Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between these for water cooling? I used both for air and I didn't see any difference, so I mostly use ceramique now since it's not conductive like AS5.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
As5 goes off under sub zero temps. Ceramique doesnt.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I really dont think that there is much difference between the two...I've used both and couldn't tell enough difference to say one way or the other..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester
As5 goes off under sub zero temps. Ceramique doesnt.
stated more clearly:
As5 comes off when you use extreme cooling measures. Ceramique stays on.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
Doesn't the cermaique stick like glue, when the AS5 more or less can easily be rubbed off?

Nope. That's adhesive...they make thermal adhesive too...

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
AS5 isn't conductive, but it does at as a capacitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns

Nope. That's adhesive...they make thermal adhesive too...

I think he's talking about how it makes the CPU stick to the HSF after it's been used for awhile.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

AS5 isn't conductive, but it does at as a capacitor.

I think he's talking about how it makes the CPU stick to the HSF after it's been used for awhile.

I though the ceramique was used to like 'glue' the heatsink to ramsinks, or to a cpu.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
I though the ceramique was used to like 'glue' the heatsink to ramsinks, or to a cpu.
Nope. It's like Sideburns said. Don't use that stuff. The heat xfer is suck.

:edit: the heat xfer of the epoxy that is.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
AS5> Ceramique. But Ceramique is not conductive, and also does not freeze in sub freezing temps. Which is why its most commonly used for phase. If you are not using phase, or any sub freezing cooling, then AS5 works slightly better. AS5 is not actually conductive either, its just slightly capacitive.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I get better temps watercooling with arctic ceramique, after trying both.

Artic Caramique is after all what swiftech gives you with your parts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
AS5 - ceramique is meant more for filling in small gaps, for instance i used ceramique to fill in the space between my 7800gt's memory and the aftermarket nv silencer that i applied.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
I have used both with little to no difference in temps- Use whichever you prefer.
Like most members have stated, Ceramique shines when you go sub-zero. AS5 gets the consistency of dried peanut butter when you go below freezing.

I love that analogy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts