Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Amateur Games Dev
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Farivar
French regulators have said Skype could face prosecution for failing to register as an "electronic communications operator" with France's telecom regulator. The agency, known by its French acronym ARCEP, wrote in an English-language statement on Tuesday that "failure to comply with this obligation does, however, constitute a criminal offense."

Being an operator that provides telecom services to the public "also implies compliance with certain obligations, which include the routing of emergency calls and implementing the means required to perform legally ordered [wiretap] interceptions," according to ARCEP.

In its statement, ARCEP said it had requested that Skype go through this process "several times," and the company has apparently failed to comply.

Ars reached out to Microsoft (Skype's parent company), to current and former Skype employees, and to ARCEP but did not receive an immediate reply.
France says Skype could face prosecution for failure to register as a telecom

France, the misanthrope of the technology world.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
"also implies compliance with certain obligations, which include the routing of emergency calls"

What? If I'm being burgled I don't think the most effective way of getting some police round is to skipe them!
doh.gif

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedinvader View Post

"also implies compliance with certain obligations, which include the routing of emergency calls"

What? If I'm being burgled I don't think the most effective way of getting some police round is to skipe them!
doh.gif
What's next, tweeting the fire brigade?

@LocalFireDep My house is on fire LOL #yolo

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonshorty View Post

Quote:

doh.gif

I think you're onto something.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post

Whenever anything bad comes up, France is first to implement it, or litigate about it, see three strikes laws and others that I can't name off the top of my head.
France has gotten thorny after all those years of being an empire.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

lachen.gif
Now THAT was funny!

sigge'd

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

doh.gif

Funny you say that. I remember reading this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20754978

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post

I think you're onto something.
This made my night! Hahahah. xD
thumb.gif

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
lol europe is full of old traditionalists that don't understand tech. not saying american regulators are much better. but europe just makes me lol with a lot of this stuff

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
On a more sinister note...this sounds like France is actually trying to piss off MS again by proxy of subsidiary.

Love the Twitter the local fire department joke though.

PS: What about Google and Google Voice again?
rolleyes.gif
Oh wait...EU is still sore about MS and not having the balls to actually educate consumers about alternative software.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts