Overclock.net banner

Armoury Mini PC for home theater

631 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Robilar
I had a dedicated media PC (complete with multiple hard drives) for my home media center collection of movies.

Downsized as a result of moving and bought a PCI-3.0 hard drive caddy for my 4 mechanical drives. Currently I hook it up to my laptop and and TV and run movies off the caddy drive. Works fine but ties up my laptop.

I was looking at the Armoury Mini PC's (i3 CPU 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD and intel graphics) and given their small footprint would work in my TV setup. Are they powerful enough to run movies off my external drive without any loss of quality?

It would be a lot simpler to have one of these permanently plugged into the external storage bay and my TV.

Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,828 Posts
This one has two Ethernet ports (2.5 and 1) a d room for two SATA drives. It's on my wish list for a plex server and probably a NAS as well.

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. I don't actually need a unit with space for internal drives as I have a 4 bay USB caddy with all my drives. I just need something robust enough to run video content on the drives via USB.

It does look like it has decent specs though and cheaper than the one I was looking at. All I will really be running is VLC player fed through the USB port to the caddy.

• Rep+
Reactions: StAndrew

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks for the link. I don't actually need a unit with space for internal drives as I have a 4 bay USB caddy with all my drives. I just need something robust enough to run video content on the drives via USB.

It does look like it has decent specs though and cheaper than the one I was looking at. All I will really be running is VLC player fed through the USB port to the caddy.
It has very good specs and will be way over powered for what you need. I don't need the internal drives either but it's a very nice expansion option give most mini PCs only have one SATA :)

• Rep+
Reactions: Robilar

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap, can't actually order that one, its only Amazon US. Will have to find something similar on Canadian site

What do you think of this one?

Intel CPU, Iris Pro graphics. roughly the same price

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Crap, can't actually order that one, its only Amazon US. Will have to find something similar on Canadian site

What do you think of this one?

Intel CPU, Iris Pro graphics. roughly the same price
Its an older CPU but still plenty for what you need!

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the advice. Picked up this unit, set it up. Works great. Running a 33 GB movie off the external drive to my 4k Sony TV and Bose 900 sound bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts