Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get the Armor with side fan for $199 or the Kandalf that comes with water cooling (3 x 120 rad) for $279?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
don't bother with TT's WC systems, i'm pretty sure they are crap. get the armor.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrado
View Post

don't bother with TT's WC systems, i'm pretty sure they are crap. get the armor.

I have a tidewater and love it, and $80 more for watercooling sounds like a good price. If I got new air cooling it would be close to $80.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Armor + 25cm fan. With a lapped Big Typhoon and a Thermaltake Thunderblade, I load at 38C with 1.5 vCore.

• Rep+
Reactions: Mootsfox

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

It's not on newegg

280 at ZZF.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687
View Post

Armor +25CM + Custom WC (if you really want WC)

= $150+35+200(cheap custom) is about $400

• Rep+
Reactions: Mootsfox

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804
View Post

= $150+35+200(cheap custom) is about $400

Snerp has a WC kit plan for $150

$170 + $150 = 320.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Should I get the Armor with side fan for $199 or the Kandalf that comes with water cooling (3 x 120 rad) for $279?

i have the armor with the 25cm side panel fan; running a fairly respectable overclock on a core 2 and the cpu and motherboard temps are lower with the side panel on than they are with it off.

:)

considering the relative gains or diminishes ... i couldn't justify moving to water over what i have now on air. just wouldn't be worth it.

currently, i have a core 2 duo 6400 at 1.4ghz over it's stock speed. on air.

the armor is a seriously good case ... as long as you don't mind a bit of dust (the *whole* thing is ventilated ... perforated drive bay bezels and what not.

also, you should be able to find the armor case for less than 199 if you look around and are willing to mail order. i paid about 170 from directron.com.

they have it listed for around 160.00 at the moment:

http://www.directron.com/va8003bws.html

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
ya, its 170 at the egg

*offtopic* your sig is longer than 8 lines. you might want to change that.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leojharris
View Post

i have the armor with the 25cm side panel fan; running a fairly respectable overclock on a core 2 and the cpu and motherboard temps are lower with the side panel on than they are with it off.

considering the relative gains or diminishes ... i couldn't justify moving to water over what i have now on air. just wouldn't be worth it.

currently, i have a core 2 duo 6400 at 1.4ghz over it's stock speed. on air.

the armor is a seriously good case ... as long as you don't mind a bit of dust (the *whole* thing is ventilated ... perforated drive bay bezels and what not.

also, you should be able to find the armor case for less than 199 if you look around and are willing to mail order. i paid about 170 from directron.com.

they have it listed for around 160.00 at the moment:

http://www.directron.com/va8003bws.html

I think I'll go with the Armor then. My room is like uber dusty
I put the $199 price as buying in store...off of newegg it would be $169.99 plus $15.99 for "3 day" (I would have to order it after my paycheck on tuesday, so it would not come till the next monday). Second day air is $75 and thats a no-no. So instore would be $15 more, but I would get to play with it a week earlier, which is worth it IMO
(reps all around for quickness)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I put the $199 price as buying in store...off of newegg it would be $169.99 plus $15.99 for "3 day" (I would have to order it after my paycheck on tuesday, so it would not come till the next monday). Second day air is $75 and thats a no-no. So instore would be $15 more, but I would get to play with it a week earlier, which is worth it IMO

yeah, i look for stuff on newegg, then try and find it at Frys so i don't have to pay shipping.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i just happen to live 1/4 mile from the directron warehouse, in houston ... and so i can get some good deals with no shipping ...

[gloating ...]

good case, though ... i can't believe the temp improvements over other cases.

seriously ... i've had my motherboard and everything sitting on a table top and the temps were the same as when installed in the armor case.

ps ... i'm going to <GASP!> attempt to cut my sig down to less than <HEMORRHAGE!> 8 lines. will edit soon. thanks for the word, cgrado. the grief/loss backlash could be severe though and so could be a bit in the coming ...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
lol. i've been to directron once here in houston. they helped me (well, i went against their advice..) but good customer service.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Quote:

View Post

yeah, i look for stuff on newegg, then try and find it at Frys so i don't have to pay shipping.

and you would be smart to do so, living in sugar land ... just a stones throw from the fry's at murphy road.

i'm in there just about every weekend. pretty good coffee for a computer store.

WHOO!

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Quote:

View Post

lol. i've been to directron once here in houston. they helped me (well, i went against their advice..) but good customer service.

if you live in the area, and you order online but pick up at the warehouse ... they usually hook you up with a 5 to 10% (semi-undersood) discount.

i buy stuff there all the time.

right now they've got an in store junk heap sale going ... found some good 120m fans there recently for about 5 bucks each. global win 80+ cfm fans and what not.

cool shop, but i hate the 15% re stocking fee.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
too bad i have football practice... *sigh* without sports, i could get so much more done in life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts