Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating this as I'm about to assemble my machine tonight and figured I'd ask for a little extra advice before I proceed.

I just purchased a AMD 2600 and this heatsink so I was curious if I should just leave the tape that's on there, mount it and be done or should I run to the store and grab some AS5 and mount it that way?

I'm just a little concerned about going the AS5 way because I'd need to properly remove the tape and properly apply the paste. Just want to make sure I do it right because I haven't used the paste before and I've never had to remove tape off a heatsink either.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
For non-overclocking applications, the tape will work fine...but if you want max cooling out of that heatsink for some overclocking headroom, removing the tape is a piece of cake.

A putty knife will easily and safely scrape off the tape. Use a little rubbing alcohol/gas/lighter fluid (whichever you have) to remove any excess.

The secret to AS5 is putting a B-B size or about half a pea sized dot dead center of the cpu die, then apply the heatsink at a 90 degree angle to the die. The heatsink pressure should spread the AS5 evenly and achieve the best cooling.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Definitely get rid of the tape and go with AS5. Acetone (nail polish remover) may take that tape right off of there. If you have to scrape it off, be careful that you don't scratch the surface of the HS while doing so. You might want to pick up some assorted emery paper so if needed you can resurface the HS. It's not hard, just takes a little time. I believe there is a guide for it too.

If you have read several threads on air cooling, you probably know the "best" tip would be to go with a different HS. It is probably the best, near least expensive upgrade you can make.

And don't feel bad, I threw a lot of money and less than desireable items before I got here and learned otherwise.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juncti

I'm debating this as I'm about to assemble my machine tonight and figured I'd ask for a little extra advice before I proceed.

I just purchased a AMD 2600 and this heatsink so I was curious if I should just leave the tape that's on there, mount it and be done or should I run to the store and grab some AS5 and mount it that way?

I'm just a little concerned about going the AS5 way because I'd need to properly remove the tape and properly apply the paste. Just want to make sure I do it right because I haven't used the paste before and I've never had to remove tape off a heatsink either.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance

I would go with the AS5. The thermal pads are never the best way to go. I have had the best luck using a utility knife razor blade. If you use just blade you can more easily remove the pad. You just have to very careful not to damage the heatsink. Once you have the pad off, use isopropyl (rubbing) alchol to clean up. Also use the alcohol on the processor, make sure both surfaces are clean and dry. Place a small dot of AS5 on the cpu and use the blade to smooth it out into a thin film. That should do it.

P.S. Metarie holds a place dear to my heart... I was born at Lakeside Womens Hospital!

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

First, but not as good a suggestion as yours...

I wouldn't say that...but hanks anyway!

Juncti...lapping that HS may be agood idea regardless if you scratch it or not. The flatter/smoother the surface the better. This thread should give you all the info you need (there is a guide, Blob wrote it but it is for NB HS's and I didn't want to confuse you)

http://www.overclock.net/showthread....ighlight=emery

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'll definately be making the trip to get the AS5 shortly then. I'll also hit the drug store to grab some rubbing alcohol to finish the clean up. Just need to figure out where to get a good lint free cloth to use with it to clean it all off there.

As for the scraping, would a glass scraper work? I just bought one to scrape some stickers off my windows but haven't used it yet so the razor blade is brand new on there.

As for the heatsink, I'll likely stick with this one for now, people gave it good reviews and I'm not planning on any major over clocking right now as I primarily want to run Sagetv on it which shouldn't need the boost.

Only getting this upgrade because the chipset in my old mobo wouldn't work with the capture cards, so figured I'd up the processor while at it.

Thanks for all the assisstance

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
A glass scraper will work fine, just remember to keep the blade flat on the surface to keep from scratcthing.

A good paper towel will work fine with rubbing alcohol, and once the alcohol evaporates, just blow off any bits of paper left (if any)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great. I'll give it a go later this afternoon once I get all the parts in. How long do you think I should wait between cleaning the heatsink and applying the heatsink to the processor?

I don't think I'm going to go as far as sanding down the heatsink. Just don't think I'll need that much efficiency for the load it'll be taking on. Now down the line when I get ready to build a fresh pc with faster processing that will likely come into play.

Thanks again for all the tips, hopefully I'll be up and running by tonight.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

How long will the server be up? I have to be at work till 10pm CT (-6:00GMT) so 7pm to you is 1pm to me. AKA can you keep it up 24/7?

Server...huh???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lost too, what server?

Althought technically this will become a media server and run just about all day to record tv shows like a tivo.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juncti

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance

that's a good heatsink. I built my bro's pc with it and a semp 2200+... oc'd it to 2.4GHz :aacool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips. I managed to get the tape off, I spread a little bit of AS5 with an old credit card and got it set on there. Hardest part was mounting the 2nd clip of the heatsink because of the heatsink for the chipset being in the way. After that it was smooth sailing. Now I just need to figure out how to best set it up but that's a motherboard question. lol

And man is this heatsink ever quiet. WOW

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
:shades2: it's bright too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts