Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my i7 920 OC'd to 3.65GHz on 1.23125vcore. The vcore itself seems a little high for only 3.65. Coretemp and speed fan are reading 75 degrees celsius with prime95 running for about half an hour now. I have the Xigmatek Dark Knight HSF and a Lian Li PC-6070b case. I've tried lowering the vcore and using different bclk multipliers but to no avail.

·
Registered
295 Posts
thats not bad, but not where most like them if it where me i would like them down around mid 60's. how is the airflow in the lian li?

what TIM did you use and how was it applied??????

·
Registered
295 Posts
that case you have is not made for cooling its made for silent running. I would imagine that is part of the problem, it has nil for vents. that may be your problem. short of going under water, buying a new case, or modding your current case im not sure what you can do there.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the stock 120mm xigmatek fan on the cpu cooler, 2 80mm front intake fans, 1 80mm intake on bottom (to cool gpu), and 1 80mm vantec tornado fan for rear exhaust.

·
Registered
295 Posts
push pull set up might help for 3-5 degrees...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking of modding my case but I guess I'll just buy a new case. I have my eye on the Lian Li dragon lord series, but it might be a while before I can save up for it (spring quarter is about to start). I have it 174x21 (turbo, speedstep, c1e, HT, virtualization are all on).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thanks guys, I'll look into a new case. This is my beloved old case but I guess i7 cores run a bit too hot for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
np, in the mean time running the computer with the side off might help a little bit if you want to keep the clocks...just be careful doing so

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah running it with the side off cools it by 3 degrees. I'll just run it at stock for now until I get another case. Just to throw it out there, would anyone like to buy my Lian Li PC-6070B? It's a pretty good mid-tower for silent builds

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why not mod the case? It can probably be done without sacrificing much silence. Adding a Kama Bay (with an upgraded 120x120x25mm fan) adding a top venting fan, and possibly an intake fan on the bottom of the case would probably provide enough ventilation without breaking the bank.

Also I've found a rough lapping job on these heatsinks helps to reduce some of the machining grooves for a little better contact. Just make sure you don't take too much metal off since the walls of the heatpipes are fairly thin on the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts