Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Microsoft's Bing has passed Yahoo to become the number two search engine in the US, according to the latest data from The Nielsen Company. In August, Bing grew from 13.6 percent to 13.9 percent of the US search market while Yahoo shrunk from 14.3 percent to 13.1 percent. Meanwhile, Google's share was up from 64.2 percent in July to 65.0 percent. Combined, Bing and Yahoo had a search share of 27.0 percent, still less than half of Google's.
Source

Yes, it's partially due to Yahoo partially being powered by Bing. Also, while Bing has been on a constant upward trend, Google has been on a downward trend. The difference is still huge but it looks like Yahoo/Bing is eating into Google's searches a little bit.

There's a graph and more explanation of this at the source.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Let me guess, the latest update to IE makes it the default search engine?

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Good, Google really have turned backwards...It was all good and then instead of keeping with the KISS attitude that made their search engine popular in the first place, they go and add all this java stuff...Eugh.

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Correct.
And has been like that since Bing was introduced.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Google. No ads, good results. I don't care about anything else.

I got my anti-Yahoo attitude 8 (?) years ago 9 years ago! I know it was 9 because... Ok I'll stop using Carlin quotes, anyhow, 'twas cluttered with ads and things that looked like somekind of malware/spyware, to a 10 year old.

Bing was OK, but by then, Google & me, Palz 4 L!FE Yo!

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Good, Google really have turned backwards...It was all good and then instead of keeping with the KISS attitude that made their search engine popular in the first place, they go and add all this javascript stuff...Eugh.
Fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I really think that the Bing cashback really help promoted Bing search.
I still use Google most of the time and Bing sometimes.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
People use Yahoo for searches? Is it 1999 again?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing I have used Yahoo for in the past 10 years is junk e-mail addys and free fantasy football.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
Correct.
And has been like that since Bing was introduced.
and before that it used to pick google.
so it goes hand in hand.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
the way google has been acting lately with all this web monitoring talk i've been using bing slightly more.
^^ This.

People are realizing that Google has been Data mining us for the past decade and don't want to be tracked any more.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Good, Google really have turned backwards...It was all good and then instead of keeping with the KISS attitude that made their search engine popular in the first place, they go and add all this java stuff...Eugh.
Agreed. I recall every time I installed firefox, I'd manually set the home page to the true google page rather than the firefox-google page. Now with all of the crap changes to the google homepage, I actually prefer the simple firefox-google start page. Guess I'll be relying on the google toolbar more and more often. Have no motivation to move to yahoo search...ever. It being the third most popular search engine confirms that there really must only be three options...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
the way google has been acting lately with all this web monitoring talk i've been using bing slightly more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH View Post
^^ This.

People are realizing that Google has been Data mining us for the past decade and don't want to be tracked any more.
Random question.

What do you think keeps other search engines from doing the same thing ?

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Let Windows OS free for a month and u can see Bing in the 1st place
for now I prefer Google plus Google Chrome and that will be my configuration for a long time.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
a shame M$ never acquired yahoo. Biggest mistake they'll ever make, until they become defunct.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Google. No ads, good results. I don't care about anything else.
You realize that links at the top and right side of each Google search result page are ads, right? Companies and people are paying for those "sponsored links".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
It might...dunno since I usually have Bing as my default engine. But the change is more likely due to Yahoo powering a portion of their searches by Bing now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Random question.

What do you think keeps other search engines from doing the same thing ?
Google's privacy policy is much more lax than those of other companies. Basically by using Google, their privacy policy states that they can store all sorts of stuff about your search habits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
a shame M$ never acquired yahoo. Biggest mistake they'll ever make, until they become defunct.
Meh...probably better that way. The Yahoo usage of Bing is probably a better business plan since MS isn't on the hook for any decisions that Yahoo makes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts