Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I put AS5 between the core and the heatsink of my Chaintech FX5500 256mb...... I heard many people have gotten problems doing this and some have fried graphics card?????

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Its fine. The core on the 5500 isnt the typical 130/90nm silicon die. Its a big black square like southbridges. Put a bb sized dot in the centre of it and seat the heatsink down. Clean off the core and the heatsink with rubbing alcohol. AS5 isnt extremely conductive, and its no big deal. Just dont put a ton of it on there and its fine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i would agree with bigval. i had AS5 on the cpu, gpu and even on the chipset as u had asked in another thread. still running without any problems.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Wait. its like a southbridge core?? I thought it had a little hole like the intel procs did (i dont know if the new LGA775 ones do, but the 478 does) wouldnt that screw it up? but anyway. I guess i thought wrong on the core, my bad.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkat

Wait. its like a southbridge core?? I thought it had a little hole like the intel procs did (i dont know if the new LGA775 ones do, but the 478 does) wouldnt that screw it up? but anyway. I guess i thought wrong on the core, my bad.

No, nothing else has that little air hole in them. The 775's dont have it.

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
I put AS5 on everything; CPUs, GPUs, sandwiches, Northbrige chips...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts