Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seriously tarnishing its reputation with the diesel scandal, Volkswagen Group has changed strategy. As we reported last September, the company is now committed to electrifying all of its brands by 2030, with 30 new plug-in hybrids and 50 new battery electric vehicles due by that date. On Tuesday, the company revealed a crucial part of that plan, called Roadmap E, by locking up a $25 billion supply of batteries
Source

Good luck catching up to Tesla.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Good luck catching up to Tesla.
Both figuratively and literally, if the specs on the Roadster 2 are to be believed.

But hey, choice leads to competition, which leads to innovation, lower prices, mass adoption, and the dark side. Or something.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Tesla's base car is very boring. You have the option of color and rims? No thanks. Maybe some other companies can step in and make a nicer looking car with a competitive price.

The roadster seems cool on paper, but are people really willing to go for the electric thing at that price when you can buy an exotic car that has a better sounding power plant with a strong history behind it's name? Personally, I'd take a Huracan for the same price as the roadster and have a way cooler car, even if it doesn't have the same 0-60...

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I feel Tesla would be a lot more affordable if they could iron out their supply issues. Once they're able to start moving a larger quantity they won't have to operate on such large margins.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
The roadster seems cool on paper, but are people really willing to go for the electric thing at that price when you can buy an exotic car that has a better sounding power plant with a strong history behind it's name? Personally, I'd take a Huracan for the same price as the roadster and have a way cooler car, even if it doesn't have the same 0-60...
While I get what you mean, I also think you're comparing apples to oranges here. The tesla roadster is very much a hypercar, pushing the spec limits, while the huracan is at most an entry level supercar, that while cool for some people, might look gaudy or even completely tasteless to others.

These cars are on very different levels and targeting different costumers. And imo they both have their place in the market.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,118 Posts
Tesla's base car is very boring. You have the option of color and rims? No thanks. Maybe some other companies can step in and make a nicer looking car with a competitive price.
This is a bit I don't understand. Why is it that any eco-friendly vehicles that are priced for the masses so god awful hideous? The leaf? volt? prius? etc etc...the list goes on and on. I can't believe all those designs passed multiple levels of approval. It boggles my mind. Imo one of the reasons the 3 series sold so well was that it didn't look like those "eggs".

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Tesla is targeting the middle to higer class income earners. Most of these car manufacturers are.

That is not what I was refering to, but rather the horrible reviews and first impressions of the Tesla Model 3 by reviewers claiming it to be "like a 1999 KIA"

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Exactly, Tesla is also a small car maker compared to behemoths like VW group. Where is Tesla? Can't even find it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manufacturers_by_motor_vehicle_production

To me Tesla is like an Apple of cars, fancy marketing and shows but otherwise rubbish, overpriced stuff for the very very few.
Actually I am very impressed by what Tesla tries to do. I like Tesla and Elon Musk and I think their cars look good.

I just dislike the fanatic following of Tesla like religious people or Apple product buyers for a mere hope of what Tesla stands for.

In the US everything is about hype. Quality comes second. If some car manufacturer does something with electric cars then everyone feels the need to mention Tesla.

I will wait and see what the future brings. If Tesla manages to sell good quality cars for a reasonable price instead of hope and hype then I will most certainly consider buying a Tesla in the future.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
In the US everything is about hype. Quality comes second. If some car manufacturer does something with electric cars then everyone feels the need to mention Tesla.
You're really just describing the industrialised world. Outside of a handful of boutique car producers, the majority of car companies put hype and profits before quality, whether they be American, Japanese, or European. Tesla is at the very least interested in changing some of the paradigms in the auto industry, and that is why Tesla is always mentioned when electric cars come up. In this case, it's less about 'hype' and more about the company having an outsized influence simply because the car industry has been very complacent for years.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
You're really just describing the industrialised world. Outside of a handful of boutique car producers, the majority of car companies put hype and profits before quality, whether they be American, Japanese, or European. Tesla is at the very least interested in changing some of the paradigms in the auto industry, and that is why Tesla is always mentioned when electric cars come up. In this case, it's less about 'hype' and more about the company having an outsized influence simply because the car industry has been very complacent for years.
I feel different about this. Here in europe, with everyone I talk to, people seem to be chosing cars because of price/performance mostly. They basically chose the best car they can get for their budget with a strong focus on fuel economy, insurance cost etc. Nobody is buying a Volkswagen Golf because of a collected hivemind of hype.

I agree that they all focus on profits. Its how capitalism and every single company operates. If they can save a buck they are going to save a buck.

For me it still stays the same. If I am going to buy a Tesla it is going to be because it makes sense, not because I want to appear to be something I am not to other people or because of hype. They are not exactly cheap cars and they lack a bit of flavour and soul for my taste. I am going to be very interesting in seeing what other manufactures are doing with their electric cars. Numbers can impress and fool the average person, but 1-100 and max speed is extremely useless in the real world.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
That is not what I was refering to, but rather the horrible reviews and first impressions of the Tesla Model 3 by reviewers claiming it to be "like a 1999 KIA"
As someone who relatively recently ditched a 2003 Kia I find this amusing in its absurdity.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
I feel different about this. Here in europe, with everyone I talk to, people seem to be chosing cars because of price/performance mostly. They basically chose the best car they can get for their budget with a strong focus on fuel economy, insurance cost etc. Nobody is buying a Volkswagen Golf because of a collected hivemind of hype.

I agree that they all focus on profits. Its how capitalism and every single company operates. If they can save a buck they are going to save a buck.

For me it still stays the same. If I am going to buy a Tesla it is going to be because it makes sense, not because I want to appear to be something I am not to other people or because of hype. They are not exactly cheap cars and they lack a bit of flavour and soul for my taste. I am going to be very interesting in seeing what other manufactures are doing with their electric cars. Numbers can impress and fool the average person, but 1-100 and max speed is extremely useless in the real world.
I think there's something of a conflation of investor interest and consumer interest here. I grew up in London, but I live in the US and I suppose my experience just doesn't line up with your perception. American car buyers, by and large, do choose "the best car they can get for their budget with a strong focus on fuel economy, insurance cost etc". I know people still living in the UK who buy cars because of 'hivemind hype' and I also know that the most common brands I see on my commute into work in metro Boston are Honda, Toyota, BMW, and Nissan; I've seen maybe three Teslas. Perhaps it's because of my experience in more than one country that I question the idea of Tesla 'hype' being some uniquely American thing when most Americans I see and speak with on a daily basis are apathetic about Tesla if they're even fully aware of what Tesla is doing. I agree that the reason to buy a Tesla is if it makes sense for your usage, but it's the same sort of person who is going to be hyped about Tesla's image if they're in Los Angeles or Lagos or Lyons.

TL;DR what investors are hyped about doesn't necessarily reflect the perceptions and predilections of the average person on the street.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
I think there's something of a conflation of investor interest and consumer interest here. I grew up in London, but I live in the US and I suppose my experience just doesn't line up with your perception. American car buyers, by and large, do choose "the best car they can get for their budget with a strong focus on fuel economy, insurance cost etc". I know people still living in the UK who buy cars because of 'hivemind hype' and I also know that the most common brands I see on my commute into work in metro Boston are Honda, Toyota, BMW, and Nissan; I've seen maybe three Teslas. Perhaps it's because of my experience in more than one country that I question the idea of Tesla 'hype' being some uniquely American thing when most Americans I see and speak with on a daily basis are apathetic about Tesla if they're even fully aware of what Tesla is doing. I agree that the reason to buy a Tesla is if it makes sense for your usage, but it's the same sort of person who is going to be hyped about Tesla's image if they're in Los Angeles or Lagos or Lyons.

TL;DR what investors are hyped about doesn't necessarily reflect the perceptions and predilections of the average person on the street.
yes true. Maybe I didn't articulate particularly well.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
yes true. Maybe I didn't articulate particularly well.
Eh, we agree on the important part. ;) What Tesla is doing is neat, but they have a lot of work to do if they're interested in doing more than tangentially affecting the trajectory of a major industry. Frankly, BMW's commitment to expanding electric and plug-in hybrid options through their entire range is much more efficacious and has had a broader impact on other makers... and BMW isn't exactly the Joe Bloggs sensible family car. I'd wager that their movement on this issue has had a greater effect on VW than anything Tesla's done. Where Tesla can really shine is in their battery-swap stations, long-haul vehicle ideas, and battery tech development. They just don't have the production or (it seems) the inclination to address the majority of the car market, though.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts