Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO â€" In describing the motivation behind Intel's recent purchase of McAfee for a packed-out audience at the Intel Developer Forum, Intel's Paul Otellini framed it as an effort to move the way the company approaches security "from a known-bad model to a known-good model." Otellini went on to briefly describe the shift in a way that sounded innocuous enough--current A/V efforts focus on building up a library of known threats against which they protect a user, but Intel would love to move to a world where only code from known and trusted parties runs on x86 systems. It sounds sensible enough, so what could be objectionable about that?
Source.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
they will take over the world!

google+intel= skynet 2.0.....

Pretty much haha.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
And then Windows and Linux abandon x86 for ARM, AMD jumps for joy because it no longer has to fight with Intel over x86, and instead is free to develop mainstream RISC cpus, and Apple becomes the only company with an x86 operating system, making full use of the security features to control it's already locked down OS.

Can't wait Intel. You've already lost my interest with Sandy Bridge, so please take that one extra step and leave us all alone. Permanently.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
Intel decides what code is approved to run on their CPU architecture?

Seriously?
Good. I thought I was the only one that read it like that...

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post
And then Windows and Linux abandon x86 for ARM, AMD jumps for joy because it no longer has to fight with Intel over x86, and instead is free to develop mainstream RISC cpus, and Apple becomes the only company with an x86 operating system, making full use of the security features to control it's already locked down OS.

Can't wait Intel. You've already lost my interest with Sandy Bridge, so please take that one extra step and leave us all alone. Permanently.
You're funny. ARM... mainstream

Intel aren't going to limit what programs you can run on your CPU, you'd have to be a tad braindead to think that.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So then what about all of us programmers who want to run our own code? We have to submit it to Intel for approval, wait a few months for their reply, and then, if they accept, run our code that probably only runs something simple like Boolean equations? No thanks Intel, I'll stick with AMD.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga35 View Post
So then what about all of us programmers who want to run our own code? We have to submit it to Intel for approval, wait a few months for their reply, and then, if they accept, run our code that probably only runs something simple like Boolean equations? No thanks Intel, I'll stick with AMD.
Which is exactly why people getting all excited and angry over this is silly. That would never be a feasible situation, it just ain't going to happen! People need to use common sense really.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
Which is exactly why people getting all excited and angry over this is silly. That would never be a feasible situation, it just ain't going to happen! People need to use common sense really.
Well, this is what the article is stating, whether or not it comes to fruition, is another thing, but based on the article, it wouldn't be a hard thing to do, and would definitely make Intel money, because I'm sure they wouldn't just look through all these different codes for free. Which means, they would either charge money for it, or implant ads into people's programs.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Well, this is what the article is stating, whether or not it comes to fruition, is another thing, but based on the article, it wouldn't be a hard thing to do, and would definitely make Intel money, because I'm sure they wouldn't just look through all these different codes for free. Which means, they would either charge money for it, or implant ads into people's programs.
You get ridiculous articles that take things out of contexts all the time. If I had a penny for every outrageous scandal that arrives on OCN's news... only to fall by the wayside and to be forgotten.

Secondly, it wouldn't net Intel more money. A huge, huge chunk of profit is in R&D and if you are unable to design or test anything without Intel's backing, the whole market moves to a competitor. So, that is ridiculous. Secondly, Intel isn't going to start implanting ads. It would make for an awful brand image, thus damaging them further.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

You get ridiculous articles that take things out of contexts all the time. If I had a penny for every outrageous scandal that arrives on OCN's news... only to fall by the wayside and to be forgotten.

Secondly, it wouldn't net Intel more money. A huge, huge chunk of profit is in R&D and if you are unable to design or test anything without Intel's backing, the whole market moves to a competitor. So, that is ridiculous. Secondly, Intel isn't going to start implanting ads. It would make for an awful brand image, thus damaging them further.
Apple does the same thing, and they seem to be doing fine.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Apple does the same thing, and they seem to be doing fine.

Where? Where does Apple implant ads into their software/hardware?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Quote:

Where? Where does Apple implant ads into their software/hardware?
Have you ever taken a look at the apps from the app store?

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever taken a look at the apps from the app store?
And who makes the apps? Apple? I don't think so... Those ad supported apps are done to keep the developers in cash. Apple doesn't put the ads there.

The developers of the apps put ads in to generate a revenue stream, not Apple.

• Rep+
Reactions: notdeadyet

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
So Intel's basically giving ARM a standing chance!?

They can't do this to x86-64 though. That's at AMD's discretion.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Guys, alex98uk is EXACTLY right, this will never happen.....for desktops. This is meant to be for servers guys, a lot of servers run very specific software and will never run anything else, or rarely changed. With this built in AV checking to make sure all code is approved code for that server it will be perfectly secure, at least on that end.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts