maybe have the pump run with distilled water and nothing else to not get that into the rads? It is an EK pump.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

I flushed with vinegar and tap water then with just distilled water. When I took off the fittings that came on the pump there was pink residue in the threads. Should this worry me about the internals of the pump? Maybe have the pump run with distilled water and nothing else to not get that into the rads? It is an EK pump.
Take apart the pump and clean it. Run the system for a couple of hours with only destilled water, you will notice that water will change his color due the residual colorant stick on the components. Change the water until come clean. Then add biocide or use a good coolant.
Residual colorant Is pretty hard to remove sometimes

EDIT: The waterblock is also used ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts