Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The newly appointed UN special rapporteur on privacy, Joseph Cannataci, has called the UK's oversight of surveillance "a rather bad joke at its citizens' expense," and said that the situation regarding privacy is "worse" than anything George Orwell imagined in his novel 1984. Speaking to The Guardian, Cannataci said: "at least Winston [a character in Orwell's 1984] was able to go out in the countryside and go under a tree and expect there wouldn't be any screen, as it was called. Whereas today there are many parts of the English countryside where there are more cameras than George Orwell could ever have imagined. So the situation in some cases is far worse already."

Cannataci is also concerned about the routine surveillance carried out by Internet companies as a key part of their business model. "They just went out and created a model where people's data has become the new currency," he said. "And unfortunately, the vast bulk of people sign their rights away without knowing or thinking too much about it."
Source.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
But do they have their two minutes of hate?

In all seriousness I wonder how some US cities compare? I understand some (NYC and Chicago for example) have a lot of cameras. Hard to imagine cameras in the countryside though.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Well... the flip side is that the Boston Marathon Bombers as well as the Bankcock bombers could be found on video and tracked, if only for a short while.

Privacy rights vs mass surveillance... there's enough of that topic floating about.

It is what it is. Take an idealistic viewpoint. It doesn't matter because it won't change.

In the UK (and probably here as well) they use live scan facial recognition at public events. For what it's worth...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Well... the flip side is that the Boston Marathon Bombers as well as the Bankcock bombers could be found on video and tracked, if only for a short while.

Privacy rights vs mass surveillance... there's enough of that topic floating about.

It is what it is. Take an idealistic viewpoint. It doesn't matter because it won't change.
The "funny?" thing about that is years ago people would have said any of 1984 becoming reality would be stuff of the tinfoil hat brigade, and here we are today and the response is "meh that is just how it is."

Quote:

In the UK (and probably here as well) they use live scan facial recognition at public events. For what it's worth...
I think recall them talking about that for the Vancouver games and if memory serves some of their surveillance was coordinated from the US side.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sempre

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I think the response by the people is not "Meh" I think everyone gives a ... but what can the general public actually do in a civil way?

I do wonder these days if its better to have your info gathered or somehow try to hide it.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
What ^ said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualCat View Post

The "funny?" thing about that is years ago people would have said any of 1984 becoming reality would be stuff of the tinfoil hat brigade, and here we are today and the response is "meh that is just how it is."
If it were up to me, I would shut down the NSA permanently. And it's not so much a "meh" as much a disappointed acknowledgement that there's not a whole lot I can really do about the situation. For the most part, privacy is dead. All you can do take appropriate steps for your particular level of "meh" and hope nobody is curious.

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFTW View Post

I think the response by the people is not "Meh" I think everyone gives a ... but what can the general public actually do in a civil way?

I do wonder these days if its better to have your info gathered or somehow try to hide it.
With the broken political and judicial method of introducing new laws without public consent? Nothing.

Though I've never had anything against a good street riot or two for legitimate issues regarding public freedom and civil rights.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Quote:

All you can do take appropriate steps for your particular level of "meh" and hope nobody is curious.
Like the Guardian
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The solution is 'simple' when condensed to a bullet point list:

-Realize it's about detriment and benefit, not about countries or genetic strains.
-Keep our current systems running. We don't want chaos, but instead, survive and save ourselves and mother Earth.
-Use your voting power on people that will know when to stand up when they see the proper support.
-Rely on those that know what to do.
-People need a hierarchy for efficient and cooperative functioning as a whole.
-Identify detriment within current hierarchies. Gone is the mystique once you realize the truth.
-Contain detriment, using existing justice systems, and if so needed, at the global level, introduce new global bodies to put to justice this multigenerational, global crime.
-Unition of people required for a scope the size of this (See first point again)
-Unified global truth, through peer review / control both down AND UP the hierarchy.
-Change and adapt the global human systems by competent, genuinely beneficial people.
-For a better world, for a lasting future for mankind with its true legacy.
-And maybe, one day, see other worlds, and perhaps make new friends.
-About genetic strains? One word: Bio-diversity! Every strain has the right to be preserved as mankind's legacy.

As for detriment and benefit:

-What is benefit? Love and compassion. Persuing life for oneself and others. Detriment is the opposite of this and detriment loathes this.
-As there is necessery evil, there is necessary good. Put the big picture together to not mix up the original and necessary bit.
-Retro apply this abstract to the concrete religion you may follow, there's no reason to forgo yours once you realize a bread is a bread and water is water.
-There is an infinite amount of detriment and there is an infinite amount of benefit. Neither look at your faith, color, genetic strain, what so ever. They look at whether you allow either one in or not...

A long way uphill? Surely. But remember, the power of the individual is to cooperate and work together as a whole
smile.gif

More food for thought.

·
Politically incorrect
9,295 Posts
All Orwell did was look at society at the time and go to its full conclusion. Sadly he couldn't have known that the end result would be far worse than what he imagined as 75% of the country wasn't on anti-depressants. British society is in a state that can't be described without me getting an infraction for being political. London has more camera's than Beijing but not have solved a single crime but can boast that six year olds get strip searched by the cops on the street.

Freedom is slavery, debt is wealth and the destruction of the nation and the world means living in peace.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
While I totally empathize with all of that, most literary critics would argue that Orwell's interpretation of a British revolution that didn't happen was inaccurate (including Orwell), and that contemporary liberal societies are more like a Brave New World than 1984 (excessive permission rather than prohibition leads to groupthink). Just something to look into if you're into that.

Community, Identity, Stability!

·
Politically incorrect
9,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

While I totally empathize with all of that, most literary critics would argue that Orwell's interpretation of a British revolution that didn't happen was inaccurate (including Orwell), and that contemporary liberal societies are more like a Brave New World than 1984 (excessive permission rather than prohibition leads to groupthink). Just something to look into if you're into that.

Community, Identity, Stability!
I see the world as a mix of 1984, Brave New World and This Perfect Day.

1984: surveillance, double think and double speak, the invention of language to make nonsense acceptable and blaming the weak for the problems created by the powerful.
Brave New World: indulging in excesses especially sexual, meddling with DNA, etc.
This Perfect Day: over medicated and unable to think.

While none of these books were written that well and aren't excellent reads they are combined a perfect reflection of our current Western world.

Edit: and then there are the slogans from 1984 that are exactly what is used by our dear leaders:
Freedom is slavery - surveillance is necessary to keep you safe from whichever invented boogeyman.
War is peace - we have to bomb the next impoverished, starving people before they come here and do whatever we just made up.
Ignorance is bliss - don't think too much and question the status quo or you'll be branded a terrorist and put on the terrorist watch list, ready to be vaporised by hellfires from a drone or at least put in prison like the many who have been imprisoned or fired simply because you dared question the nonsense we are taught.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

All Orwell did was look at society at the time and go to its full conclusion. Sadly he couldn't have known that the end result would be far worse than what he imagined as 75% of the country wasn't on anti-depressants. British society is in a state that can't be described without me getting an infraction for being political. London has more camera's than Beijing but not have solved a single crime but can boast that six year olds get strip searched by the cops on the street.

Freedom is slavery, debt is wealth and the destruction of the nation and the world means living in peace.
wut?

The CCTV cameras in London have helped solve millions of crimes from pickpocketing to terrorism and no one under 18 can legally be strip searched.

·
Politically incorrect
9,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

wut?

The CCTV cameras in London have helped solve millions of crimes from pickpocketing to terrorism and no one under 18 can legally be strip searched.
LOL that is funny.

Whatever you say.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
Quote:

LOL that is funny.

Whatever you say.
They helped catch a couple of the 7/7 bombers
thumb.gif

·
Politically incorrect
9,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

They helped catch a couple of the 7/7 bombers
thumb.gif
Really?? They helped catch them?
lachen.gif

While it's funny it's awfully sad at the same time for Orwell, the great seer, was correct.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
Quote:

Really?? They helped catch them?
lachen.gif

While it's funny it's awfully sad at the same time for Orwell, the great seer, was correct.
Yes.

If CCTV didn't exist, it would have been much harder (if not, impossible, would you want to interview hundreds of thousands of members of public?) to track down who was behind the bombings since no one made one of those "pre-I'm going to blow stuff up" videos and no terror group admitted it was them.

·
Amiga 600
665 Posts
Forget 1984, did anyone ever play Syndicate when they were younger? That's the world we're hurtling towards.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts