Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/intels-800gbps-cables-headed-to-cloud-data-centers-and-supercomputers/
Quote:
ntel and several of its partners said they will make 800Gbps cables available in the second half of this year, bringing big speed increases to supercomputers and data centers.

The new cables are based on Intel's Silicon Photonics technology that pushes 25Gbps across each fiber. Last year, Intel demonstrated speeds of 100Gbps in each direction, using eight fibers. A new connector that goes by the name "MXC" holds up to 64 fibers (32 for transmitting and 32 for receiving), enabling a jump to 800Gbps in one direction and 800Gbps in the other, or an aggregate of "1.6Tbps" as Intel prefers to call it. (In case you're wondering, MXC is not an acronym for anything.)
This going to be expensive!

I can imagine the cabling costing a few hundred dollars per foot... 64 optic cables....

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,706 Posts
why do i have a feeling ill be seeing several thousand feet of this at work........if it works well i may ask for some for home use...just to say i have it.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
SIngle mode, man, singlemode. 100Gb/s FDX per pair. what's news about 25Gb/s per pair?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

why do i have a feeling ill be seeing several thousand feet of this at work........if it works well i may ask for some for home use...just to say i have it.
This maybe for top of the rack switches or backbones..... maybe.

·
Been here for a while
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

(In case you're wondering, MXC is not an acronym for anything.)
Actually MXC is the name of one of the Arma 3 rifles. lol

• Rep+
Reactions: Outlawed

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

SIngle mode, man, singlemode. 100Gb/s FDX per pair. what's news about 25Gb/s per pair?
25Gb/s per pair.... but 32 pairs in a single cable....

How many modes can phase into current multi-mode cables?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Quote:

25Gb/s per pair.... but 32 pairs in a single cable....

How many modes can phase into current multi-mode cables?
as many as you want to, basically. right now 40GbE is funny to me, because it's just 8 fibers in an assembly, each running at 10Gb.

You can also do 10Gb/s FDX on a SINGLE sm fiber - those transceivers are slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Nice, nice, nice.

Moar speed is always good.

Let the industry pay for it and we'll get the spinoffs later
biggrin.gif

Optical LAN for home, sure why not, I like.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post

For people who don't work in industry that see a bit of news like this its impressive.

To people like me and you, its not at all.
For those of us not in the industry, the ones that look at shiney numbers and say, "oooohhhhh and aaahhhhh", could you explain why this is an inferior cable.

Because to me, this almost looks like Intel QPI in cable form, designed specifically to serve as an interconnect between hardware racks in a disaggregated server hardware scheme. Where instead of installing blades in a server rack, you move to installing a CPU blade in a CPU rack, GPU blade in a GPU rack.

You add additional specific hardware capability based on what you need. Modular component designs are extremely useful in the fight to keep costs down but, the weakest link is almost always the connection speed between two components.

Now to see if this pans out.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

as many as you want to, basically. right now 40GbE is funny to me, because it's just 8 fibers in an assembly, each running at 10Gb.

You can also do 10Gb/s FDX on a SINGLE sm fiber - those transceivers are slightly more expensive.
Yes, theoretically.... you can fit as many phases of light in a single fiber but how many phases are being used today?

What's the maximum number of FDX fibers in a single cable?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
they only bother with it when putting in more fiber is a PITA. like the transatlantic cables. the maximum number of fibers in a cable? or the maximum number of fibers in a pre-terminated assembly? because you can buy 192+ fiber "cables".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

Nice, nice, nice.

Moar speed is always good.

Let the industry pay for it and we'll get the spinoffs later
biggrin.gif

Optical LAN for home, sure why not, I like.
optical LAN for home is a terrible idea. there was a brief push for "fiber to the desktop" in the 90s, and it was a failure of epic proportions. explaining to people that the two identical plugs have to go in the right order is bad enough, explaining that kinking it breaks it forever, or that it has to be cleaned is a hilarious way to make you want to claw your eyes out. Fiber that the average Joe can touch is a horrible idea. I know, because I work in the field.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

they only bother with it when putting in more fiber is a PITA. like the transatlantic cables. the maximum number of fibers in a cable? or the maximum number of fibers in a pre-terminated assembly? because you can buy 192+ fiber "cables".
optical LAN for home is a terrible idea. there was a brief push for "fiber to the desktop" in the 90s, and it was a failure of epic proportions. explaining to people that the two identical plugs have to go in the right order is bad enough, explaining that kinking it breaks it forever, or that it has to be cleaned is a hilarious way to make you want to claw your eyes out. Fiber that the average Joe can touch is a horrible idea. I know, because I work in the field.
Maximum number in a pre-terminated assembly. What's the maximum throughput of a "standard" cable+assembly?

Yup, the only "popular" optical link is TOSLINK for audio. Intel's ThunderBolt was suppose to be optical... but that's been placed on hold. Besides, 10GbE, 40GbE, and 100GbE over copper is possible... but it's just too expensive (and power hungry) for mainstream adoption.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The cables never get faster.

Can't improve upon the speed of light (yet)

It's the signalling equipment that gets better and allows for faster "speeds".

Working on equipment like Cisco ASR 9K routers on a 40GB National WAN network does help in that respect
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

such a network nerdfest in here
redface.gif

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Quote:

Maximum number in a pre-terminated assembly. What's the maximum throughput of a "standard" cable+assembly?

Yup, the only "popular" optical link is TOSLINK for audio. Intel's ThunderBolt was suppose to be optical... but that's been placed on hold. Besides, 10GbE, 40GbE, and 100GbE over copper is possible... but it's just too expensive (and power hungry) for mainstream adoption.
well, most 40GbE fiber assemblies are actually 6 pairs, but 2 are unused. so that's another 20Gb/s FDX that isn't in use.

what's your definition of standard? MTP/MPO is the current high density game for the most part, but I only see it used in datacenters. plenty of 10GbE copper as well. it's pretty cheap to implement so long as the cable runs aren't very long.

You can get optical thunderbolt cables now, actually - they encapsulate the transceiver in the ends of the cable, which is a good move, IMHO, because it's way smaller than a duplex LC connector, and it makes it way more idiot proof. it's going to be copper at some point no matter what.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB205VC/A/thunderbolt-100-ft-30-m-optical-cable-by-corning?afid=p219|GOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG-PLA

there TB 2.0, 20Gb/s to play with, 30m long.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.