Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies, im getting artifacts in furmark with my OC but not in the games i play.
The question is, can I OC higher even tho furmark doesnt like it? my temps are fine and it doesn't affect me in game.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

Furmark will stress your GPU far more then many games out there on the market ever will....yes you can run your card with "game stable" overclocks instead of running "furmark stable" overclocks but there are quite a few newer games on the market that will push your system and might cause artifacts

What game are you currently using to "test" your overclock?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Really there is nothing wrong with suiting your overclocks to a single game

But the miniscule performance increase may not be worth it for the games you play (with the exception of GTA IV) and the headache of it just artifacting out of nowhere when you get to a stressful area/level/switch games is something else to factor in

What have you achieved so far thats been stable when gaming compared to what you where running before?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=*HERO*=- View Post
i got my 275oc to the OCX levels plus a lil when i decided to furmark it. then asked my original question.
Ah ok

Have you tried any farther for a "game stable" clocking?

Really the only game you should be trying to overclock for on your system is GTA IV and thats mostly limited by your CPU

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i think you need to try more demanding games like BC2 or crysis and see if your OC is still stable in those games thats what i think...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=*HERO*=- View Post
um, im at work now so, when i get home i'll figure out how far i can take it temp wise. why it that the only game to oc for?
Well all of the other games you listed above your system should handle with ease considering quite a few of them make use of all four cores on your CPU and they are all decently optimized titles

GTA IV's just the exception performance wise...even with my 945 clocked up to 3.8Ghz and running my 4870 and 4890 in crossfire the game will still drop in frames constantly...its playable but annoying as hell

If you are only running at 2.2Ghz on your CPU i am sure your framerates are choppy and unplayable quite often

Its cause you are really CPU limited not GPU limited in GTA

GTA just seems to never be satisfied no matter your clocking or hardware

Do you have any performance problems in your other games? everything plays pretty smooth right?

What settings do you run Fallout 3 at (AA/AF) ? Does it run smoothly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts