Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the DTR and Mobile processors have exposed dies which make for better cooling. I was wondering can you still use AS5 or other compunds of that nature with them or do you just need to put your heatsink directly on it without thermal grease or anything?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist
Still need the goo

but be carefull with that silver, Use a credit card to spread it out even on the die only...
As spooked said you need to keep the goo on the die itself... Thermal compound is non conductive but best kept on the die

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I use AS5 on my dtr and works out wondefully (it's AS5
) Anyway another way to put it on is putting a small blob in the mittle of the die and let the heatsink spread it when you clip it on.

Like everyone else said, keep the AS5 off the little resistors as much as you can, but if you get it on there by accident just wipe off and dont worry about it too much.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. One more question the the thermal grease that comes with the xp-120 is it the same as AS5 or do I need to just use the AS5

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandron19
Thanks for the help everyone. One more question the the thermal grease that comes with the xp-120 is it the same as AS5 or do I need to just use the AS5
No you need to buy as5 separately. The paste included with the XP120 is not as good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
No you need to buy as5 separately. The paste included with the XP120 is not as good.
thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts