Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until now, Rowhammer exploits had to execute code on targeted machines. That hurdle required attackers to either sneak the unprivileged code onto the machines or lure end users to a website that hosted malicious JavaScript. In a paper published Thursday, researchers at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and the University of Cyprus showed that standard packets sent over networks used by many cloud services, universities, and others were sufficient. The secret to the new technique: increasingly fast network speeds that allow hackers to send specially designed packets in rapid succession.
Source

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,511 Posts
Hm. I am not aware if RDMA is actually used by admins. When I was asking about LAN cards configurations, i received just vague responses.

Default settings are preferred for obvious reasons, but it usually means that special features are not used by default.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
For networks and distributed systems where they are pushing for 40+Gbps connectors, every little bit of optimization is going to be explored and used to maximize throughput. Within distributed computing, big data, and hosted environments (cloud :( ) the network is by far the largest bottleneck and everything is being done to increase node coherence.

So yes, this is most definitely being used intentionally by a lot of systems. The other troubling question is in what configurations is this the default behavior?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts