Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
"The introduction of the iPhone literally changed the nature of the telephone," said McElhinny. "In 2004, when this project started, it was considered extraordinarily risky. Apple was a computer company-it had no phones. It was going to invest this time to come up with a product that would compete with some of the biggest companies in the world: Motorola, Nokia, and Samsung."

But only Samsung chose to pursue a path of "intentional copying," McElhinny told the jury, blowing off Apple's patent rights in a desperate attempt to play catch-up.

For that, Apple is seeking what would be the largest jury award ever in a patent case: more than $2 billion for the sale of 37 million allegedly infringing phones. It's an extraordinary rate of about $40 per phone and a considerable escalation in the long-running patent war between the two smartphone leaders.
Round 3...

Pretty interesting read.

SOURCE: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/apple-lawyer-to-jury-samsung-crossed-into-the-dark-side/

• Rep+
Reactions: HanSomPa

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

Is this actually an April Fool's joke though?
Nope. This has been an ongoing thing between them. It's getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

Nope. This has been an ongoing thing between them. It's getting ridiculous.
God this is ******ed. Will somebody give them a good slap on the ass and handcuff them? Pursuing legal action for the sake of profit is disgusting.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The whole 'Apple war on Google' theme is pretty interesting and I want to know more about it other than the snippets of legal documents getting thrown around.

I did laugh at the independent investigation showing that even if the Patents were copied, they only deserve a maximum of $39.2m as opposed to the $2Billion Apple launched with.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Lol'ed hard reading one of the user comments after the article...
Quote:
The "dark side"? Does George Lucas own the copyright and/or trademark for that phrase? Perhaps his lawyers should sue Apple's lawyer, who then could sue Samsung for actually crossing into the dark side and therefore forcing him (Apple's lawyer) to use the phrase in the first place. Then Samsung could sue Lucas for creating the dark side and possibly making it a tempting place to cross into.
lachen.gif

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsyph View Post

Apple and its over priced GARBAGE needs to disappear.
That's a bit harsh lol. I do jump from Android to iOS often, and imo both have advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

I Lol'ed hard reading one of the user comments after the article...
lachen.gif
That comment is amazing, would rep.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I blame the idiot who granted these broad patents. I'm surprised Apple didn't patent "Using binary code on a mobile device"

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
And i agree, ape iphones are garbage. Over priced, low performane. When the new iphone comes out you are basicallypaying for hardware that has been out for a year rappes in a new shiny, easily breakable case.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.