Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

A rather surprising article hit the front page of the BBC on Tuesday: the next generation of hard disks could cause slowdowns for XP users. Not normally the kind of thing you'd expect to be placed so prominently, but the warning it gives is a worthy one, if timed a bit oddly. The world of hard disks is set to change, and the impact could be severe. In the remarkably conservative world of PC hardware, it's not often that a 30-year-old convention gets discarded. Even this change has been almost a decade in the making.

Source

Please don't shoot me if this is a repost; I seriously did not see anything regarding this while using the search function.

Interesting read. Perhaps another reason to ditch Windows XP on all but the weaker systems?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Repost, but I won't shoot you.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by losttsol View Post
Repost, but I won't shoot you.
Shoot! Link to the thread?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only one prob,most owners of XP refuse to pay the outrageous prices on win7. I got damn lucky when I bought my 1Tb drive with windows 7 already installed,just popped in the disc and finished installing the COA key and i was on my way. Grand total...140$ The program alone cost that and I managed to find the drive with it, Samsung btw.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Home Premium OEM is only $105 on newegg, I'm sure most computer enthusiasts can fork that out.

Hell my parents bought me ultimate, i don't even use the "extras" it came with. well maybe solitaire

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
Home Premium OEM is only $105 on newegg, I'm sure most computer enthusiasts can fork that out.

Hell my parents bought me ultimate, i don't even use the "extras" it came with. well maybe solitaire

oem kinda sucks though being stuck to the same motherboard.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
linux and wine?

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
Whats the difference? Some XP users are too stubborn upgrade their OS let alone their HDD.

I wonder how much of a slowdown it is? Or if its even noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts