Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a lot of pople at the U seem to be playing Arma, and I just wanted to know if the 20~30 dollars was worth it. (Ive Heard a ton about day-z!!)

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
It's alright on it's own, but mostly worth it for DayZ. It's up to you if it's worth getting with the standalone version of DayZ probably coming out in a few months.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I got it. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't find weapons or food. I run around until some zombies find me and chase me down. That's all I have been able to do. Not worth it to me and I got it for $19.99. Just my two cents. Obviously some people enjoy it. Good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchon View Post

I got it. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't find weapons or food. I run around until some zombies find me and chase me down. That's all I have been able to do. Not worth it to me and I got it for $19.99. Just my two cents. Obviously some people enjoy it. Good luck on what ever you decide.
There's a small learning curve to get from finding nothing to being able to get items and basic gear very quick. Loot maps probably help the most, like www.dayzdb.com/map. If you get to a supermarket you're pretty much set for basic gear.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't really care for Dayz at all, but ARMA 2 is great. I've never played a better military shooter. Once you find a good group of people to play with there is nothing like it.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
True dat. IMO, graphics aren't as great as Battlefield 3 and neither is the engine with Frostbite 2 being pretty cool in Battlefield, but realistically wise, VOIP, controlling helicopters, loading magazines, etc. is much more realistic and probably more fun with the added hardness.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
It's alright on it's own, but mostly worth it for DayZ
LMAO! I'm glad you're not going this route OP, Daisy is just child-infested Zombie deathmatch. The standalone game will be much better, but regardless that's such a horrible statement. Daisy is even buggier than ArmA 2, and um, some people want a squad simulator and not zombie deathmatch? Anyway, ArmA 3 is scheduled for later this year (Q3 I think) so if you want to wait, it's not a bad idea. If you do get ArmA 2, get Combined Ops, Play withSIX, and ACE 2. All of this in a private, organized coop match with good custom missions is one of the best gaming experiences one can have.

Keep in mind that ArmA doesn't excel with default content; the coop scenarios are cool, much longer than BF3/CoD's little 10 minute coop missions. The campaign is nothing special but can be fun, but mods/custom missions really bring the most out of ArmA 2. Get to know the mission editor, it's very innovative and has become quite a legend over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfortehfun View Post

True dat. IMO, graphics aren't as great as Battlefield 3
Graphics don't matter much for this type of game, especially when there's not a huge difference between them. Regardless, ArmA 2's graphics exceed BF3 in a number of ways, specifically polygon count, texture quality, and view distance. However it's time of day settings could use improving, and there are still some graphics bugs left in the engine. This and optimization are what ArmA 3 seemed to be focused on; they scrapped the best features, namely the fully functional 3D editor, ability to put on enemy uniforms to go undercover, and they said there has been "no progress" on the desperately-needed AI improvements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts