Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

The setup

We used an Asus laptop for every test. It features an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 processor at 2.80GHz, 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM, a 320GB SATA hard drive (7200 RPM), an Nvidia GT 240M graphics card with 1GB of DDR3 VRAM, and a 15.6-inch HD LCD display (1366 x768).

The first thing we did was add a brand new 50GB partition for a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. Then we let the hundred or so patches come through Windows Update. We made sure all the drivers were up-to-date, especially the graphics card's, and then we went out and downloaded all of IE8's best friends: Firefox 3, Chrome 6, Safari 5, and Opera 10. After running all the tests, we went out and grabbed the IE9 beta, Firefox 4 beta 6, Chrome 7 dev, a WebKit nightly, and Opera 10.70.

As a side note, we tried using the latest Minefield build instead of the latest Firefox build, but we couldn't get a single test to run without a crash. Also, when these tests were run, Chrome 8 was not yet available... but as you'll soon see, that didn't hurt Google's results.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...10-edition.ars

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here
View Post

And the differences are milliseconds at best, or not even noticeable. These benchmarks are pointless and misleading.

Chrome/Iron Hater...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here
View Post

And the differences are milliseconds at best, or not even noticeable. These benchmarks are pointless and misleading.

That's what Firefox users say.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00biE5200
View Post

Chrome/Iron Hater...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dham
View Post

That's what Firefox users say.

I'm not denying that Chrome is a faster browser, but it's generally only by a few milliseconds and I personally can't tell a difference. I guess it sucks being on a mechanical HDD.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Half a second is noticeable between Chrome and Firefox in the first test.

Chrome's just the best for me. I used to be a big Firefox user, but then I moved to Iron and it's just so much better speed-wise.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Abit outdated for some of the browsers versions.

Opera
Opera 10.63
Opera 10.70_9071

Chrome
Chrome 8.0.552.0 - Dev
Chrome 7.0.517.41 - Beta

So a more update chart will be good.

Still good article!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I can't deny Chrome's unmatched speed, but these tiny improvements don't justify the add-ons and functionality I get when using Firefox.

·
Banned
936 Posts
I used Firefox for a very long time, but switched to Chrome because Firefox started crashing very often for some reason. I do miss some Firefox options though, but random crashes were just too annoying. Chrome does seem to load faster.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Durdle Class A View Post
I can't deny Chrome's unmatched speed, but these tiny improvements don't justify the add-ons and functionality I get when using Firefox.
Again with this add on crap. My god people, if you don't want to use a browser just say so. Don't start talking about how this pointless feature here and this skin there doesn't work for one or the other. Use what makes you happy and shut up. End this "mine is better than yours crap". It's childish at best.

Now, on a less aggravated tone...to what add ons do you speak of?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I use LastPass for Firefox and have all of my passwords and whatnot saved on FF. Is there a super easy way to xfer all cookies, browsing, bookmarks, etc into Chrome?

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
I use LastPass for Firefox and have all of my passwords and whatnot saved on FF. Is there a super easy way to xfer all cookies, browsing, bookmarks, etc into Chrome?
I believe on windows that chrome when you install it and start it up and will like all other browsers, offer to transfer these things over so long as you have the other browser still installed at that time.

But I'm not one for storing passwords inside a browser so while it will transfer them I don't recommended storing passwords that way (that goes for FF, Opera, Chrome, IE, and any other browser).

·
Registered
385 Posts
People forget that u open multiple tabs when u are browsing.Try it out right now.

Open 30+ tabs in Chrome ,Firefox, Opera and IE.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Half a second is noticeable between Chrome and Firefox in the first test.

Chrome's just the best for me. I used to be a big Firefox user, but then I moved to Iron and it's just so much better speed-wise.
I did the same thing. I can't stand how slow firefox is, but I HATE chromes bookmark solution. I want my sidebar back!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I enjoy the space of chrome. I have a much more viewable (so to say) space. FF just seems too cluttered for me. One of the minimalistic things I enjoy. I'm not that into being a minimalist though. FF was awesome when it came out.

Not to mention I'm a fanboy of Google

1 - 20 of 73 Posts