Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original Problem: ANSWERED
Alright, I just got a new Mobo for my Q6600 cause my last one sucked at OCing. So I install everything, put on a new application of AS5 (cooler in SIG)....on the old mobo with this cooler, I got temps <70C no matter what Vcore I was at.
So I put the new one on, it looks great - idleing at 26 at stock voltage. So I bump up the voltage and FSB. I boot up windows and run Prime95 - boom, goes to 80-90-100C....I was like *** and quickly turned it off.
I then reset the HSF (I can't get it to work worth crap because of the horrible connections LGA 775 sockets use. So now I think its on good, I try it again -SAME RESULT
So then I think....too much AS5 and take some off. Reseat and boom, SAME THING.....

I am at vcore = 1.45 and my idle temps are 31-35 depending on the core - but as soon as I stress, it jumps rediculously high.......
Help!!!

Question Two: ANSWERED
What is the best way to spread thermal compound. I have read about 20 different ways and everyone argues their way is best. I have tried the drop a glob in the middle and let the HS spread method, the do a line and let the heat sink spread, the prime the HS and then spread a thin layer evenly over the CPU with either Finger in bag or credit card method.....

What would the best way be for me with a Quad Core Q6600 (I know the dies are in different places then normal C2Ds) and the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 which has 2 copper pipes that make direct contact with the CPU but has aluminum between them.....

One person suggested putting some AS5 in the gaps between the copper pipes and aluminum and them putting a line on either pipe the length of the CPU. Then just attach it and let it spread......

Any advice for people who have these setups or something similar????
Thanks

QUESTION THREE: PENDING
I read that you face the arrows on the pins away from the HS and the grove in the top should be facing the HS......so now my question is, are you supposed to twist as you press down on the pin? (by pins I mean the 4 arms that attach to the motherboard)

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Hmmn... Busted Temp Sensor maybe, did you do an entire recoat of AS5?

Maybe try getting one of these to ensure a really good contact between Heatsink, Thermal Paste and CPU.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Edit:Stupid server, double posted...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bad sensors? Keep your hands on your heatsink when stress testing. If it really feels like that you can boil water on your CPU, you might have a problem...

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Are you sure you have it making good and firm contact. Look and see if maybe an edge of the hsf is hitting the caps around the socket.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Sounds like bad sensors.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think its bad sensors. Sorry for the delay in writing this - didn't feel to safe using the other computer.....
When I was sitting in the BIOS, the idle temp was 42 so i pushed down on the top of the HSF to see if it was the contact that was killing me. Sure enough, the temps slowly dropped all the way to 35 with me just lightly pressing.
So then I turned it off, removed the fan from the HSF and went to town trying to press those bloody connectors down. I got it as rock solid as possible (aka, any little bump and one side comes loose), more so than it was at least. Then I booted to windows. I tried Prime95 and the temps stopped around 70. This is still too high considering with my old mobo setup (same everything else), I could get to 1.5 vcore and still not hit 70. Now I think I may have removed too much AS5 when I tried removing some. Though I thought you only really needed a very thin layer (almost see through).

What is the best way to apply it....
Thanks for the quick responses

On a side note - my computer is much more stable at 3.4 Ghz than it was with the old mobo, so overclocking seems much more realistic once I get this crap figured out

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Try getting the retention clips I linked before, they'll be very useful if contact is the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I think you are applying AS5 wrong since this is a really wierd heatsink.

Turn the heatsink over, you will see two silver lines. Put 2 lines of AS5 along them stopping a little bit before the edges on each side. Do not put any on the processor or any on the actual heatpipes. This is the best way to apply AS5 on this heatsink. It will spread as soon as you screw it down and cover everything. Also, make sure you use rubbing alcohol and clean both base's very good.

1.45v is to much for this heatsink, Check my sig. I have the same processor and heatsink. 1.42v for me (loadline calibration enabled) resulted in 83C in prime95 on small FFTS. I'm not surprised your seeing 90-100 at 1.45. If you want those volts you'll have to go with a ultra-120 extreme with 2 good fans.

Highest voltage i'd go on this heatsink with the Q6600 G0 is 1.4. I'm sitting at 1.375v because 1.4 still gets pretty hot in intel burn test. 3.4GHz is the highest I can get on this heatsink with safe temps (under 72C at 1.375v). I managed to get 3.6GHz stable but it resulted in 84C (1.42v)

As others have said, get those clips. They are a must.

EDIT: To answer your other question.. The reason why your idles are low and your loads are so high is because your heatsink isn't getting the air out fast enough. A faster fan should help (the stock one sucks) but still.. Don't expect 1.45v on this heatsink.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Are you using teh bolt-thru kit? If not I suggest getting one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well in regards to the comment about how to put AS5 on that heatsink, you would be correct, I put it on wrong. I put a thin layer on the HS (all over) and a very thin layer on the processor. But here's the thing about the other part of your comment.....
When I had my old mobo and had this on there, I used the stock thermal paste that came with the HSF because I forgot to pick up some AS5. When I used that, I did the same thing, very thin layer on the processor and a very thin layer on the HS. I didn't use retention brackets or anything else, just strapped it down.
I then started overclocking. Like I said, I had no difficulty going all the way to 1.5 vcore with <70C temps.....so maybe you have yours on wrong.....
I have read lots of reviews that say that they use 1.4625 volts as the max for the cooler, and another site that says 1.45....with a Q6600.
Basically, I think I need a new coating of AS5 and then to get it nice and solidly attached (I want to avoid paying even MORE by getting retention brackets if I can avoid it).

My thing is, I used the exact same process on my other motherboard and the temps were more than fine - very good actually....what changed?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question:
What is the best way to spread thermal compound. I have read about 20 different ways and everyone argues their way is best. I have tried the drop a glob in the middle and let the HS spread method, the do a line and let the heat sink spread, the prime the HS and then spread a thin layer evenly over the CPU with either Finger in bag or credit card method.....

What would the best way be for me with a Quad Core Q6600 (I know the dies are in different places then normal C2Ds) and the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 which has 2 copper pipes that make direct contact with the CPU but has aluminum between them.....

One person suggested putting some AS5 in the gaps between the copper pipes and aluminum and them putting a line on either pipe the length of the CPU. Then just attach it and let it spread......

Any advice for people who have these setups or something similar????
Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have it on tight enough (stress think), but am pretty sure when I removed it and thought I had too much AS5, I removed too much - now it is VERY thin.

Before when I stressed it, it would instantly shoot up to 100C, which indicated that I hadn't had it tight enough. Now, it goes up more normally, but doesn't seem to be cooling very well - which leads me to think its the thermal compound.

Also, are you supposed to have your fan on the HSF blow across the fins or out away from them? I have a 140mm top fan on my case blowing out (which is pretty close to the HSF, a 120mm on the left of the HSF blowing out of the case (again, quite close) and then the HSF's fan blowing across the fins......

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seabiscuit68
View Post

I think I have it on tight enough (stress think), but am pretty sure when I removed it and thought I had too much AS5, I removed too much - now it is VERY thin.

Before when I stressed it, it would instantly shoot up to 100C, which indicated that I hadn't had it tight enough. Now, it goes up more normally, but doesn't seem to be cooling very well - which leads me to think its the thermal compound.

Also, are you supposed to have your fan on the HSF blow across the fins or out away from them? I have a 140mm top fan on my case blowing out (which is pretty close to the HSF, a 120mm on the left of the HSF blowing out of the case (again, quite close) and then the HSF's fan blowing across the fins......

Last time this happened to me, I did not have it down tight enough.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I think I have it on tight enough is that before, in the BIOS it would say around 42C, and I would press on the top of the HSF and the temps would drop to 35C or so. Now, when I press down on the top, they just stay around the 35 mark.....

The whole problem with this bloody thing is I have to remove the 120mm fan from the HSF to push the pushpins down. Then I have to reattach it (aka pull the rubber attachment pins through the fan holes), and when I do that, there is usually enough stress to pop out a pin......

So frustrating

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

I think you are applying AS5 wrong since this is a really wierd heatsink.

Turn the heatsink over, you will see two silver lines. Put 2 lines of AS5 along them stopping a little bit before the edges on each side. Do not put any on the processor or any on the actual heatpipes. This is the best way to apply AS5 on this heatsink. It will spread as soon as you screw it down and cover everything. Also, make sure you use rubbing alcohol and clean both base's very good.

1.45v is to much for this heatsink, Check my sig. I have the same processor and heatsink. 1.42v for me (loadline calibration enabled) resulted in 83C in prime95 on small FFTS. I'm not surprised your seeing 90-100 at 1.45. If you want those volts you'll have to go with a ultra-120 extreme with 2 good fans.

Highest voltage i'd go on this heatsink with the Q6600 G0 is 1.4. I'm sitting at 1.375v because 1.4 still gets pretty hot in intel burn test. 3.4GHz is the highest I can get on this heatsink with safe temps (under 72C at 1.375v). I managed to get 3.6GHz stable but it resulted in 84C (1.42v)

As others have said, get those clips. They are a must.

EDIT: To answer your other question.. The reason why your idles are low and your loads are so high is because your heatsink isn't getting the air out fast enough. A faster fan should help (the stock one sucks) but still.. Don't expect 1.45v on this heatsink.

Wow, if you listen to anyone else with the xig, it's just as good as the TRUE. Nice to see an honest person explain the performance of the HS.

And just an FYI, the Noctua NH-U12P can cool the CPU at voltages higher than 1.4v as well. My OC in the sig rig tops out at 68-72C depending on my ambient.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD+nVidia
View Post

Last time this happened to me, I did not have it down tight enough.

Alright, let me ask you this.....
How hard can I press on the push pins. The mobo seems pretty solid (its in my case and slightly raised up because of the connection pins between the mobo and the case), and doesn't seem like its gonna break when I push down.

Also, is there a certain way the pins should be (you can twist them counterclockwise and clockwise which is supposed to "lock and unlock" them but it doesn't seem to matter which orientation it is).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts